Is Bob Gainey Safe?

I have been starting to wonder how long will Pierre Boivin let things continue like this in Montreal. Canadien fans and media expect an awful lot and the pressure on Boivin is surely mounting.

I have no idea where George N. Gillett Jr. stands on this stuff. I know the media was talking about how much business he has brought to the Bell Center. I don't know if he is a money hungry guy or a serious hockey guy.

How long will BG be in Habs land if things continue?

No, there's no way Bob Gainey's position is at risk. He is one of the most respected man in hockey. Never would Gillett fire him (not now anyways). But since the day he hired Carbonneau as next year coach and put him behind the bench anyways.. you could know there was something wrong. Does it tells the players that the season is already thing of the past? Maybe. Dunno how it can be interpreted.

It's the players here, they have had 4 coaches, 2 GM's and nothing has changed. The players simply don't play hard, the D stinks, they can't score, the don't hit. The hi priced players don't perform. It's time to get new players. The only reason this team played in the playoffs the past 2 years is theodore was the best player on the ice every night.

It is always up to the leader. If the players stink or are lazy it is the leaders problem to fix.

I believe BG is safe for now. If the Habs are aimless and loosing like this next year, I expect to see him gone. I assume Bob has a plan for this club but who knows.

BG-well respected for certian, throughout the league.

Was BG's success in Dallas a fluke (like Theodore) or is he the real deal?

It is always up to the leader. If the players stink or are lazy it is the leaders problem to fix.

I believe BG is safe for now. If the Habs are aimless and loosing like this next year, I expect to see him gone. I assume Bob has a plan for this club but who knows.

BG-well respected for certian, throughout the league.

Was BG's success in Dallas a fluke (like Theodore) or is he the real deal?

Sorry Mr PM but the leader of the team, the man that should be the inspiration is Koivu. It his his role as captain.

Under 10 shots on goal wont win us games. I blame Theo. :wacko:

No, we need a shake up, and nobody should be considered safe except the kids.

Gainey is safer than safe. You'd have to be a fool to believe he's going anywhere in the next decade.

Negativity breeds negativity (this board for example with all of the bashing towards our boys), the team just needs a few breaks and things will be back on track. It all starts with a period.

And beating Philly and then losing to Ottawa isn't a bad feat. I mean Ottawa is hands-down the best team in the league... we are 2-4-0 against them this season... not many teams can say that... brighter days ahead kids, brighter days ahead. Believe!

He's had one good season and is halfway through an inconsistent one. The players, veteran and rookie, are there, he just has to get them going. As bad as things currently seem the season is not yet lost. The main reason for the team's struggles is Theodore. He's been inconsistent in his past, but no one could have predicted such a complete breakdown of his game. Because of this I don't think anybody is currently looking Gainey's way and they probably shouldn't be looking his way. I know most posters on this forum are angry with Theodore, but I still think he can turn it around and once again carry this team as he has in the past. In the meantime watch for several key moves by Gainey to improve the team's fortunes while they wait for Theo to get it going.

To sum up, Gainey is as safe as a church on Sunday.

To say Gaineys position is at risk, is to say that the ottawa senators are going to trade Heatly Spezza and Alfie for Wade Belak and future considerations. It just wont happen. Give him time, hes done alot for this team in a little amount of time. Hes just breaking in, and plans on being here till he dies...I think he should pick up Steve Gainey on pheonix lol

The main reason this team is in a funk is that they stink as a whole. It's not all theo's fault, i beleive all the goalies used this year have losing records. That that should tell you something about the rest of the team.

Theo does have a winning record

I have been starting to wonder how long will Pierre Boivin let things continue like this in Montreal... How long will BG be in Habs land if things continue?

think about it - really now..... this isn't even an issue

The Habs are in a long term plan that Gainey outlined early in his tenure. He isn't going to suddenly snap and change it because things aren't going right in the blahs of a dreadful January run. He was hired to build a contender and it's heading in that direction. Why would management blow that plan up because they aren't winning a cup earlier than they expected to, or because fans are so bloody impatient. That knee jerk reaction to fan and media pressure prior to Gainey is exactly why the Habs are at this point/dilemma.

