Oct. 2, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

I don't know about you guys but I'm already hearing about this loss from Leaf fans. Is there any kind of worse fan out there? A preseason game where like 5 or 6 real Habs are in the lineup....this is what they get excited about. Be thankful guys, 24 years is a long time not to win a Cup, but can you imagine 50? Or how about making the playoffs like once in the last dozen years but they still talk trash? Maybe it's because I live in an area where it's like 25% Habs, 25% Leafs, 25% Bruins, 25% other, but the hate is real  

7 minutes ago, illWill said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm already hearing about this loss from Leaf fans. Is there any kind of worse fan out there? A preseason game where like 5 or 6 real Habs are in the lineup....this is what they get excited about. Be thankful guys, 24 years is a long time not to win a Cup, but can you imagine 50? Or how about making the playoffs like once in the last dozen years but they still talk trash? Maybe it's because I live in an area where it's like 25% Habs, 25% Leafs, 25% Bruins, 25% other, but the hate is real  

Boy. Trash-talking over a preseason win shows a fan-base that really has lost the plot. That's just pathetic.

I don't believe in the Habs-Leafs rivalry anyway. The two franchises have played maybe three or four meaningful games against each other since about 1980. It's manufactured hype fueled by nostalgic old geezers and a Toronto-centric media oblivious to the fact that their team has been basically irrelevant for most of the past four decades. Proof of this, to me, is that the Habs are often much less motivated than the Leafs when the two teams meet. For the Leafs it's a Big Deal because crappy teams crave ever small victory they can get. For the Habs, it's like, 'huh? Who do these guys think they are, Boston?' Even the Habs-Sens rivalry is more authentic.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts

Lehkonen didn't have his best game of the pre-season... but he was still the best of all the forwards competing for that spot.

Sergachev is ready from an offensive standpoint, is not ready defensively.  I think he should go to Windsor.

Pateryn should be the #6 and Redmond the #7

Carr was very quiet and uninspiring before the great shot late.

Beaulieu didn't help his cause for top 4 taking a bunch of penalties.

Before camp i thought Audette was an ECHLer, he may have a pretty big role in St. John's.

McCarron needs time in St. John's.  It may not be a lot of time, but he needs some AHL time.  

Ghetto would be my 13th forward, i don't think he's good enough to be a regular.

Addison should go back to junior as an overager.  Not even AHL ready yet.

Condon might not even be the number 3 guy.  I want to see more of Lindgren. 

Scherbak stunk, i have to agree with Therrien. 

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Of course DD made the great pass to tie it up.... 

Carr with a great shot too. 

The pass was to McCarron,  but I digress. Was a good goal

I agree about Sergachev. He did look a little uninspired in his own end. 

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That was a fun OT aside from the Leafs scoring with under 40 seconds left.  Both teams had quite a few chances.

Just cant beat that 3 on 3 for entertainment.

11 hours ago, habscout said:

Has anyone else noticed that Beaulieu rarely if ever uses a slapshot?  When the Habs had their late 3rd period power play, he was at the point and wouldn't use a slapshot, or even a snapshot to get the puck to the net.  

That is a good thing and the opposite of a former Habs d-man, who would telegraph his slapshot long before he took it and those slapshots usually made a big bang as they hit the backboards or glass.

Guest Stogey24

Yup, wrister from the point can be just as deadly. Petry does it all the time and for the most part they find their way through

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Regarding Scherbak's low ice time:

well then of course you staple him to the bench in a PRE SEASON ggame, makes perfect sense cause a guy really learns on the bench.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

well then of course you staple him to the bench in a PRE SEASON ggame, makes perfect sense cause a guy really learns on the bench.

I know you're being sarcastic but you're absolutely right.  It does make perfect sense.  If you want to send a message to him about his compete level, that's exactly how you do it.  Doing nothing about it and then cutting him as planned today wouldn't have got the message across.  This was an issue last season for Scherbak at times in St. John's where he'd be on his own little island at times and not really getting involved in the play.  Eventually, you have to do something about it.  Sitting him for a period in a game where he's trying to make an impression on the coaches is one way to make an impression on Scherbak.

16 hours ago, illWill said:

Haha.

Seeing as I'm from Toronto I know where you are coming from. To be honest I kind of feel sorry for them, they are such passionate hockey fans and Toronto has been shit for so long. Mind you the days of Curtis Joseph and Matt Sundin, Toronto had a thing going but since then...

