Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

Just found out about this trade. Shocked.

Well, thanks for the memories José. Good luck.

Bienvenue David, bonne chance!

In Bob I trust!

Go, Habs, go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who is currently bashing this trade HAS to consider the cap implications. When someone like Theo is eating up close to 5.5 million of your cap, then theoretically speaking, he should be 10x better than Huet, who makes close to 500k. Yes, this is an oversimplification, but I'm making a point: this isn't like the Roy trade, because with Theo off the books, we can acquire a player deserving of a top-flight contract (ie. Richards, Luongo).

What I like about this trade is that it signifies to me that Gainey has a plan, not just for the rest of this year, but beyond.

Comparison to Roy? Please...Theo has not won 2 cups and I don't believe he has it in him.

Theo was a huge block in the way of developing solid team chemistry. Based on hands-on, face-to-face experience, Theo was not the most well-liked guy on the Habs, and the team clearly put their support behind Huet. Theo got caught up in his own hype, the team will be better without him. Take Rivet as an example, notice how much more he interacts with Huet during a game. Sames goes for Koivu.

I'm loving Gainey's vision. Theo is a small goalie who couldn't adjust to the new equipment...what reason did we have to believe that he would adjust at some point in the future? Especially at his salary. Which was only increasing!

So to sum up, if you want to bash this trade, which is obviously a fair point of view, all I ask is to include thoughts about the big picture, long-term future, and cap implications.

Cheers,

Dave

I haven't finished reading this thread, but THANK YOU for saying that. Finally a post worth reading ;)

Anywho.. after reading everything I like the trade and I'm excited to see how its going to turn out. :)

GO HABS GO! :hlogo:

I only read about 8 pages of this thread so excuse me if this has been said before but rumor has it that Abby has already been offered to 2 teams since being traded and Gainey will continue to try and deal Abby before the deadline.

Supposedly he has been offered to Tampa with Zednik for Richards, and the second was a package of Zed,Ribs, Abby, and a pick for Luongo and Jokinen.

I don't buy the Florida offer, but the TBay deal sounds good from all aspects.

There is more to this Abby deal then we think. I don't believe he will ever put on a Habs jersey in a game.

Edited by Habitforming

I only read about 8 pages of this thread so excuse me if this has been said before but rumor has it that Abby has already been offered to 2 teams since being traded and Gainey will continue to try and deal Abby before the deadline.

Supposedly he has been offered to Tampa with Zednik for Richards, and the second was a package of Zed,Ribs, Abby, and a pick for Luongo and Jokinen.

I don't buy the Florida offer, but the TBay deal sounds good from all aspects.

There is more to this Abby deal then we think. I don't beleive he will ever put on a Habs jersey.

The deal with TB makes sense. They haven't been able to replace Khabibulin and they've already gave big contracts to Lecavalier and St-Louis, so with Richards' contract coming up, they'd be in a tough spot. Though Aebischer + Zednik doesnt look to be a lot given for the last Conn-Smythe winner.

Was it here I read about an Aebi turnaround to Vancouver? Or the Avs forums.

I forget where but no doubt that would piss me off. Avs board is speculating we'll turn around and deal Theo to someone too. But who is stupid enough to take him?

Another reason I don't like the Avs board. The only good one out there was letsgoavalanche.com and that shut down about a couple months into the lockout. Damn lockout.

The deal with TB makes sense. They haven't been able to replace Khabibulin and they've already gave big contracts to Lecavalier and St-Louis, so with Richards' contract coming up, they'd be in a tough spot. Though Aebischer + Zednik doesnt look to be a lot given for the last Conn-Smythe winner.

I agree completely that is doesn't seem to be much to offer but the pool for available goalies at the deadline just went down bigtime.

Gainey might be a genius with this move by trading an injured struggling overpriced untradable goalie for a cheaper healthy proven starter that he can trade right now if necessary.

I agree completely that is doesn't seem to be much to offer but the pool for available goalies at the deadline just went down bigtime.

Gainey might be a genius with this move by trading an injured struggling overpriced untradable goalie for a cheaper healthy proven starter that he can trade right now if necessary.

There's still Biron up for grabs, no?

There's still Biron up for grabs, no?

Biron has been "taken off the table" according to Darcy Regier as of a few days ago. The only goalie Buff will trade is Noronen at this point. I think Buff will stick to their guns on this too, they have appearantly turned down Richards for Biron already. Does a better deal come along then that?

I dont know if anyone mentionned it yet, but D-Aeb was Roy's understudy for 3 years in Colorado. So this is still linked to the 1995 trade.

