Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

I saw we now use Corvina's idea of a 1A/1B and package skaters for a guy like Bertuzzi. Then we become contenders for THIS season.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't exactly a good move by Gainey. Remember that he signed Theo to this contract just this summer. Now he's freeing the cap space by shipping out the exorbitant contract he signed him to?

Unless another deal is being done, one that requires the money Theo was taking up, this is a horse-shit deal.

From Canadian Press ...

DENVER (CP) _ The Montreal Canadiens traded goalie Jose Theodore to the Colorado Avalanche for netminder David Aebischer on Wednesday.

``Our entire hockey staff is very excited about the addition of Jose Theodore,'' Avalanche president and GM Pierre Lacroix said in a statement. ``With this acquisition, we are convinced that we are securing our goaltending position for many years.''

The deal marks the second time a high-profile goalie has left Montreal for Denver. Patrick Roy also was sent to the Avs by the Habs.

Theodore, 29, is making $4.5 million US this season but has had a rough go of it of late. His goals-against average is 3.46 and his save percentage is .881.

Theodore fractured a bone in his right heel on Feb. 18 while walking down the icy steps of his Montreal home. He is expected back in late March.

Cristobal Huet has been playing goal for the Habs in his absence.

Theodore won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player in 2001-02, leading the Canadiens to their first playoff berth in three seasons. He is only sixth goaltender in NHL history to win the Hart.

Aebischer, 28, is due to make $1.9 million this season. He has a GAA of 2.98 and save percentage of .900.

I saw we now use Corvina's idea of a 1A/1B and package skaters for a guy like Bertuzzi. Then we become contenders for THIS season.

Could work but would require imo, Zednik, Perezhogin and a pick.

Or maybe Ryder and Zednik or Ryder and Perezhogin.......i've got to stop this

Edited by gohabsgo252006

wow...shocking news... :blink::blink: Don't know what to say...I've been very upset with Theo's performance lately but I've always loved him and was hoping to see him get back on track.

Farewell Jose, and thanks for the great moments you've given us. I wish him the best of luck in Colorado. Who will our no 1 be from now on? I'm starting to gain confidence in Huet...what about a 50/50 split...?

Edited by DJ_Laszlo

This isn't exactly a good move by Gainey. Remember that he signed Theo to this contract just this summer. Now he's freeing the cap space by shipping out the exorbitant contract he signed him to?

Unless another deal is being done, one that requires the money Theo was taking up, this is a horse-shit deal.

While this is true you have to remember that just about everyone thought Theo was a top 5 goaltender at the time Bob signed him. He certainly isn't one now. Maybe he will be in the future but maybe not. Gainey apparently made an error 8 months ago. We should give him credit for finding a way out of a difficult situation. He made a mistake but he has corrected it very well. It would have been better to sign Theo to a year contract perhaps but then what would we have gotten for him now?

CODE claims that the Canucks refused a deal sending THEO to Van City for Kesler and a Pick..... (imo probably b/c he's injured)

but what better way to get back at them, then send him to Colorado haha.

Maybe they would like Aebisher???? :)

I loved Jose but his time in montreal was over. He was a wunderkind for a short period of time. 1 good year/ big contract/ bad year/ ok year/ good playoffs/big contract/ very bad year traded simply because he was not worth 4.5 million per year with the inconsistency he has shown. Comparing him to Roy is nonsence. Roy had almost single handed carried the habs to the cup twice he was recognised as the elite goalie in the league. As wrong as that mess was I think this one is right. Best of luck to you Jose she's been one bitch of year for you and I hope it turns around.

Edited by habs rule

Career statistics for David Aebischer

Regular Season

GP MP W L T GA SO Avg.

2000-01, Col 26 1393 12 7 3 52 3 2.24

2001-02, Col 21 1184 13 6 0 37 2 1.88

2002-03, Col 22 1235 7 12 0 50 1 2.43

2003-04, Col 62 3703 32 19 9 129 4 2.09

2004-05 Played In Swiss League (lockout)

2005-06, Col 42 2411 24 14 0 122 3 3.03

Totals 173##9925#88#58#12#390##13##2.36

Playoffs

GP MP W L GA SO Avg.

