Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing we don't know, but here is the ESPN take:

"Scott Burnside's instant analysis: This is the kind of deal that makes or breaks a GM. If Colorado GM Pierre Lacroix has guessed right and Theodore, a former Hart and Vezina trophy winner, regains his form, the Avalanche are a legitimate Stanley Cup threat. But this year's Theodore has been a long way from the one who was the toast of Montreal a few short years ago. Along with various off-ice issues, there is the troubling heel injury he sustained while slipping on icy steps during the Olympic break that will sideline him for at least another two weeks. If Theodore and/or the Avalanche falter, Lacroix will rue the day he dealt two-time Swiss Olympian Aebischer, who had shaken off early-season woes to earn the trust and respect of his teammates. The Habs now have a formidable 1-2 punch with a distinctively international flavor in Aebischer and French-born Cristobal Huet, who was showing signs of wearing down under a heavy workload."

44 - RW

Todd Bertuzzi

Date of birth: February 2, 1975

Place of Birth: Sudbury, Ont., Canada

HT: 6-3 WT: 245

Shoots/Catches: L

Salary: $5,269,080

Gainey had to move Theodore if he wants to get Bertuzzi. Just had no cap room before, but now he does. :D

That's exactly it. The last two nights, he saw a tired Huet so he wanted some reaassurance. Now, do you include Abby in a deal for Bert or don't.

Players Nonis will want, Zednik, Ryder, Souray, Abby (if they don't get Joseph), Higgins, Plekanek, Rivet

Of those players who would Gainey package to get Big Bert?

My bet one of Zednik and Ryder and one of souray and bouillon and a draft pick for bert.

I'm betting Nonis wants to refreshen his team and unload the Bert distraction, so he's willing to trade him for

Zednik, Bouillon, habs 1st, habs 2nd, for Bertuzzi and canucks 1st rounder

Well if its going to happen I'd have to say that I wanna see Jokenin coming this way over Bertuzzi. I think Montreal has more of a need for a center than they do a winger.

But its going to cost them one of Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn or Higgins. My bet would be on one of the Russians, plus a high draft pick. With all this crazy action things are sure to heat up tommorrow, so the price for a player will be driven up further.

I just hope the cost of these trades is justified in the end.

I'd personnaly much prefer Jokinen than Bert. Younger, more versatile and complete. At 5M$, Bert is still overpaid.

But still...Burt? C'mon....when was the last time the habs could walk into an arena with a guy like that behind them.

Koivu would rock.............Burt woul kill.

Begin? grow six inches

Kovalev is the only one that might suffer......he would either get really flashy or completely melt.......hopefully flashy....

I'm pondering the thought! ..... Price and Abisher for Luongo! :blink::wacko:

And we stay pat until summer!

I don't think Bob is ready to give up on Price just yet :P

Very interesting:

Dagenais - waived to minors

Theo - Traded to Colorado

Ribeiro - ?

Now is there a theory to separate Ribs from distraction and force him out of the clique, or is there a theory to toss the whole bunch out?

From a Colorado point of view, this would make much better sense if it were an off-season trade, and even then it would depend on Aebischer's playoffs. To get a woefully under-performing goalie struggling to find his game who'll get, at best, 5 or 6 regular season games before the playoffs is a huge risk. I'd be willing to say that if Theo can't improve for next season, Lacroix could lose his job.

From Montreal's perspective, Gainey probably got one of the better goalies that are available this time around. Cujo is doubtful as a trade acquisition, and Keenan is going to try his best to get Luongo re-signed long term in the off-season. Noronen? Toskala? What else is there?

I am still grinning ear to ear.

No offense to the Theo lovers but Na na na na hey hey hey goodbye.

Many options open to Bob now. Either now or in the summer, that big center and solid Dman are coming to Habsland.

I guess I need a new avatar B)

as good as the Briser move.

4 additional Milion $ to spend.

Make your lists gentlemen

From Montreal's perspective, Gainey probably got one of the better goalies that are available this time around. Cujo is doubtful as a trade acquisition, and Keenan is going to try his best to get Luongo re-signed long term in the off-season. Noronen? Toskala? What else is there?

True but it seems goalies, with exceptions such as Brodeur, are only as good as their last 20 games. Théo was the smiling trophy boy, then suddenly Kiprusoff was The One, then it's Luongo everyone is talking about, and so on. In Denver, Théo will get better than he was this season, but remember the NHL defensive player award went to Huet last week, who really knows about next week?

