Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

Well I'm glad I'm off work today, but I don't think my wife will be too happy about it being trade deadline today. I don't see me getting too much work done around the house.

If Gainey doesn't make a trade I'm going to be pissed, having spent my entire day infront of a computer

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Great discussion, boys and a lot of different points of view. My initial reaction was that we could have gotten more, quickly followed by " How in hell did Bob manage to unload an injured Theo with that contract?!"

There is absolutely no comparison here between the Theo and Roy deals. Bob made a good move to maximize his flexibility after seeing Theo over a whole season. Houle jumped at the first offer he was given and included our captain in a deal for three mediocre players. Abs is a proven goalie; Thib was still raw. Roy won two cups and Theo has none. Roy was playing reasonably well(despite the Detroit debacle) while Theo has stunk out the joint and is injured. Almost everyone knew that the Roy trade sucked for MTL as soon as it was announced. Opinion is divided on this one. It could be a very good deal for the Avs if Jose returns to form, but what are they going to do with that salary cap anchor if he doesn't?

I see this as a huge gamble for Lacroix, not BG. :hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo:

great comment and finally some commonn sense. :hlogo: :)

Edited by habs rule

great comment and finally some commonn sense. :hlogo: :)

Thanks, at last some one recognizes my genius :P:P BTW, I love your signature.

5 million dollar goalies are overpaid and I dont care who it is we can spend 5 million on 2 goalies to get the job done. the prob with 1 guy doing all the work is that like all humans he is going to have good days and bad days. I f you tie yourself to 1 guy @ 5mill then he cannot have any bad days. Theo had bad weeks months and years colorado can have him and his hair tonic THIS IS A GREAT TRADE

The fact that there are even rumours about Bob moving Abs is proof that the short-term gain all for Gainey. He could package Abs right now and get a good player. Do you think Pierre Lacroix would get many starting goalies for Theo right now? That may change, but I hope not. I have nothing against Theo and wish him well, but it would be nice to get some pay back for the Roy trade.

Edited by PMAC

Lets forget about expensive goally for a while and lets built a team up front.

Luongo is a restricted free agent and it would cost half our team to get him IF the

Panthers traded for him. Who would want a colorless dephtless roster in front

of an expensive great goally....not me.

With Huet and Abby we can built a team up front and get alot more fun watching the team

this way than the alternative.....and as it is building-up towards being a force.......... Price will show-up for the final touch and plays at a discounted price for many years after.

As for Bertuzzi he is also a restricted agent and I failed to see the logic in Vancouver wanting to waste their

chances of getting the Cup this year.....wich they wont if they let him go. They have all summer to trade for him if they feel that it is better for them to do so for the long term success of their franchise.

There's always the possibility that Gainey really wanted to have two goalies who can start and push each other. 1a and 1b. It worked for Minnesota for a long time. And I'm sure Gainey, Carbo and Jarvis are familiar with the guys managing the Wild. They all grew up in the same system and have the same hockey philosophy.

There's always the possibility that Gainey really wanted to have two goalies who can start and push each other. 1a and 1b. It worked for Minnesota for a long time. And I'm sure Gainey, Carbo and Jarvis are familiar with the guys managing the Wild. They all grew up in the same system and have the same hockey philosophy.

Yeah thats great and all its just too bad that no team with a 1 and 1A goalie philosophy has ever one the stanley cup. Stanley Cup winners have a true #1 goalie neither of which Aebischer or Huet has proven to be...yet. Theodore guided Montreal to two successfull playoff 1st round wins. Could have been a the conference finals had it not been for that ######ing idiot Therrien

Yeah thats great and all its just too bad that no team with a 1 and 1A goalie philosophy has ever one the stanley cup.

1968-1969. Habs won the Cup. Gump Worsley and Roggie Vachon were splitting the workload.

1971-1972. Boston won the Cup. Cheevers and Johnston shared the games.

Its happened! Its was eons ago, but it did happen! ^_^

We didn't have a number 1 goally anyway, except for what we had to pay him.

A number 1 goally that shows up every 2 season is the worst thing that can happen to a team.

A dysfonctionnal goally earning 5 million and sharing the same save purcentage than the worst

goally of the league is hardly what I would call a No. 1 goally.

Well no team has won the cup with the two-goalie system but Minny made it to the Western Conference finals, and goalie platoons have only become commonly utilized in the last 5 or 6 seasons.

LOL....just read this on Eklunds site...posted today....

David Aebischer

Montreal 30% Tampa 60% Vancouver 10%

Crazy insider he is.....trade happened last night, and he still hasn't reported it....and is saying that Aebi is going to Tampa....what a loser....

Good Times!

The 2 goalie system CAN work, look at the scheduling this year. Lots of back-to-back games, and 4 in 5 nights etc..... They compressed the schedule to accomodate the players for the olympics.

True, most games now are withing the division/conference but there's still travel/hotels/game-day skates etc....

LOL....just read this on Eklunds site...posted today....

David Aebischer

Montreal 30% Tampa 60% Vancouver 10%

Crazy insider he is.....trade happened last night, and he still hasn't reported it....and is saying that Aebi is going to Tampa....what a loser....

Good Times!

Makh2o..As much as I loathe Eklund and his "hot" rumors, he is right in this case. He is just speculating that Montreal will be flipping Aebischer to Tampa or Vancouver..Which does make some sense of course..

It must be a good move if even PB has some praise for Gainey! :P

Seriously, I like Gainey being the GM in Montreal.....I just wished he had been more

Rutherfodlike (Carolina) during the two for one off-season's free agents availability.

I sometime feel that he doesn't take enought initiatives and prefer to let his players

write their own history and....downfall......and then gently dispose of them.

Makh2o..As much as I loathe Eklund and his "hot" rumors, he is right in this case. He is just speculating that Montreal will be flipping Aebischer to Tampa or Vancouver..Which does make some sense of course..

ooooo.......good call....lol...I guess I just got excited cause I didn't see any mention of him seeing the Theo trade.....Dang it!

Eklund is on with PJ Stock on the Team 990 as we speak....he just mentioned that Huet could be another one of those good young french canadian goalies..... :)

Interesting perspective from Jay Onrait's blog on tsn.ca

Ron Rosen writes in wondering how Bob Gainey pulled off the "salary steal" of Theodore for Aebisher. It really was a fantastic deal by Gainey. I think a lot of Habs fans were beginning to wonder if the guy had lost his touch, now he appears to be just hitting his stride. I wonder if he'll pull off another huge deal today.

Seriously, I like Gainey being the GM in Montreal.....I just wished he had been more

Rutherfodlike (Carolina) during the two for one off-season's free agents availability.

I sometime feel that he doesn't take enought initiatives and prefer to let his players

write their own history and....downfall......and then gently dispose of them.

I agree with you PB, I wish Bob Gainey would take more initiative in the off-season to land a big-time player. But who knows, since Theodore's huge contract is gone maybe this summer could be interesting.

ooooo.......good call....lol...I guess I just got excited cause I didn't see any mention of him seeing the Theo trade.....Dang it!

Eklund is on with PJ Stock on the Team 990 as we speak....he just mentioned that Huet could be another one of those good young french canadian goalies..... :)

That is just great. :P

It certainly will increased the amount allready bugetted for those opportunitys......and

as you said,.... more likely to be used this summer as opposed of today

for a rental......althought one could lead to the other as we know, ( Kovalev).

I was always an Asham fan boy oh boy does he bring it every night. He would be a good depth guy in the playoffs and can come up with timely scoring.

Edited by JMMR