2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread
13 minutes ago, DON said:

Friday the 13th opening day.

How will the new kids do today?

A few of them will be eating hot dogs.

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Mailloux, Norlinder, Roy, Kidney, Trudeau all promising ones to check out though.

RDS is showing game

And AHLTV has a free weekend promotion 

Agreed ... 7 p.m. ... be there or be oblong

Free streaming ... but the video quality really isn't very good. There is enough resolution but contrast is poor (maybe the lighting is not good enough), making it even harder than usual to read the numbers on the back of the Rocket home sweaters (the stripe significantly obscures the numbers).

I guess beggars can't be choosers, though! 😂

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Free streaming ... but the video quality really isn't very good. There is enough resolution but contrast is poor (maybe the lighting is not good enough), making it even harder than usual to read the numbers on the back of the Rocket home sweaters (the stripe significantly obscures the numbers).

It seems somewhat better now ... unless I'm just getting used to it. I could even tell it was Roy scoring the second Rocker goal. :)

They noted, Mailloux with sweet pass to Kidney.

Norlinder poor shot into shinpads & turnover led to 2nd Canuck goal.

PBP guy talking up Roys play in the 1st.

Gignac 3 shots

2-2 end of 1st. 

Young talent can be exciting ... but they also tend to make the mistakes of youth ... down 4-2 about 4 minutes left in 2nd

EDIT: 5-2 with 3:27 left

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

EDIT: 5-2 with 3:27 left

And while the D has not been impressive, five goals on 15 shots was enough, and Strauss Mann makes his Rocket debut in the season opener already.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And while the D has not been impressive, five goals on 15 shots was enough, and Strauss Mann makes his Rocket debut in the season opener already.

Not certain how much of the blame goes to Dobes.

Mailloux gets 1st pro fight out of the way.

Down 6-3 now.

Mailloux forces puck over glass penalty 7 minutes left in 3rd, he seems to have played an 'active' game.

Pulled goalie with a PP with over 7 minutes left in game.

& rocket score; 

Laval Rocket
Joel Armia
(PP)

I didnt see the game but sounded like the big kid played very well and stood out.

https://www.tvasports.ca/2023/10/13/logan-mailloux-a-laisse-sa-marque

"Logan Mailloux was probably the most effective defenseman on the roster.

The towering defenseman brought to the AHL the gritty style of play that allowed him to dominate his junior rivals. He made his presence felt physically and didn't hesitate for a second to defend his partner Mattias Norlinder by throwing down the gloves when the Swede was hit hard along the boards in the third period."

...and sounded like Norlinder/Trudeau fumbled half-dozen chances and had a few miscues.

But Struble had a solid game.

(Struble-Mailloux seems like a interesting pairing they could try.)

Armia got two goals but outside the end of the game when the Rocket had their goalie pulled I honestly do not recall hearing his name "called" much (I was simul-viewing the BC-Hamilton CFL game) ... other than the two goals it seemed very familiar.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

I didnt see the game but sounded like the big kid played very well and stood out.

https://www.tvasports.ca/2023/10/13/logan-mailloux-a-laisse-sa-marque

"Logan Mailloux was probably the most effective defenseman on the roster.

The towering defenseman brought to the AHL the gritty style of play that allowed him to dominate his junior rivals. He made his presence felt physically and didn't hesitate for a second to defend his partner Mattias Norlinder by throwing down the gloves when the Swede was hit hard along the boards in the third period."

...and sounded like Norlinder/Trudeau fumbled half-dozen chances and had a few miscues.

But Struble had a solid game.

(Struble-Mailloux seems like a interesting pairing they could try.)

That's why I think he eventually quartebacks the Habs power play as his passing skills and shot are high level. 

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Armia got two goals but outside the end of the game when the Rocket had their goalie pulled I honestly do not recall hearing his name "called" much (I was simul-viewing the BC-Hamilton CFL game) ... other than the two goals it seemed very familiar.

They (homers?) gave Armia 2nd star (Roy 3rd star) in 7-4 loss, so my guess is 2g stood out enough.

Gignac with 1g 6 shots seemed best Rocket to me.

Joel Armia already making an impact on and off the ice - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

Rocket game is early today 3:00PM EST

53256486589_836071e3ed_3k-scaled.jpg?res