2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

I thought it was a penalty by Barron earlier, it was Condotta. But Barron was the one messing up leading to that penalty

Syracuse is leading Utica 4-3 at the end of 2. Utica could be eliminated today

• Like 1

7:42 to play in the third. Laval leading by one. They are managing the clock well

• Like 1

Stephens gets called for sending the puck over glass with his glove, with 6:17 to play.

Faceoffs are going to be a factor here.

they score, the PK looked passive on that one. But they have been playing well all game.

Rocket needs to win in regulation time

Roclet was hemmed in for almost 2 minutes, finally, Mailloux iced the puck to get a respite

3min to go

1:16 to go, faceoffs in the Senators zone. Time out called

If the Rocket does not score in regulation time, they will be eliminated

LOTS of ice-time for Xhekaj and Tuch tomorrow?

I am sad for the kids, they deserved to continue playing.

I have posted it a few times over the season, I feel the Habs organization should have helped Laval better to allow them to compete in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

LOTS of ice-time for Xhekaj and Tuch tomorrow?

why? It's not an exhibition game. Many AHLers on the Rocket team are playing for contracts. If the Habs pushes to play the kids more than deserving Rocket veterans, I will be disappointed for them

Stephens, Maillet, Andersson, Cederqvist, Durandeau

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am sad for the kids, they deserved to continue playing.

I have posted it a few times over the season, I feel the Habs organization should have helped Laval better to allow them to compete in the playoffs.

With only a handful of open contract slots, two of which were needed to sign Hutson/Tuch and others perhaps to make deals around the draft, I am not certain how much more the Habs could have done ... sadly, injuries again necessitated some Rocket players playing more games with the Habs than might have been ideal.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

why? It's not an exhibition game. Many AHLers on the Rocket team are playing for contracts. If the Habs pushes to play the kids more than deserving Rocket veterans, I will be disappointed for them

To give the youngsters maximum exposure to allow them to best prepare for next season ... they are the future of the Habs far more than anyone whose getting another contract depends on how they play tomorrow ... not "nice", but it is the role for an AHL team.

Just now, GHT120 said:

To give the youngsters maximum exposure to allow them to best prepare for next season ... they are the future of the Habs far more than anyone whose getting another contract depends on how they play tomorrow ... not "nice", but it is the role for an AHL team.

I hope they do not do that. It would be a mistake by J-F Houle if he manages his bench like a house league team

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope they do not do that. It would be a mistake by J-F Houle if he manages his bench like a house league team

Sometimes, it's not just the coach who decides who plays.  Management will want the prospects in, not the veterans as that's what's best for the organization. 

• Like 1

some disappointment among the Laval Rocket veterans, feeling that some of the veterans that didn;t play may have done better than a few of the 10 rookies that played tonight.

On pourra lancer des roches autant qu’on voudra à JF Houle et ses adjoints, mais la plupart des décisions quant à la gestion du personnel ne venaient pas d’eux. Je n’ai jamais senti que le vestiaire avait arrêté de jouer pour JF Houle cette année. Il demeure un entraîneur apprécié de ses joueurs.

my translation:" one could throw rocks (criticize) all we want to JF Houle and his assistants, but most of the decisions with regards to personnel wasn't theirs.  I (Marcotte) never felt the players had stopped playing for JF Houle this year. He remains a coach appreciated by his players"

Edited by alfredoh2009

The reality is that an AHL team is never in full control of its roster, the parent club manages it to (1) develop prospects and (2) provide depth in case of injuries.

Further, as much as the Rocket had some good prospects in its lineup this year, the most successful AHL teams tend to be stronger on veteran players and lighter in promising teenagers.

So, I doubt that the Habs’ management team had any expectations of a long Rocket playoff run this year.

Great to see Reinbacher get a dozen games in Laval under his belt, on smaller ice and intro to NA pro game.

Laval Rocket eliminated from playoff contention with loss (habseyesontheprize.com)

Luke Tuch stood out for me quite a bit among the forward group. He plays somewhat of a thankless game that probably won’t show up on the scoresheet a lot, but he back checks like his life depends on it, and is very capable in the dirty areas. If he keeps bringing that level of effort at both ends of the ice, he’ll eventually find himself getting a chance in the NHL.

David Reinbacher is just so quietly effective. Outside of his assist, what really stood out for me was his puck distribution in his own zone. He seems to have an innate sense for where his teammates will be, and his first pass on the breakout is almost always right. He’s on the right track, and it will be interesting to see how he develops next season.

• Like 4