Watching the broadcast yesterday was a bit much with the Matthews hype train. I like the kid and think he is going to be a star but they were literally talking about him every second and when they weren't it was about Marner. At one point they were talking about how Matthews said thank you to the towel guy for bringing him a towel lol.

5 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Watching the broadcast yesterday was a bit much with the Matthews hype train. I like the kid and think he is going to be a star but they were literally talking about him every second and when they weren't it was about Marner. At one point they were talking about how Matthews said thank you to the towel guy for bringing him a towel lol.

That was in the intermission yesterday with Colby Armstrong providing that riveting nugget.  The first thought that came through my mind, they didn't want to keep Mike Johnson (who did do some studio analysis while being a great colour commentator) around but they're okay with having analysts who actually think something that mundane and completely irrelevant is actually worth discussing (with video highlights as well)?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I know you're being sarcastic but you're absolutely right.  It does make perfect sense.  If you want to send a message to him about his compete level, that's exactly how you do it.  Doing nothing about it and then cutting him as planned today wouldn't have got the message across.  This was an issue last season for Scherbak at times in St. John's where he'd be on his own little island at times and not really getting involved in the play.  Eventually, you have to do something about it.  Sitting him for a period in a game where he's trying to make an impression on the coaches is one way to make an impression on Scherbak.

Well I think there is a little more to coaching than stapling some young guys ass to the bench. Apparently that is all that Le Genius knows how to do.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That was in the intermission yesterday with Colby Armstrong providing that riveting nugget.  The first thought that came through my mind, they didn't want to keep Mike Johnson (who did do some studio analysis while being a great colour commentator) around but they're okay with having analysts who actually think something that mundane and completely irrelevant is actually worth discussing (with video highlights as well)?

Oh yeah that is a bit much. I mean I get you are trying to hype the guy but let's ease off the gas petal a little.

Not a big fan of this Armstrong guy personally his commentary felt a bit forced. Sportsnet has always been a Leaf booster channel but yesterday was comical.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

Well I think there is a little more to coaching than stapling some young guys ass to the bench. Apparently that is all that Le Genius knows how to do.

Do you really think this was the first time Scherbak has been flagged for this issue?  It has been a problem dating back to his time in Saskatoon before he was even drafted.  No coach does this the first time the player floats out there, you bench a player if the regular attempts to get him to stop doing it aren't working.  At some point, if the player isn't listening, he needs to be benched.  Given that he was being cut hours later, this was their last shot at trying to get the message across.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Do you really think this was the first time Scherbak has been flagged for this issue?  It has been a problem dating back to his time in Saskatoon before he was even drafted.  No coach does this the first time the player floats out there, you bench a player if the regular attempts to get him to stop doing it aren't working.  At some point, if the player isn't listening, he needs to be benched.  Given that he was being cut hours later, this was their last shot at trying to get the message across.

1 coach does.

John Tortorella benched Ryan Johanssen and then torched him in the media.

In Torts first game behind the bench after Todd Richards was fired. 

He did the same to Pacioretty in his first game with team USA. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1 coach does.

John Tortorella benched Ryan Johanssen and then torched him in the media.

In Torts first game behind the bench after Todd Richards was fired. 

He did the same to Pacioretty in his first game with team USA. 

There's a bit of a difference between the two instances but point taken.  (The World Cup was a short tournament so coaches needed to move players around the lineup pretty quickly before the games started to matter.  Johansen was a longer-term decision, curious as it was.) 

Still, it's quite rare that at the first sign of a player floating that he's immediately benched and called out publicly.  Knowing that effort level has been an issue with Scherbak in the past, I'm pretty confident in suggesting that his benching yesterday wasn't the first time the coaches have talked with him about it.  If that's not getting through, you have to try something else which is what they did.

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Torts is a complete ass. How this bozo keeps getting jobs is utterly beyond me.

He likely starts an interview with this;

"Well, when I got this ring..see this big championship ring I have here..."

On 10/2/2016 at 11:23 PM, illWill said:

Living in the Toronto area, when people ask where I was born.. I always say.. . Montreal .. thank God! 

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It would burn. The proper tool it would seem. 

The new website is really good. Nice work you guys.