The new salary cap has altered the landscape - trading is not a viable solution like it was prior to this. Salary and contract structure now dictate what can be done. Few teams are in a position to take on the contracts of what you might like to dump? The only alternative is to build from scratch, or with what you already have in your system(if your lucky to have that.) And with that reality in front of all NHL teams, who really is there out there that is even equal to or any better than than Bob Gainey.

No, this isn't even a consideration worth discussing!!!!!

Changing horses in midstream would be even more disastrous than some seem to currently think it may be.

The grass is always greenest after the storm has passed.....

Yep, I think Gainey should be canned. Daigle for Theodore and Koivu would also be a good plan. Then, trade Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn and Perezhogin to Toronto for Antropov. Maybe we should fire Carbonneau and bring in Pierre Page. Another great idea would be to leave the ceremonial rugs out on the ice during the game. We could even rip down the Bell centre and play in the street.

LMAO

I am not suggesting that BG should be fired. I do believe he has a plan and that plan does not include changes this year.

I am really asking at what point does BG get fired?

If we loose the rest of the season?

If we loose 65 games next season?

Is there no way BG will ever be fired?

Is Bob infalable?

Is he a cautious operator or slow old man?

Does he have another facial expression besides :angry: ?

I'm just throwing these questions out there. Theo's reputation got him a big contract and it is not feeling so great right now. Is BG's reputation going to do the same?

I'm getting fed up with the hysteria on this forum. Trade Koivu, trade Theodore, trade Komisarek, trade the Bell Centre, trade Sherbrooke Street...

Now it's 'is Bob Gainey safe??'

Folks...the ONLY WAY the Montreal Canadiens will ever return to the upper echelons of the NHL is by creating a STABLE ORGANIZATION at the level of ownership and management, filled with people with established track records of excellence. We have these people with André Savard and Gainey. Presumably they've hired good people around them. And Gillett seems to be a serious owner.

It doesn't take one or two years to raise the Titanic, which is what the Habs became under Houle and the erratic Molson's ownership. Nor does a rotating door of captains and coaches help, although sure, you do sometimes have to remove someone to make room for someone better (e.g., Savard for Gainey, Julien for Carbo).

'GETTING RID' of players, coaches, managers, and owners is not the answer. The answer is to patiently build and improve on what we have. This will take years.

Stop, stop, stop looking for the 'magic bullet,' the quick fix. That way lies another decade of mediocrity.

He's had one good season and is halfway through an inconsistent one. The players, veteran and rookie, are there, he just has to get them going. As bad as things currently seem the season is not yet lost. The main reason for the team's struggles is Theodore. He's been inconsistent in his past, but no one could have predicted such a complete breakdown of his game. Because of this I don't think anybody is currently looking Gainey's way and they probably shouldn't be looking his way. I know most posters on this forum are angry with Theodore, but I still think he can turn it around and once again carry this team as he has in the past. In the meantime watch for several key moves by Gainey to improve the team's fortunes while they wait for Theo to get it going.

To sum up, Gainey is as safe as a church on Sunday.

Well written couldn't have said it better myself. GAINEY IS INDEED IN MY OPINION SAFE!

LMAO

I am not suggesting that BG should be fired. I do believe he has a plan and that plan does not include changes this year.

I am really asking at what point does BG get fired?

If we loose the rest of the season?

If we loose 65 games next season?

Is there no way BG will ever be fired?

Is Bob infalable?

Is he a cautious operator or slow old man?

Does he have another facial expression besides :angry: ?

I'm just throwing these questions out there. Theo's reputation got him a big contract and it is not feeling so great right now. Is BG's reputation going to do the same?

You can't blame Gainey for theodores contract

Because theo would have gotten alot more than that had he been allowed to walk on the open market.

Gainey said when he came that he had a 3 year plan

the rookies should be great next year.

now if we could only get some size and a punishing defenseman

i suppose thats on every teams wish list though

But remember to get talent you gotta give up talent. It all depends on what he is willing to give up

and how much other teams think that they are worth. keenan will not trade luongo for theodore

and another one i heard is Bulis for Arnason. not gonna happen

lets not be like leaf fans and come up with these ridiculous trades that we think gainey should make

where we think our players are worth 10x more than any other team thinks

He's a smart guy and will only make a trade if he really feels it will better the team.

not just to shut the media and fans up

Go Habs Go

.....lets not be like leaf fans and come up with these ridiculous trades that we think gainey should make

He's a smart guy and will only make a trade if he really feels it will better the team.

