Should Gainey Scratch Koivu And Kovalev?

KoZed

Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gainey scratch Koivu?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Should Gainey scratch Kovalev?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

They have both been struggling for sure.

Will it be done I doubt it.

Koivu is the problem he is not competing and he took a laze penalty tonight to boot. He is getting optimal ice even strength and PP. I would rather Koivu and Kovy play tonight against the Sens but if they continue to struggle maybe bench them.

Or possibly Gainey could release some trade rumour about both of them and tell the media they are both being scratched the dress them.

If that is done Kovy will score 4 goals and Koivu will pot 4 assists. Ahh I love dreaming.

Humiliating your heart and soul guy (Koivu) would be idiotic, unless he is acting like a SERIOUS asshole in practice or something. Koivu has always given everything he's got - personally I still think he's injured; but if he's healthy and struggling, that's probably because he is either carrying the weight of this horrible slump on his shoulders and trying too hard, or, more likely, because he's finally become completely demoralised by the sustained crappiness and lack of effort in the team around him. Benching him would only make matters worse, in either case.

Kovalev - there's nothing to be gained in humiliating him, either. He's never been the type of guy to pull a team up by its bootstraps. He'll come around when the team comes around.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

No need to bench these guys. They'll work there way of the their slumps. They're not lazy like Ribeiro, they actually work hard, and things just arn't going there way. Give them some time and they'll bust out and carry this team for a few weeks.

I changed my vote at the last second os here is what I wanted to vote but didn't.

Koivu: Maybe

Kovalev: Yes

Bench Kovalev for 1 game. Then re-insert Kovalev into the line-up. If both of them don't find their game then bench Koivu for a game. Maybe it's the LW that's the problem.

Although I voted no, I did notice during the game last night that Koivu looked depressed in his interview. I think it was during the first period intermission.

He gave his pat answers to the interview questions but looked kind of lifeless.

I think this is a goaltending confidence issue. The other team scores quickly game after game it starts to wear on you. We need Theo or Huet to stand on their head for a game.

Hello!

Scratch Zednik first, that's the guy who deserves it!

I agree, Zednick could sit out a few without having a significant impact on the team. Isn't the definition of stupidity doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. I'm a little tired of his crawling along the boards act.

Saku Koivu is the captain.

He's the one that should lead by example. If he can not do that then change captain. It's that easy. If that isn't enough then scratch him. And as a last solution trade him.

But I feel that none of the above would solve anything. Demote him to the second line maybe but stupid to scratch him.

Kovalev is the kind of player you just do not scratch. He may seem invisible from time to time and then boom. He steals a game and plays at his best. Kovalev is on of the few Habs that can turn a game on his own. Jan Bulis might be the other...

I would scratch either Zednik(my 1st choice) or Ribs ,although it seems he's playing a bit better. They had better scratch someone and insert BIGMAN. He must be given the chance to redeem himself with Chara first and then throw down with McGratton for fun!

koivu isnt the problem... its his wingsmen!

While Zed sucks lately and Kovalev is missing in action, Koivu has been no better. He has had Ryder on his line for a few games and didn't look any better.

Another thing is that excuse is never accepted for Ribs, who a month or so ago was struggling with Dags/Higgins/Ryder who were not finishing too many plays.

Koivu has looked terrible lately. No speed, no finesse, no shot. He looks disinterested, perhaps depressed. I don't know what is wrong with him, but as the Captain, he needs to crank it up and pull his line out of the slump.

Lately he has only shown up briefly in the end of games. His goal off the toe was about as much offense as he has put out lately, which is not enough. This is a guy who should be able to go down the ice on his own and get a scoring chance.

Perhaps he shouldn't be scratched, but demoted to the fourth line for a game might send a message.

koivu could be a trade bait if gainey decides to clean up the mess

you just don't scratch a guy that you want to trade because you'd send a message to the whole league that you don't trust him.

I thnk a good way to shake them up is ti give them fourth line duty...no pp no pk for a couple of games. under 10 mins of ice time... give it to players like begin bulis higgins, plekanec who deserve it.

I usually love how Koivu plays, and I don't feel it would be right to throw him under the bus for his current lackluster play. That being said, I don't feel he is the right guy to be captain (that honour should go to Craig Rivet), but of course, stripping away his captaincy isn't the option (it would make our team look even more dysfunctional), so we're kinda stuck. The guy was meant to be a second-line centre, wearing an "A", so I'm sure we could find suitors if Gainey is thinking trade...

Kovalev on the other hand, is a disgrace to the CH. He plays with absolutely no heart, and has done more harm than good during his tenure. Disgraceful during last year's regular season, disgraceful for the first few games during the playoffs, disgraceful to wait until the middle of the season to have surgery on his knee, (especially since he admitted knowing surgery would likely be necessary), and disgraceful right now. Gainey signing this guy for 4.5 for 4 ranks up there with Theo's mega-deal as the worst signing in club history. Of course, I could still be proven wrong, but I'd be willing to put money on this guy being a huge bust.

Can Gainey be scratched? Is that an option? I was thrown under the bus a few months ago when I said I had lost faith in BG, but I'm glad I said what I said when I said it.

-Dave