2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

nice save by Kaskisuo on a LVL PP. the Marlies had a break away on their PK.

Barron almost scored on the PP

Fun game 11:25 to go

with 58 seconds to go, Cederquist scores the empty net goal. 4-1 Rocket

Kaskisuo has been strong after that first goal. Great road win

:hyper:🚀 :clap:🚀 :hyper:

image.jpeg

a very good chance this week for Laval to take a serious hold on a playoff spot (or play-in). With two games against Belleville next weekend and a game against the bottom team in their division. If they continue playing well, they should make it.

image.png

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Utica's a bit stronger on paper now with Schmid and Daws both down there, a byproduct of the Allen trade.  That one could be tougher than it might seem.

I hope not, I am enjoying watching Laval's run and hoping that they make it through the play-in

This is good news for Habs fans.

The Rockets's play by play is in french on AHL.tv but you may be able to listen to the TSN690 broadcast (if they are broadcasting) and get the video feed from the AHL.tv

Game day

1-0 after 2 periods.

Perreault scores his 8th of the season and stops a long drought.

Barron continues to play well (as per play-by-play guy). IMHO he looks more at ease on the ice and is not forcing plays anymore.

The Rocket is taking too many unnecessary penalties, but Dobes has been strong

image.png

8 games left to secure a playoff spot

A disappointing effort ends Laval Rocket’s winning streak (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Emil Heineman received a pass along the boards, and just flippantly threw it to the centre of the defensive zone, with none of his teammates around. Ryan Schmelzer was there however, and he made no mistake as he put the Comets on top with just over four minutes left to play.

The Rocket never got remotely close after the tying goal, as the nonchalance and disjointed play led to the Comets burying the empty-net goal and ending Laval’s winning streak."

Rocket Weekly: Taking Care Of Business On The Road – HabsWorld.net

A single goal allowed by Akira Schmid--who got sent to Utica after the Devils acquired Jake Allen. Unintended consequences ...

The Rocket taking a few too many penalties for my liking, but a good sign to see Reinbacher getting a fair bit of time on the PK ... they obviously have confidence in the kid.

2-1 final, 36/37 saves by Dobes. After a bit of a shaky start to the season, he's now up to .905 for the full season.

I just finished watching the game, they hung on for the win but it could have gone to the Sens if Dobes had not played so well.

The play-by-play guys were praising Farrel's game, he did not stand out to me but maybe I do not appreciate his style that much. He had some flashes making some excellent passes, but he was quiet otherwise. Stephens played great on defensive assignments.

Norlinder-Barron was not as disastrous as I thought it may be. They played well. Trudeau was obviously energized by the sell out crowd. He seems to be that type of players that raises to the bigger games. Paquestte-Bisson and Reinbacher were just amazing shutting down the other team whenever they were on the ice.

Let's hope they continue playing well, and that they come into the playoffs on a hot streak

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The play-by-play guys were praising Farrel's game, he did not stand out to me but maybe I do not appreciate his style that much. He had some flashes making some excellent passes, but he was quiet otherwise.

I suspect that Farrel is a "quiet" / "smart" player who won't stand out if he makes it to the NHL but who could (if he makes it) have a decent career, but I don't expect him to become a Top 6 forward in the NHL (at least on a playoff/Cup contender) ... maybe a 3rd liner.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Trudeau was obviously energized by the sell out crowd. He seems to be that type of players that raises to the bigger games. Paquestte-Bisson and Reinbacher were just amazing shutting down the other team whenever they were on the ice.

I think Trudeau is another player who could have a decent career as a 7/6 defenceman.

I thought Reinbacher played well, as witnessed by his time on the PK and playing regularly throughout the game, but have to admit he made a couple of gaffs ... what impressed me was his skating and how he recovered from the gaffs to neutralize them, or at least try to.

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

.. what impressed me was his skating...

A RH- Guhle perhaps?

Not a clue if Trudeau will be a NHLer?

Statistically very similar to last year. Not sure about his usage by coaches and i havent noticed his play, or hear he has improved?

image.png

3:00 PM rematch today

image.png

It was only a few months ago that Laval was playing a lot of high-scoring games.  We know Dobes has turned it around but where did the offence go?  All of a sudden, it's a minor miracle if they get 25 shots on net and lately, they are routinely getting outplayed and outchanced.  I'm happy that Dobes is stealing some wins but they need to figure out how to start putting up some goals and scoring chances again.