Gainey's Potential Targets

gohabsgo252006

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather the Habs keep Danis he is younger and Zed is starting to play his brand of hockey again.

Last game against TB he carreid the puck over the blue line on his hip with both hand's on the sitck and took a wrict shot we all have seen so many times. Right now if the Habs dont make any trades I will be happy this team has looked great since the Olympic break.

It's probably just to give the guys a chance to briefly go "home" in the middle of a long away trip; Toronto/Montreal is a very short flight when you're not using WestJet (I have nothing against them, it just takes longer to get on the plane than the ride itself).

Otherwise, I can't see what would be so important that the whole team would need to come back to the Bell Center; I'm not even sure Gainey alone would come back just to annonce a trade.

Code's habs's talk posted today:

-Gainey is interested in both Bertuzzi and Tkachuk, but he's not willing to part with Souray to get Bertuzzi. They Habs also have been talking to the Hawks a lot recently

and sources tell me it's about Calder and Arnason. You can add in Cullimore as well if you'd like. I'm still trying to get something back from the Hawks in terms of whom

they are asking for from the Habs. I also know the Habs have interest in Mitchell and Mara, and we know they've talked to the Coyotes about Mara. TJ, if I get anything

I'll send you a page, but you know how it works with Gainey. And remember the name Hrdina if they cant land a second line centre.

we will find out soon.

It's probably just to give the guys a chance to briefly go "home" in the middle of a long away trip; Toronto/Montreal is a very short flight when you're not using WestJet (I have nothing against them, it just takes longer to get on the plane than the ride itself).

Otherwise, I can't see what would be so important that the whole team would need to come back to the Bell Center; I'm not even sure Gainey alone would come back just to annonce a trade.

It's hardly in the middle of the road trip. This trip is 6 games long and the Leafs game will be the 5th. Boston's game will be the last.

Still, it's possible that he's giving them the opportunity to spend a day with their families/friends. Could also be the time for a press conference about a trade...

we'll see.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

It's hardly in the middle of the road trip. This trip is 6 games long and the Leafs game will be the 5th. Boston's game will be the last.

Actually, you're right. Sorry. I guess I had right now in mind. Still, Toronto/Montreal is a very short trip, so Gainey probably just wanted the guys to home for a day.

As for a trade annoncement, I really doubt it. First, why come back to Montreal just for that, and second, if a trade has been made, it would already be effective. Thus, if there is an annoncement, it will be to comment on how he feels confident with the team in place, and that no change is required.

if im not mistaken, this home stop has been scheduled since the end of the break. I cannot see any significance to this.

I believe you are correct, in fact I remember reading about it in an article about George Gillete, where it was his idea or something and that he talked about it with BG.

It's definitely been planned for a while

Personally, the player I hope the Habs pickup the most is Gelinas.

Gelinas may be getting old, but he is also the most experienced Stanley Cup finals guy out there. :P

I dont think his age is an issue, I think he's been getting better, well except for this season. Florida's style doesnt really suit him, but the Habs or Sabres style would. Gelinas exceled in Calgary, and they have a defense 1st style, combined with speed and skill.

IMO, I think Gelinas is 1 of the most under rated players in the NHL. Unfortunately for Gelinas, he is the type of player whose name often isnt on the score sheet, in games he plays great in, but doing things that there are no stats for. Gelinas excels at doing all the small but highly important fundemental things that are required to win big in the NHL. Things such as keeping the puck behind the oppenents goal line for 30 seconds, while his team is penalty killing, causing turnovers and creating plays, but by the time they scoe he doesnt get an assist. The amount of times Gelinas kept the puck in the oppositions end during Flames power plays in the last playoffs was uncanny. :o

Gelinas style is very simular to Koivu;s. Both are small, fast, & never quit, always give 110%. Gelinas isnt quite as skilled as Koivu, but his $925K salary this year, and $975K next year is an insult to his true worth. I think it would be wicked to have a 2nd Koivu type player on the team. Both could be on the ice for almost the entire game!

Gelinas would be a great pickup.

However, I think that Habs need another finisher in the lineup before Gelinas can be brought in and be useful.

Great first post by the way. Quantity and quality!

I would love Gelinas he is from Quebec and last playoffs he had 3 series winning goals. I would not trade to much for him though because I honestly dont know where he would fit in the Canadiens line-up unless there were injurys I really enjoy Montreal's entire team from top to bottom right now.

Gelinas is so damn vresatile that you could fit him in anywhere!!

If your thinking Gelinas is a top line or 2nd line player, you are mistaken, although he can play on these lines too. Gelinas is typically a 3rd of 4th line guy. If Gainey wants more scoring on these lines, I cant see anybody doing a better job than Gelinas.

Gelinas has played in the Stanley Cup final 4 times, on 4 different teams, in 3 different decades (89 Edm, 94 Van, 02 Car, 04 Cal). This is not a coincidene, it definitely has to do with him, and how he plays. Gelinas was only 1st or 2nd line in just 1 of his Stanley Cup appearences, which was last season with Calgary. Gelinas has scored 5 game series winning goals, though the most important 1 wasnt counted against TB. He scored every goal for Calgary to get them to the next round, and best of all he knocked out the Leafs in 02 with the Cannes. Gelinas also scored a game tieing goal against the Rangers in game 7 of the Stanley Cup round in 94, but NY went on to win the game and the series.

Say what you want about Gelinas, or anyone else, but the fact is Gelinas is the best player that is available for the playoffs. Name another player currently in the league that has 4 Stanley Cup appearences? All with under dog teams noone thought could ever make it there? Also, name a player who has scored as many uber important playoff goals as Gelinas?

Gelinas hasnt scored much this year, but in his defense, he has yet to be a double or tripple overtime position where he needed to score. :D

I would love Gelinas he is from Quebec and last playoffs he had 3 series winning goals.

he scored the 4th one but it was wrongfuly refused and tampa ended up winning the 6th and 7th game..to my delight I have to confess