I'm very curious to see how this will pan out. Either we made up for the Roy trade or repeated it.

I dont know if anyone mentionned it yet, but D-Aeb was Roy's understudy for 3 years in Colorado. So this is still linked to the 1995 trade.

I'm very curious to see how this will pan out. Either we made up for the Roy trade or repeated it.

As I noted no comparison. Even if this doesnt workout, the circumstances are completely different. The Roy trade was a disaster. For the Avs this might be a disaster, but not for us if only because of the cap.

As I noted no comparison. Even if this doesnt workout, the circumstances are completely different. The Roy trade was a disaster. For the Avs this might be a disaster, but not for us if only because of the cap.

Yeah, we know... but there's still a link up to Roy, since he mentored Aebischer.

Come on, enjoy the story.:P

Just saw Theo is slated for a late March return.

I'm going March 31st.

Possibly get to see Theo's first game as an Av live? Maybe. I saw Bourque's first game as an Av live.

This feels weird to actually care about Theodore's injury now. Idiot can't even walk on ice.

I'm gonna go sleep on it now, maybe this is just a REALLY weird dream. Or maybe I'll wake up to a seriously awesome trade. *fingers crossed*

Theodore has been the CH's greatest disapointment this year and the main reason as to

why this team will now have to struggle until the very end to secure itself a play-off spot.

The whole season as been devoted to making room for him to regain some shape......what

a waste that was......but its over now...what a relief.

I never thought Theodore could have been tradable at this stage but since the performances

of our team cannot afford faltering at anytime until the end........his departure just couldn't

have tacked place at a more appropriate time.

The more money this guy was getting the worst he was getting.....and so was his team.....how can it be any more ridiculeus than that can it get.

Unloading him IS the gain for our team in the present......while getting Abby (which has played his

best hockey ever in the last two months) to back-up Huet and getting additionnal cap space

(which will serve eventually to better the team elsewhere) is all about good business.

I am more interested about my team with him gone......good job Bob.

Well after reading this thread for over an hour (wow 240+ posts I LOVE HW) Aebi has been red hot as of last, and also had a great Olympics. I do not believe that Theo will do much of anything for the Avs this season but next year he may regain his form. That said I do not believe he would ever do so in Montreal, with Huet's recent success and the sheer size of Theo's contract the media and public would put too much immediate pressure on Theo to play spectacular in his very first few games back. I sure hope for the Avs and GM Pierre Lacroix that the fans give him time to regain his confidence.

This trade is not similar to the Roy trade at all, I do not need to list the reasons as they have been mentioned countless times in this thread.

Will Gainey make another move? Don't ask me I was one of the people who believed with the teams recent success that no trades would be made.

One question though that was vaguely answered once!

I thought it was against NHL rules to trade injured players could someone please send me a link with info that obviously will crush my former belief of this.

Theodore traded.

Im among the ones who demands something more. Maybe I will accept this deal if Gainey adds someone more with the cap spaces that just got free.

Wow! To say the least, I'm in shock.

Now I can't help but feel that Theodore's hair-gate had something to do with this trade. If he turns out to be the next Steve Penney, then my thoughts will be justified. The comparisons to the Patrick Roy trade are inevitable, but I'm trusting that Gainey knows what he's doing. There's also a chance that Gainey will try to sign Luongo in the off season.

yesssssssssssssssss great trade, I see Luongo here next year with all that cap space. Viva Roberto

This is my take on the whole thing. It opens up a REAL possibility of this trade taking place. Keenan will need a goaltender and, maybe, he'll seriously consider a trade now. Say, Aebischer and Zednik (and some draft choices) for Luongo.

Maybe.

:hlogo: :hlogo: :king: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Habs dont need to spend 5M$ on another goalie. That's what Luongo will cost... minimum!

Please think of something else.

Exactly. Guys, we got Aebischer because Gainey doesn't trust Danis in net. He wants to good goalies not one leading the way. Gainey will sign a big firstliner like Jokinen or Richards in the offseason. Then we're nearly set for the Cup.

Big Bert. Why is he on the way out?

I don't get it.

Seriously?

He i think is in a similar situation to THEO that he needs a fresh start in a new place.

Also...I just say an interview with Bob Gainey and I think the way he answered the questions was extremely classy and respectful, just like the habs organization. Saying that it's tough for a francophone player in Montreal etc.... Nothing about cap space nothing about Theo sucking. Well Done Bob.

In Bob I trust.. Anxious to see what Bob does today