2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, DON said:

He 'should' get better with more pro game time.

But defending well in the NHL is a tough task, does he have the hockey IQ needed to anticipate and recognize stuff.

Am just glad he didnt get involved in any fights or take any penalties.

Agreed. I’m hoping he has a prolonged stint in Laval to assess his hockey IQ and see if he has enough to develop into a legit Dman, rather than get rushed back up in a couple of weeks.

56 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Dobes didn't look good in the shootout but that was one of his better performances of the season if nothing else.

Dobes was given 3rd star (Roy was 2nd:thumbs_up:).

Hartford Wolf Pack @ Laval Rocket Friday, December 08, 2023 | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Highlights: Another blown lead sinks the Laval Rocket - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Veteran Philippe Maillet was demoted to the fourth line, while Jared Davidson was made a healthy scratch. On defence, Arber Xhekaj took over top-pairing duties from Tobie Paquette-Bisson alongside Logan Mailloux. In net it was Jakub Dobeš getting the nod, hoping to shake off the sting of a poor outing against Abbotsford last weekend."

" First was Arber Xhekaj running the point on the five-on-three, teeing up a pass for Philippe Maillet that the veteran rocketed by Louis Domingue to open the scoring."

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Riley Kidney seems to be stepping it up. Nice!  Their record seems to be better with Arber in the lineup??

Hes played 3 games and they are 1-1-1

Seems a little too early to say much definitive 

20 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Riley Kidney seems to be stepping it up. Nice!  Their record seems to be better with Arber in the lineup??

Kidney is a very good puck handler and very creative offensively. Gignac has been playing well and his line has created lots of chances.

Every time Xhekaj and Mailloux have been paired, they have played great on both "sides of the puck". I hope they stay together for a while in Laval and that eventually they play together in the NHL.

Heineman has been creating lots of opportunities and hitting a few posts, he should start potting them in soon.

overall it seems the Rocket is on the verge or taking off ;)

On Xhekaj working on his deficiencies in the minors;

"...When you’re trying to learn something (or unlearn a bad habit), the slightly slower pace of the AHL is crucial to apply the changes he’s being asked to make.  From there, those habits become more ingrained and then (in theory, at least) they carry over when he’s recalled..."

Rocket Weekly: The Losing Streak is Over – HabsWorld.net

I just hope, injuries on back-end dont crop up and shorten Xhekaj's stay in Laval and Mgmt dont respond to calls from the peanut gallery, to recall the tough guy simply to fight and intimidate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DON said:

On Xhekaj working on his deficiencies in the minors;

"...When you’re trying to learn something (or unlearn a bad habit), the slightly slower pace of the AHL is crucial to apply the changes he’s being asked to make.  From there, those habits become more ingrained and then (in theory, at least) they carry over when he’s recalled..."

Rocket Weekly: The Losing Streak is Over – HabsWorld.net

I just hope, injuries on back-end dont crop up and shorten Xhekaj's stay in Laval and Mgmt dont respond to calls from the peanut gallery, to recall the tough guy simply to fight and intimidate.

(forgot he is waiver eligible)

Harris should * have gone * also go to Laval to learn to protect himself. If he can learn that, he will have a decent career in the NHL. He is smart and has great vision and IMHO is similar to Gostisbehere

Edited by alfredoh2009
screwed up, but since I am praising Harris, left it here

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

(forgot he is waiver eligible)

Harris should * have gone * also go to Laval to learn to protect himself. If he can learn that, he will have a decent career in the NHL. He is smart and has great vision and IMHO is similar to Gostisbehere

Well, i would say; Harris, Barron & Guhle all need to learn how to protect themselves better. Guhle took a knee to back/head, but he was down and out on that one and that seemed like a dirtier play to me than Barron getting hit.

Barron had a couple braincramps last game; 1 he took big hit he didnt "expect" (but should of anticipated) and other caused a goal.

5 hours ago, DON said:

Well, i would say; Harris, Barron & Guhle all need to learn how to protect themselves better. Guhle took a knee to back/head, but he was down and out on that one and that seemed like a dirtier play to me than Barron getting hit.

Barron had a couple braincramps last game; 1 he took big hit he didnt "expect" (but should of anticipated) and other caused a goal.

yes, but Harris, this season, had a tendency of freezing with the puck in the defensive zone to then turning to absorb the hit just to be crushed against the boards. It became very common for him and that was concerning for his health.

Last season he was able to move swiftly out of harms way.

Tonight's lines:

Roy-Gignac-Maillet

Kidney-Condotta-Bourque

McKay-Davidson-Légaré

Mysak-Yaremko-Voyer

Xhekaj-Mailloux

Norlinder-Galipeau

Trudeau-Paquette-Bisson

Dobes

Simoneau is injured, not a scratch.  Beaudin and Keeper are healthy scratches on the back end.

"Even though Lehigh Valley dominated for most of the game, putting over 40 shots on Dobes, who was terrific all night, it was two forward prospects who made the difference for the remainder of the game."

Dobes Solid In Rocket Victory | RECAP: LAV @ LV - The Hockey News Montreal Canadiens News, Analysis, and More

"It was Kidney’s sixth goal of the season and his third goal and fifth point in his last three games. On top of him getting the game winner, he also had a team-high six shots on goal."

Rocket @ Phantoms recap & highlights: Laval steals two points (habseyesontheprize.com)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

After Lehigh Valley took the lead back in the second, Jan Mysak tied it up in the third, setting the stage for Riley Kidney to get the winner on the power play with 1:07 left to give Laval the 4-3 win.  Dobes had 42 saves, his most in the pros so far.  :1banana:

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1025541

I listened to the third period and all the way to the winning goal. Dobes stole this one by keeping the game close and by coming up with spectacular saves late in the game. Three quality starts in a row for him

Lavel vs Hershey 7PM today

Is it too much to ask for a 3 game winning streak?

Sorry to say, 20-6 is an impressive record.:(

(Also too bad both Farrell & Simoneau are out hurt)

image.png

image.png