Jan. 24, Calgary vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I had the worst feeling near the end about Price not getting a shutout but couldn't believe it when it actually happened. 

That aside, it was a great game by the Habs.

15 hours ago, illWill said:

What's impressive is that Montreal basically has a complete solid second line out of the lineup due to injury, but yet still leads the division by 8 points

The NHL standings right now are crazy.

Last week Nashville wasn't in a playoff spot. They are now top three in the Central.

Montreal leads the Atlantic by eight points but would be in a wildcard spot if they were a Metropolitan team.

Six teams are tied for last in the east with 49 points, which is only four points from a playoff spot. That means the Leafs are in a wild card spot but possibly two losses from dropping to the basement. That's ridiculous!

Only the top six teams in the West have a positive goal differential right now.

This season makes no sense.

If playoffs started today, one of  NYR-Habs  would not make it to round 2 while  one of  OTT-BOS would make it.

The system is wrong.

Please get back to 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5  ASAP.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

If playoffs started today, one of  NYR-Habs  would not make it to round 2 while  one of  OTT-BOS would make it.

The system is wrong.

That I still don't have a solid grasp of the current system - I have to sit down and think about it - shows that it's a ridiculous model for a hockey league. I agree, get back to the old 'Conference' model (although my personal favourite was probably the 1 vs 16th overall model from the early 80s. Now THAT was common sense itself!)

24 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

The system is wrong.

If you read the NHL standings by points, (as the NHL listed), you get weird results.  Right now the Leafs are 1 point behind the Bruins for the last playoff spot, but here is the kicker.... the Leafs have 6!!!!!!!!!!!! SIX Games in Hand.  Thats crazy.

With this new schedule and teams getting bye weeks and all that, I've started looking at points percentage instead of points, to get a bit of a more accurate look at who is likely falling where once the games get in hand get made up. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If you read the NHL standings by points, (as the NHL listed), you get weird results.  Right now the Leafs are 1 point behind the Bruins for the last playoff spot, but here is the kicker.... the Leafs have 6!!!!!!!!!!!! SIX Games in Hand.  Thats crazy.

With this new schedule and teams getting bye weeks and all that, I've started looking at points percentage instead of points, to get a bit of a more accurate look at who is likely falling where once the games get in hand get made up. 

Yeah of course, the standings, as of now, are trully messed up because of games played.

But I meant more in terms of how the first round matchup will be built.

Let's be honest here,  the Canadiens and all playoffs teams in the Metro are pretty much stronger than seed #2 and #3 of the Atlantic division.

It's a shame that one of Habs or Wild Card #1 (most likely a Metro team) would be eliminated after round 1  while  one of Atlantic #2 and #3 would be rewarded and make it to round 2.

4 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Yeah of course, the standings, as of now, are trully messed up because of games played.

But I meant more in terms of how the first round matchup will be built.

Let's be honest here,  the Canadiens and all playoffs teams in the Metro are pretty much stronger than seed #2 and #3 of the Atlantic division.

It's a shame that one of Habs or Wild Card #1 (most likely a Metro team) would be eliminated after round 1  while  one of Atlantic #2 and #3 would be rewarded and make it to round 2.

I agree with that.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That I still don't have a solid grasp of the current system - I have to sit down and think about it - shows that it's a ridiculous model for a hockey league. I agree, get back to the old 'Conference' model (although my personal favourite was probably the 1 vs 16th overall model from the early 80s. Now THAT was common sense itself!)

And I love the east-west matchups that could allow. Then again, less rivalries.

Anyone remember the old Adams Division? If memory serves, I think one year Montreal, Boston, and Buffalo were all in the top 5 overall, and two of them had to be eliminated by the semi finals!  It was insane.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anyone remember the old Adams Division? If memory serves, I think one year Montreal, Boston, and Buffalo were all in the top 5 overall, and two of them had to be eliminated by the semi finals!  It was insane.

Montreal was top 5 in 1993... And 3rd in the Adams behind Boston and Quebec. 

I thought it was good to see Muller talking alot to (coaching I guess) Lehkonen after a shift. He seems to be fitting in very well this year...both of them.