Hamrlik

habsfan_69

i think he'd be a good addition (obviously depending on cap space). his defense isn't as bad as it was with those horrible TB teams and offensively he continues to produce a point every other game. he's the type who should thrive with the new rule.

Originally posted by Tony

Bleh, I'm undecided but I think we've got plenty on defense (this is ignoring the player qualty).

Plus we might sign OHL star Andre Benoit (for Hamilton) and Witt wants out of Washington so we might start rumours...

If they could find a taker on Rivet I would welcome it. But how likley is that?

But Craig Rivet is also very hard to value. I think he's recognized throughout the leauge as a leader. But Montreal is Montreal and players that hasn't been taken to the hearts of fans and media tends to get more critics than what they might deserve...

And that makes Craig Rivet so hard-valued. I think all Habs-fan agrees that he is not worth the money he makes and still he wasn't bought out of his contract. I think some expected it and some may have realized that his value is closer to his salary than the cost of a buy-out. Therefore... If Gainey could find a taker for Rivet and land Hamerlik I would welcome it.

Along with Mike Rathje this is the defenseman I most wanted the Habs to sign.

I wonder if we have any room under the cap?

Does anyone know the cap rules with regards to injuries? How much of an exemption, if any, is given to replace players with long-term injuires?

Apart from Markov and possibly Souray---depending on which Sheldon shows up---the Habs' D is second-rate. Dandenault is a lateral move on Brisebois, Komisarek has a huge ceiling but is unseasoned, Rivet is fine but limited, etc.. They should definitely go after Hamrlik. I doubt they'll have cap space, however.

Originally posted by habsfan19

Where is gonna fit in on the blueline?

The only way I see this possible is if the habs trade away a defenseman or defensive prospect, Dandenault is who they went after and got, I don't see room for another, although it would be pretty cool...

habsfan19

Montreal Canadiens Blog

I believe the Habs have 8 d men signed at the moment. That would require two guys traded (and for what) if Hamrlik is signed.

I already think a trade is gonna happen. The Habs just have too many players this year.

I'd rather see the Habs pass on Hamrlik. The guy is not a team player, has sulked in the past when he thought he wasn't being paid enough, and he's a defensive liability. Gainey just let Brisebois go, so why replace him with a similarly bad defenceman?

All teams from Canada looks like they will make the playoffs.

Except Toronto *evil laugh*

Look at the size of the Leafs forwards though...:o. On average they are bigger than any of the Montreal forwards and most of their defense. It will be brutal watching Bouillon, Dandenault or Streit trying to check the likes of Sundin, Lindros, Allison, O'Neil, Kilger, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Kukenburg, Belak, Domi, Perrot, and possibly Nolan...

What are they going to do, try to bite their balls as those guys skate over top of them.....:idea:

Originally posted by beckham

All teams from Canada looks like they will make the playoffs.

Except Toronto *evil laugh*

Look at the size of the Leafs forwards though...:o. On average they are bigger than any of the Montreal forwards and most of their defense. It will be brutal watching Bouillon, Dandenault or Streit trying to check the likes of Sundin, Lindros, Allison, O'Neil, Kilger, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Kukenburg, Belak, Domi, Perrot, and possibly Nolan...

What are they going to do, try to bite their balls as those guys skate over top of them.....:idea:

If the Leafs manage to stay healthy, they'll be a force in the Conference. But we'll see.. in the New NHL, faster, no red lines.. those big tall Leafs might have a hard time catching our faster players.. we'll see. It is sure that they are intimidating though. I'm sure Gainey and Julien will do what is needed.

Bruins were big and tall and oh, so strong...

Look what we did to them. And that was in the "old" NHL.

Screw the Leafs and all their 6'4", 220 lbs pylons. The Habs will have a blast skating circles around them.

But if you go back a little further, maybe you remember the Flyers with Lindros, LeClair, Renberg, BrindAmour, Primeau walking all over some small habs teams. I don't think the rule changes will give smaller players an advantage, necessarily. It is the biggest players like Bertuzzi, Lindros, etc. who were hooked and hacked the most in the old NHL. If they clamp down on that, how do you stop those guys?

Small Habs who didnt had a quarter of the talent, speed or skills they have now.

The new rules WILL give smaller players who have SKILLS and SPEED an advantage. It was those players with skills and speed that were hooked and hacked the most in the old NHL, by the big slow untalented players.

If they clamp down on the hooking & hacking, its the players with skills, hockey sense and mobility that will benefit the most. DUH! That's why they changed the rules in the first place.

You don't think that players like Sundin, Lindros, Allison, O'Neil, Antropov, Nolan, Ponikarovsky etc. have skill to go with their size? Almost all of them rely on puck control for thier success, and if they can't be held up or hooked down, how are they going to be stopped. Same for players like Bertuzzi, Thornton, Nash etc. They could carry Bouillon and Dandenault around all night long, with one tucked under each arm....:(

They cant keep up with the skating of Bouillon and Dandeneault and will look stupid in the offensive zone without the puck when the habs go 5 players on 2 slow huge Dmen that cant keep up.

:ghg:

Yes, Hamrlik is a Flame. Good for them. It would have been good to see him with the CH on his chest but I don't think there was room for him especially at 3.5 million per year.

Alas, we had better get ready for the growing pains of Hainsey... hopefully Streit lives up to Bob's expectations.

Also, Ragnorson is still available: anyone know anything about him?