Go Habs Go

I'd say..... "BINGO" brboo

You can't blame Gainey for theodores contract

Because theo would have gotten alot more than that had he been allowed to walk on the open market.

Gainey said when he came that he had a 3 year plan

the rookies should be great next year.

now if we could only get some size and a punishing defenseman

i suppose thats on every teams wish list though

But remember to get talent you gotta give up talent. It all depends on what he is willing to give up

and how much other teams think that they are worth. keenan will not trade luongo for theodore

and another one i heard is Bulis for Arnason. not gonna happen

lets not be like leaf fans and come up with these ridiculous trades that we think gainey should make

Go Habs Go

Now there is a post I can agree with.

I think Gainey will make a trade if the right deal is available but don't think it will be.

I believe Gainey's plan is to hit the free agency market hard this summer. We have some players without contracts at the end of this season: (UFA and RFA)

Sundstrom

Ribeiro

Bulis

Koivu

Dagenais

Streit

Komisarek

Bouillon

Huet

I expect some of those players to be resigned but some definitely wont.

We will see new blood here next season.

Damn but there is a whole pile of 20/20 going on here... Why did BG take on the Theo contract? The numbers Theo had proved that the contract was justified at the time. If he didn't and he played well with another team, then the problem would have been the reverse.

The team is not playing well as a unit (duh! :huh: ) and BG will have the right to change it within his current mandate and not before.

In BG we trust!

Don't mind me, I'm just frustrated about the Sens game.

The Theo contract is a concern. However, I remember when they signed him I was very happy. He is being over paid. But, with the way things go in the NHL, I don't think it's quite the albatross around our neck as some people might think.

Thornton is making 6.6 million. At the beginning of the season, did anyone see that trade coming?

Theodore is moveable and if Gainey plays his cards right he could pull off a trade that will shock us all.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows?

I do see Gainey making another marquee player move for defence and a RW right handiness player. Not that we necessarily want any of these guys but some possibly available players include Selanne, Nolan or Recchi.

Both needs have been identified in the media.

So, let me understand this. Gainey has to get Brendan Witt, Selanne and Aebischer. Or a similar deal.

Well, I don't care how good a GM is. That's a bummer situation. If Gainey deals for any of the three at this point in the season, Montreal is probably going to get burned.

Gainey might pull the trigger at any time. But, I suspect he is going to try to turn it around by employing an iron fist. I give it 4 games at the most.

I'll wrap it up with this: ALWAYS REMEMBER - NO ONE WANTS TO HELP MONTREAL. That's a difficult situation for Gainey.

On the plus side: WE DON'T NEED THEIR HELP. :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I was looking for the list of UFAs after this year (couldn't find it). I remember watching TSN and they went through about 20 of them. We are talking BIG name players here who will be UFA in the summer.

It kills me to see my team die like this but I seriously believe BG knows what he is doing. No one, including BG, expected Theo, Kovalev, Zednik, Bonk and even Koivu to suck so badly this year.

If Gainey doesn't wade (not just splash) into the UFA market this summer, then I will shit myself. Untill then I will remain pissed off and agitated about our current season but expectant about next.

PM Koivu is right - you can't blame Gainey for not anticipating that proven performers like Bonk, Theodore, Zednik, Dandenauly, Koivu and Kovalev would suddenly start sucking ass this season. It's ridiculous.

I have been starting to wonder how long will Pierre Boivin let things continue like this in Montreal. Canadien fans and media expect an awful lot and the pressure on Boivin is surely mounting.

I have no idea where George N. Gillett Jr. stands on this stuff. I know the media was talking about how much business he has brought to the Bell Center. I don't know if he is a money hungry guy or a serious hockey guy.

How long will BG be in Habs land if things continue?

things are not looking good for gainey, he continue to make bad moves, like bonk, garon,perreault,brisebois, and firing a good coach. its time to make a good move if we are going to make the playoffs, the time is now...not next season..the ottawa game is time i well never get back.