Game 38 Buffalo at Montreal 7pm Thursday Jan 4

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree with you on the mishandling of injuries last year. Cole has not fully recovered from playing hurt... but he got his bonus :rolleyes:

to me the unwillingness to make minor trades to give the team and AHL prospects a breather; that is annoying me. MSL mentioned that Stephens gives that type of relief. I wish in this learning season that they would surround the core with some quality fillers. Like Pearson for example.

As was pointed out last year.  You still have a 50 contract limit, so this idea of making minor trades to help laval is limited by that.  You also cant give up draft picks and prospects (even late ones) for rentals to help your AHL team.  It is what it is but helping the Rocket cant be more important than the long term build of the Habs.

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

As was pointed out last year.  You still have a 50 contract limit, so this idea of making minor trades to help laval is limited by that.  You also cant give up draft picks and prospects (even late ones) for rentals to help your AHL team.  It is what it is but helping the Rocket cant be more important than the long term build of the Habs.

To piggyback off this with the math for anyone wondering, they're at 46 now.  Hutson when he signs will be 47.  I think Tuch will also sign for the stretch run (it's the only thing they can offer to stand out over testing free agency in August) so that's 48.  If they have to take an extra contract back in a deadline swap, that's 49 and they'll want to leave a spot open for any offseason movement since the contract count only resets July 1st.  It simply doesn't leave room to add an extra depth piece.

Now, there's a case to make that they could make a player-player trade and deal from their defensive surplus in Laval to get an extra forward, either someone for the fourth line or to backfill for Stephens' likely long-term stint with the Habs.  You could probably sell me on that one.  But in terms of adding a body without sending someone the other way, that might not be the most practical route to take right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

To piggyback off this with the math for anyone wondering, they're at 46 now.  Hutson when he signs will be 47.  I think Tuch will also sign for the stretch run (it's the only thing they can offer to stand out over testing free agency in August) so that's 48.  If they have to take an extra contract back in a deadline swap, that's 49 and they'll want to leave a spot open for any offseason movement since the contract count only resets July 1st.  It simply doesn't leave room to add an extra depth piece.

Now, there's a case to make that they could make a player-player trade and deal from their defensive surplus in Laval to get an extra forward, either someone for the fourth line or to backfill for Stephens' likely long-term stint with the Habs.  You could probably sell me on that one.  But in terms of adding a body without sending someone the other way, that might not be the most practical route to take right now.

@dlbalr , thank you for the clarification. I would not hate to see Norlinder traded for that depth piece you mention. He is a contract-for-contract candidate: not in Montreal plans but a good option for a team with no LD depth.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would not hate to see Norlinder traded for that depth piece you mention. He is a contract-for-contract candidate: not in Montreal plans but a good option for a team with no LD depth.

On their AHL team?  Don't know that Norlinder has much of an NHL future anywhere.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

On their AHL team?  Don't know that Norlinder has much of an NHL future anywhere.

Some players, especially D-men, do mature later (Kovacevic is a good example of that) so I don't know that Norlinder is quite a write-off. But given the Habs' LD depth, probably not on this team.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Some players, especially D-men, do mature later (Kovacevic is a good example of that) so I don't know that Norlinder is quite a write-off. But given the Habs' LD depth, probably not on this team.

something like that.