2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Last night was a rough one for Laval as they lost 5-0 to Syracuse in Joel Bouchard's 'revenge' game.

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1025273

Laval's goaltending is struggling so far this year: Mann and Dobes are 61st and 62s (out of 66!), respectively, in the save percentage rankings.

I know they want to be patient but at some point, if I was in charge, I'd be inclined to call J-F Berube and see if he wants a PTO deal (25 games).  Mann could then go to Trois-Rivieres and split time with Vrbetic and Emond would join them whenever he's cleared to return as he's not exactly an AHL-level goalie either.

A Laval housekeeping note, the Habs quietly converted Lindstrom's emergency recall to a regular one yesterday which means he's staying with them for the time being.  Makes a lot of sense, really, with them going on the road.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know they want to be patient but at some point, if I was in charge, I'd be inclined to call J-F Berube and see if he wants a PTO deal (25 games).  Mann could then go to Trois-Rivieres and split time with Vrbetic and Emond would join them whenever he's cleared to return as he's not exactly an AHL-level goalie either.

A Laval housekeeping note, the Habs quietly converted Lindstrom's emergency recall to a regular one yesterday which means he's staying with them for the time being.  Makes a lot of sense, really, with them going on the road.

I also note that with Guhle healthy, they were back to 6 healthy defencemen, so it was either convert the "emergency recall" to a regular recall or send him back to Laval.

On 10/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, tomh009 said:

Laval's goaltending is struggling so far this year: Mann and Dobes are 61st and 62s (out of 66!), respectively, in the save percentage rankings.

what can you expect when you have a goalie named "Stress Man"...

3 hours ago, DON said:

Hope things improve.

Rocket Weekly: The Tough Start Continues – HabsWorld.net

"They look lost in their own end and that, coupled with sub-par goaltending performances, is always going to equal trouble."

Roy seems to be doing great. On another post quoting EOP, He seems to have impressed those that follow Laval and the Habs prospects. Based on the HabsWorld report, Mailloux is also doing well.

I have not followed the Rocket too much this season, and when I check up on the team and dismiss the goaltending stats or the wins/losses. I am looking for indicators of the development progress of the prospects.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

And he is shooting a lot which means he is carrying the play and/or generating chances —- by extension it means he is attacking and not defending 

MAB also shot lots, but didnt mean he could defend a lick.

55 minutes ago, DON said:

MAB also shot lots, but didnt mean he could defend a lick.

ok, let's compare:

image.png

Mailloux is physically better built for the NHL and a better skater. MAB was not drafted. Now, MAB produced much more in the minors. Mailloux's development has was interrupted and he is trying to get back on track.

I am hopeful Mailloux will have a better career than Marc-André

image.png

watched the 3rd. Rocket players seem NOT to be playing collectively. Too many chips off the glass and dumps behind the opposing net without being able to gain puck possession.

Dobes looked nervous and green, handled puck like a grenade.

Looking forward to the Marlies game.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

It definitely is.  That's one of the things I've observed over the years. 

He has been perhaps the dark horse candidate of the young defense prospects but his brute strength and physical play can only be matched by Arber among the young defensemen. It seems like he has quietly progressed away from the spotlight that the other prospects have received.  I like the fact that he could have signed anywhere as he spent 4 years in college but chose to sign with the Habs despite all their young prospects. I think that showed a lot of confidence. I am cheering for him. 

• Like 1