2000-01, Col 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

2001-02, Col 1 33 0 0 1 0 1.79

2002-03, Col 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

2003-04, Col 11 662 6 5 23 1 2.08

Totals 13 696 6 5 24 1 2.07

Still not sure I like this. I don't think Huet has really proved much other then he is capable of an 8 game hot streak. Remember that Theo has done way more then that over his career, yet now he is considered crap by many on this board. Huet has a long way to go before I think he is a legitimate number 1 goaltender. Abs is a number one, but not a great one.

They better get someone who can score if they are going to make the playoffs and go anywhere because they now have average goaltending, IMHO.

oh, and I agree Theo has not played great, but we know he can be better, we have seen it. don't be surprised if he returns to form next year with a fresh start.

WOW!! ADIOS THEO!!! GOOD RIDDANCE!!! I'm surprised we got so much 4 a sucky goalie who's gonna suck it up till every1 forgets him as da next jim carey. I love this trade as we're now in a solid position to go 4 a big name forward. Good trade Bob! Now to unload sundstrom ;)

Edited by St-Patrick

one thing you gotta love is the way Gainey just shocks the hell out of everybody

still not up on Eklund!

The funny thing is how this was the most predictable trade Gainey could possibly have done and it still caught us all off guard because we wrotie it off as being too obvious. Looks like real trade rumours DO turn up in internet messageboards. :)

Still not sure I like this. I don't think Huet has really proved much other then he is capable of an 8 game hot streak. Remember that Theo has done way more then that over his career, yet now he is considered crap by many on this board. Huet has a long way to go before I think he is a legitimate number 1 goaltender. Abs is a number one, but not a great one.

They better get someone who can score if they are going to make the playoffs and go anywhere because they now have average goaltending, IMHO.

oh, and I agree Theo has not played great, but we know he can be better, we have seen it. don't be surprised if he returns to form next year with a fresh start.

Regardless, this was the same goaltending trying to carry us before the trade.

Great team chemistry, when theo not in the dressing room, i'm not going to speculate, but we have 1 more amigo to go....and i wouldn't be surprised to see another major deal go down

While this is true you have to remember that just about everyone thought Theo was a top 5 goaltender at the time Bob signed him. He certainly isn't one now. Maybe he will be in the future but maybe not. Gainey apparently made an error 8 months ago. We should give him credit for finding a way out of a difficult situation. He made a mistake but he has corrected it very well. It would have been better to sign Theo to a year contract perhaps but then what would we have gotten for him now?

For me, he hasn't corrected it yet. Not until I see that cap space being used well.

Yes like Imagine selanne in the first and Bert in the second first line! Holly.......S&%$%$@

this cap space can get us up at least 8 mill next season ... this gives Gainey way more advantage and time if nothing is obtainable this season... Regardless We can consider ourselves prime top buyers at this stage no block players are out of our reach now! So even if we dont get anything were indrectly forcing other teams to invest more than they should to adquire a player... thus even inactive the habs are affecting the likes of Ottawa etc... Gainey is a master at tactics!

Edited by CoRvInA

For me, he hasn't corrected it yet. Not until I see that cap space being used well.

Do you seriously think they won't use the cap space? Or that Gainey would waste it. Obviously this trade was a struggling goalie with a big upside for cap space and an average goalie. Clearly Bob has big plans for the extra money we freed.

Even if we wait till the offseason, the likes of Chara and Redden will be UFA, along with OLI and Teemu among others

I really prefer to wait until the summer to sign someone. That way we have our choice of a number of players and we can pick one who wants to come to Montreal. Otherwise we have to give up something (probably quite a bit) in addition to the money (cap space).

Edited by Peter Puck

I really prefer to wait until the summer to sign someone. That way we have our choice of a number of players and we can pick one who wants to come to Montreal. Otherwise we have to give up something (probably quite a bit) in addition to the money (cap space).

I must say I agree. We're going to be scary next year. Ottawa who?