Anyway, I don't think many goalies should be paid $5+mil because then if they slip, they fall far. I hope we can just platoon Huet and Aebischer now, and put the goalie question to rest, bank on Komi and Rivet's improved play, and pick up a power forward with the money saved trading Théo. We should be able to make a nice run in the playoffs this year.

so Aebi is pretty safe in MTL

from Eklund:

"By the way, do not expect Aebischer to remain in Montreal for long...Vancouver and Tampa are inquiring..speaking of which, Tampa is rumored to be shopping Martin St. Louis for a goalie...not too happy about losing Roloson..."

Well, I'm finally here. I see everyone was looking for me, lol.

Umm...I'm pissed off to be honest. When he got injured, my first thought was "Good, the rumours can stop". You guys are getting a good goalie in Aebi. He has been awesome for 2 months now. He has inconsistency issues and mediocre rebound control but when he's on (and he ususally is) he can dominate any team out. I'm interested to see if Gainey goes with Huet or Aebischer.

Like RobRock said, I'd be fine if this were an off-season trade. This has boom or bust from an Avs perspective all over it. Either Theo continues to suck and everyone bitches and moans about it or he regains his Hart form and we all celebrate.

Well, it's a good thing I'm a fan of Budaj and Kolesnik. Budaj proved he can lead a team during the Olympics and I think thats what Pierre saw.

Treat Aebi well guys, I'm gonna miss him.

Oh yeah....do we get a lifetime supply of Propecia with it? I'd hate to pay for that on our own.

Any thoughts of Derek Morris are out, as he has resigned with Phoenix

Look for Markov to get a similar contract this summer, which would eat 2m more of our cap money.

Umm...I'm pissed off to be honest. When he got injured, my first thought was "Good, the rumours can stop". You guys are getting a good goalie in Aebi. He has been awesome for 2 months now. He has inconsistency issues and mediocre rebound control but when he's on (and he ususally is) he can dominate any team out. I'm interested to see if Gainey goes with Huet or Aebischer.

Nice to see your perspective on it...

I'm interested to see Rollie's influence on Abby's rebound control. He's a great goaltender coach. Can't underestimate what he can do.

Wow, Dave from Vamcouver, outstanding perspective! I couldn't agree more...we've shed huge salary...I agree that it is questionable that he can regain his confidence at all...In any event, we've got room to add an impact player and have lost a headcase who (1) can't contribute due to injury and (2) has been a constant distraction since his breakout year...the game has passed him by...

My bet is that the habs land Jokenin before the deadline...Koivu and he are tight, his contract is up and his play has improved markedly...the only question is what we give up to get him....

Im listening to 990 and more people are thinking the way i do about BYE BYE to number one goalies and hello to 1/2 and 1/2 goalie duties

I'm shocked that the Avs would make this deal...but I'm absolutely thrilled that they did. Maybe they thought they owed us a favor given the Patrick Roy deal???

Like RobRock said, I'd be fine if this were an off-season trade. This has boom or bust from an Avs perspective all over it. Either Theo continues to suck and everyone bitches and moans about it or he regains his Hart form and we all celebrate.

Well, it's a good thing I'm a fan of Budaj and Kolesnik. Budaj proved he can lead a team during the Olympics and I think thats what Pierre saw.

Treat Aebi well guys, I'm gonna miss him.

Oh yeah....do we get a lifetime supply of Propecia with it? I'd hate to pay for that on our own.

As a regular here, you know the ins and outs of Theodore. You put it right, this is a boom or bust for the Avs. I hope Theo heals in time for the playoffs.

I expect him to do well for a while there, untill the west figures out that a puck over the glove or blocker is a sure goal.

Most of the Avs fans on their site seem pretty pissed!

Yeah, Aebi has been playing out of his mind lately.

They would've welcomed it with open arms in December, they contradict themselves too much there. I hate the Avs forums, thats why I like it here. You guys know your hockey.

I guess I shouldn't say I'm pissed. I'm just....iffy. You've gotta admit though, Gainey and Lacroix have balls. I'm gonna see the Avs on the 31st at the Dome, maybe Theo makes an early return and I get to watch him. :P

I just don't see how anyone in their right mind cannot view this as a huge plus for Gainey. Just because the circumstances are similar, Jose is no St. Patrick....The habs free up huge cap space and have either quality trade bait or a very, very solid goaltending tandem....

Theo's Achilles heel was just that...it made him totally expendable..

One thing for sure, Bob is smelling late round playoff run...otherwise he gives Theo additional time to get his head on right...

I see a big, big bonus player en route to Montreal!

Sweet!