Trade Deadline Day 2022

dlbalr

I'm not used to deadline days where we see the Habs put on a clinic in asset management. In fairness, this has often been because we are a bubble/playoff team, but not always. It's kind of fun.

Way to go, Hugh-Gort!

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not used to deadline days where we see the Habs put on a clinic in asset management. In fairness, this has often been because we are a bubble/playoff team, but not always. It's kind of fun.

Way to go, Hugh-Gort!

We have 23 picks in the next 2 years nice job indeed by this management.

This is what I have been saying  for awhile, if you think you can make the playoffs by the trade deadline you should be adding in order to help you make the playoffs.  If you're out of the playoffs by trade deadline you should be getting value in return for your ufa's and rfa's that you don't want back. 

We just always did nothing well other teams in the race improved. Which always left us missing the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We have 23 picks in the next 2 years nice job indeed by this management.

This is what I have been saying  for awhile, if you think you can make the playoffs by the trade deadline you should be adding in order to help you make the playoffs.  If you're out of the playoffs by trade deadline you should be getting value in return for your ufa's and rfa's that you don't want back. 

We just always did nothing well other teams in the race improved. Which always left us missing the playoffs.

I'd have to go through the list year by year, but I definitely do not recall too many convincing trade deadline moves one way or the other. Vanek and Kovalev were two huge "adds," but then again Gainey did huge damage by stupidly not moving Souray when his value was off the chart. He also (bizarrely) shipped out Huet in a year when Price was not quite ready for prime time, weakening the team for its run. Usually, as you say, we seem to cleave to an unimpressive "neither in nor out" philosophy. At least this year, the vision was crystal clear, and the returns excellent. (I mean, we still have to put those picks to good use - but at least we have them, while also adding a nice crop of new prospects at the same time).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

A 2nd & a 7th for Kulak, sweet jesus that seems alot for a #7 d-man. Or are Oilers that hard up for d-men?

I thought I heard it was gonna be a buyers market with 300 d-men up for offer? But, Habs got what they asked for, it seems.

As i have said for 3 years, he was never a #7 dman and other GMs knew it.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd have to go through the list year by year, but I definitely do not recall too many convincing trade deadline moves one way or the other. Vanek and Kovalev were two huge "adds," but then again Gainey did huge damage by stupidly not moving Souray when his value was off the chart. He also (bizarrely) shipped out Huet in a year when Price was not quite ready for prime time, weakening the team for its run. Usually, as you say, we seem to cleave to an unimpressive "neither in nor out" philosophy. At least this year, the vision was crystal clear, and the returns excellent. (I mean, we still have to put those picks to good use - but at least we have them, while also adding a nice crop of new prospects at the same time).

Our best deadline buy under Bergevin was Petry.

Our best sale was fleischman and weise for danault and 2nd.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Our best deadline buy under Bergevin was Petry.

Our best sale was fleischman and weise for danault and 2nd.

Good points! I remember being very lukewarm about Danault, but he really surpassed expectations. Petry was a brilliant get. Thanks for that reminder.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That's true, you have always been higher on Kulak than the rest of us.  We know that at  least  Ken Holland agreed with you (and he likely wasn't the only GM after Kulak).  I never thought we would get a 2nd for him.  I am happy to be wrong about that. 

29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's true, you have always been higher on Kulak than the rest of us.  We know that at  least  Ken Holland agreed with you (and he likely wasn't the only GM after Kulak).  I never thought we would get a 2nd for him.  I am happy to be wrong about that. 

I think Hugo knew it too cause he wasnt trading him for less.

And in acquiring a guy like Barron in the lehkonen deal it certainly confirms my belief that they are looking for great skaters not Clydesdales on the blueline

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

It will be interesting to see how he is used in Edmonton.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yeah. Having finally gotten out from under the Julien/DD regime once and for all, he’s also out of excuses. A lot of folks (including me) see him as a legit #5 D-man. This will be his chance to prove them right. And if he continues to be a 6/7 guy in EDM, that will settle the argument.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Am just glad he is gone and give room for younger guys and hope he does well.