2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

Stephens played hurt last game, he is out tonight. Reinbacher was boarded last night, They will not play tonight in addition to Struble

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am sad for the kids, they deserved to continue playing.

I have posted it a few times over the season, I feel the Habs organization should have helped Laval better to allow them to compete in the playoffs.

You were wrong every time you posted it... ignoring issues like the 50 contract limit, or the idea that they should trade picks for 26-28 year old journeymen (even with an AHL limit on how many vets they could carry) and other issues that were all explained to you at the time but double down on it now.

An AHL winning team is not necessarily the same as a team that is developping kids for the NHL.  Getting vets who take ice time away from kids isnt the way. That said, ideally you do both, but the development always has to be the priority, especially for a team rebuilding like Montreal.

Joshua Roy is suspended by the league for tonight's game for an elbow in yesterday's game

Last game with the Habs organization for Norlinder, Cederqvist, Durandeau, Bourque, Galipeau, Andersson

Edited by alfredoh2009
added to list of UFAs

On 4/20/2024 at 6:15 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Last game with the Habs organization for Norlinder, Cederqvist, Durandeau, Bourque, Galipeau, Andersson

Add Maillet, McKay, Paquette-Bisson, and Kaskisuo to the list of free agents from that lineup.  Of the ones you listed, I think Galipeau might be back and if Durandeau takes an AHL deal (he'll be hard-pressed for an NHL two-way contract), I could see him back.  Norlinder/Cederqvist/Andersson might all get qualifying offers if they sign overseas before the QO deadline in June so it's possible they'll at least be with the organization (technically) for a little while longer.  Off my additions, I could see them wanting to re-sign all of them in the right scenario.  Long story short, some of these free agents will be back.

(Stephens and Keeper are also free agents from those who didn't play the last game), I think they'll try to re-sign Stephens but Keeper will move on.)

By the way, Laval lost 2-1 yesterday, got goalie'd.

Seems like will be a smart player.

David Reinbacher’s time in Laval will benefit his transition to Montreal in many ways - The Athletic

"Rocket coach Jean-François Houle provided a lucid, straightforward assessment of what he saw from Reinbacher over 11 games.

“I like his gap control a lot. I think his stick is really good,” Houle said. “He needs to get stronger. I think he can provide even more offence and I think he was maybe cautiously playing back a little bit, which is normal.”

"As he adds muscle — something Kaiden Guhle also said he hopes to do this offseason despite having two years of NHL experience under his belt — Reinbacher’s aggressive nature in battle situations will become that much more effective."

• Like 4

On 4/21/2024 at 7:22 PM, dlbalr said:

Add Maillet, McKay, Paquette-Bisson, and Kaskisuo to the list of free agents from that lineup.  Of the ones you listed, I think Galipeau might be back and if Durandeau takes an AHL deal (he'll be hard-pressed for an NHL two-way contract), I could see him back.  Norlinder/Cederqvist/Andersson might all get qualifying offers if they sign overseas before the QO deadline in June so it's possible they'll at least be with the organization (technically) for a little while longer.  Off my additions, I could see them wanting to re-sign all of them in the right scenario.  Long story short, some of these free agents will be back.

(Stephens and Keeper are also free agents from those who didn't play the last game), I think they'll try to re-sign Stephens but Keeper will move on.)

By the way, Laval lost 2-1 yesterday, got goalie'd.

Looking at the potential AHL roster next season, it should be better if Maillet/Stephens/Paquette-Bisson re-sign.

Rocket players not expected to be back: Norlinder, Cederqvist, Durandeau, Bourque, Galipeau, Andersson

Prospects expected to graduate to the AHL: Beck, Mesar, F.Xhekaj, Hutson, Guindon,

In bold, players without a contract expected to be resigned:

Heineman-Maillet-(Mesar)

Farrell-(Beck)-Gignac

Tuch-Stephens-Perreault

McKay-Condotta-(F.Xhekaj)

(Guindon?)

Paquette-Bisson-Mailloux

(Hutson)-Reinbacher

Trudeau-(Keeper-RD???)

Dobes/Kaskisuo

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Looking at the potential AHL roster next season, it should be better if Maillet/Stephens/Paquette-Bisson re-sign.

Rocket players not expected to be back: Norlinder, Cederqvist, Durandeau, Bourque, Galipeau, Andersson

Prospects expected to graduate to the AHL: Beck, Mesar, F.Xhekaj, Hutson, Guindon,

In bold, players without a contract expected to be resigned:

I think Stephens has a chance at re-signing.  I don't expect Maillet to though, that one didn't quite go as planned so I think he'll move on.  Keeping Paquette-Bisson would be nice but he needed some convincing to come back for this season; would he want to stay in the mentor role or try to go somewhere where he can play a bigger role?

I'm surprised you have Galipeau in the not expected to be back column.  I think that's exactly who they'll try to bring back in that 6/7 role as depth. 

I'd scratch Guindon off your list.  The fact they didn't even give him a sniff after his junior team was eliminated tells me they're moving on.

And from the lines, Keeper will almost certainly move on.  He could barely crack the lineup when healthy so I suspect he'll look for somewhere with more of a chance to play.

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think Stephens has a chance at re-signing.  I don't expect Maillet to though, that one didn't quite go as planned so I think he'll move on.  Keeping Paquette-Bisson would be nice but he needed some convincing to come back for this season; would he want to stay in the mentor role or try to go somewhere where he can play a bigger role?

I'm surprised you have Galipeau in the not expected to be back column.  I think that's exactly who they'll try to bring back in that 6/7 role as depth. 

I'd scratch Guindon off your list.  The fact they didn't even give him a sniff after his junior team was eliminated tells me they're moving on.

And from the lines, Keeper will almost certainly move on.  He could barely crack the lineup when healthy so I suspect he'll look for somewhere with more of a chance to play.

I do not think Galipeau is even an AHL defenseman, but the coach and team mates have commented how his shot blocking and "taking one for the team"... hardly a reason to keep him around IMHO.

Maillet had a strong first half of the season, if I remember correctly, and then wore down. With Gignac maybe being lost on waivers, I think they will try to bring Maillet back if not only for being a veteran.

I really hope they re-sign Paquette-Bisson, he was the best defensive defenseman in Laval and helped anyone that played with him. I would give him a similar contract as Xavier Ouellet got when with the Habs and now Pittsburgh

as expected and mentioned when he was acquired:

The early signing sets it up that the Habs could issue him a qualifying offer to retain his rights, just in case something clicks over there and he becomes a bigger threat.  Doesn't mean they will but it makes it easier to do so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1