Joshua Roy called up

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The kid seems to have some offensive moxy - which sure can’t hurt, at this point.

With the "kids" I am far more concerned about what this season does for their development than what they can do for the Habs this season.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With the "kids" I am far more concerned about what this season does for their development than what they can do for the Habs this season.

Good point.

This feels rushed and counter to smart player development.

Seems generally accepted that outside of elite talent it is best to let players marinade in minors for a couple seasons, numerous success takes of this.

Habs for some reason keep ####ing this up and wondering why our player development sucks…???

Hopw for the best for he kid but feel this is way too soon and putting the kid onto a loser team with crap supporting  cast is gonna set him up for failure..

Who is he gonna play with?

Cant see him getting first line time, so best hope is he plays with Monahan, who isn’t gonna be around long so seems stupid to pair these two, or he gets to play with Evans ?? The black hole of offense?   This is a terrible idea and makes me lose a lot of faith in current management.  The season is supposed to be a loser, give the kid time to adapt and grow so he can have sustained success.

Look at Calgary and the Zary kid, 4 years in AHL, finally gets to come up and is third fasted flame to 30 points next to Gaudrea and Iginla, same pattern many successful teams follow.

Roy likely doesn’t need 4 seasons in minors but should definitely be finishing out this one and see where he is next year.

This move shows lack of forethought, inability to stick to a plan and desperation from Habs management. Not good qualities in leadership.

Losing lots of confidence in management.

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

Good point.

This feels rushed and counter to smart player development.

Seems generally accepted that outside of elite talent it is best to let players marinade in minors for a couple seasons, numerous success takes of this.

Habs for some reason keep ####ing this up and wondering why our player development sucks…???

Hopw for the best for he kid but feel this is way too soon and putting the kid onto a loser team with crap supporting  cast is gonna set him up for failure..

Who is he gonna play with?

Cant see him getting first line time, so best hope is he plays with Monahan, who isn’t gonna be around long so seems stupid to pair these two, or he gets to play with Evans ?? The black hole of offense?   This is a terrible idea and makes me lose a lot of faith in current management.  The season is supposed to be a loser, give the kid time to adapt and grow so he can have sustained success.

Look at Calgary and the Zary kid, 4 years in AHL, finally gets to come up and is third fasted flame to 30 points next to Gaudrea and Iginla, same pattern many successful teams follow.

Roy likely doesn’t need 4 seasons in minors but should definitely be finishing out this one and see where he is next year.

This move shows lack of forethought, inability to stick to a plan and desperation from Habs management. Not good qualities in leadership.

Losing lots of confidence in management.

I think this post is shit and you should do better.

On to the main point.  Yes, its good for players to marinate in the minors but every player is different and the amount of time in the minors is different for each.  You bring up Zary, but Look at Brendan Gallagher who was also a fifth rounder and had less time in the minors than Roy.  

You have also made quite the assumption that this is a full time thing and not short term.  That seems a flawed idea to say the least.  No one has said he will be a full time Hab til the end of the season.  Getting the kids some game time so they can see NHL speed and know what it is they have to work on is done by nearly every organization and can be helpful 

But keep it real man, you realist know so much more than everyone else and anyone who disagrees is biased and an idiot.

Right, my assumption is this is a short term thing because we are devastated with injuries up front. 

I am a huge advocate of letting kids marinade in the minors, but I think that's consistent with giving them some NHL games as injury call-ups, etc. Surely that exposure can let them know what the Show is like, and also perhaps send an encouraging message. 

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Right, my assumption is this is a short term thing because we are devastated with injuries up front. 

I am a huge advocate of letting kids marinade in the minors, but I think that's consistent with giving them some NHL games as injury call-ups, etc. Surely that exposure can let them know what the Show is like, and also perhaps send an encouraging message. 

I agree ... but IMO they need to be told when called up that it is temporary so that when they are sent down, they don't take it as a failure.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Cant see a short call up ever being a bad idea, assume Pearson will be back soon.

And i dont think anyone is thinking he is the seasons' saviour or what not.

If a player is good enough like Suzuki, no minor-league time at all was spent and no one brings that up as a bad thing. 

Every prospect is different and i think vast majority of failures to develop has to do with players simply not good enough (or lack the hockey IQ to process plays at pro-speed).

Per roster on the Habs website, Roy will wear #89
image.png

He was a pretty good shot at being the "best ever" to wear that number for the Habs
image.png

• Upvote 1

• tomh009 changed the title to Joshua Roy called up

I would think like Struble... its up to him if he wants to get sent back down now. Of course if he is given a fair opportunity. What I mean is getting called up and getting 5/7 minutes on 4th then sent back down isnt a fair shake. Much like Struble, who was called up and is almost impossible to take out of the lineup, hopefully Roy is given some decent TOI in the top 9 and runs with it.

*To say we are doing a bad job at developing and making the same mistakes is another ridiculous talking point.

Fyi

Galchenyuk is who he is!  

KK is who he is.

In fact, some would argue they were given even more of an opportunity to develop and afford time in the NHL to develop.

The NHL is a results league.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I would think like Struble... its up to him if he wants to get sent back down now. Of course if he is given a fair opportunity. What I mean is getting called up and getting 5/7 minutes on 4th then sent back down isnt a fair shake.

He is 'well' compensated with NHL salary for minimal icetime also. Imagine his NHL salary is 10X what AHL one is.

And for a Quebec kid to put on Habs jersey and skate around in warm up ...by himself.. is something to experience and get behind him

and lots of friends and family in the stands will be nice for him.