Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quote from the TSN article: "Montreal is special because it's the Mecca of hockey," he said. "I don't think it's different because the goal is the same - to win the Stanley Cup."

I like this guy already! :D

This is also encouraging: He will also be reunited with Swiss national squad teammate Mark Streit, who plays for Montreal. Aebischer and Streit played junior hockey together in Fribourg, Switzerland.

"He's a good buddy," said Aebischer.

Theodore, Theodore, Theodore. Olay Jose :) , Olay Olay Olay Olay :) , Olay Olay, Olay Olay Olay :) Jose. :hlogo:

Won't be singin' that anymore. :(

I will say this. This trade? Roy 2? Nah. Roy is/was a quantum leap over Theodore. PERIOD!

I'm also happy with this trade. My big problem with Theo is he's small and this new equipment is not helping matters. When Theo stole series' wins for us. What was it? 2 series wins? Anyway, when ever he did anything in the playoffs, it was always on the edge.

2002 against Boston. Theodore let in alot of breakaways and was at times half flat and at times unearthly in that series. Anyone remember Rolston?

We did win and it was Theodore. Hail Jose 60alie.

That was then.

Then Eric Cole made him look mortal.

No cup.

2003 - like this year basically, flat. The mob? No playoffs?

2004 - Beat the Ruins again. Theodore, SOLID!

Then, Tampa Bay...I recall Theodore's 2002 Vezina competitor Khabibulin won the cup. Where was Theodore? Maybe if Montreal had Khabibulin we could have...

2005 - :angry: SUCKED FOR NORTH AMERICANS! Junior was cool.

This year? Thank you Huet.

So, there you have it. A goalie who is hot 1 year and flat the next. That's his pattern. In the long run, we'll see.

I can't escape the truth that I've always cringed over his size. Being lightning fast and number one in that department is great but you can't be in 2 places at once. What do the scouts tell the players when he goes butterfly? We all know the answer.

If he goes down, he can't be in 2 places at once. Suddenly, the lightning reflexes can't compensate for the impossible.

He has alot to prove. I wish him all the best. I had high hopes for him :( . But under these conditions with the CBA and factoring in Jose and the whole mess. I can't blame Gainey. To get Aebischer back is not insignificant.

This cannot be compared to Tremblay, Corey and Roy & the subsequent trade. They betrayed Roy and it was disgusting (IMO).

The situation is different.

Remember that it's UFA time this summer. I'm not sure what the goalie market is but to go with Aebischer now is SOLID! Maybe we can acquire a goalie in the offseason.

I guess the Habs will pay their goalies in francs. Swiss francs & French francs. Same currency.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Oh just to add something for all u luongo coming to mtl wishers.

That is never going to happen because of someone i know is friends with his father and his father says he would never let his son ( robert luongo ) play in mtl ( meaning allow him ) because he thinks the media is going to ruin him, so stop dreaming.

Just wanted to point it out and iam happy about the trade; i still think we could have gotten a little more for what theo has done.

And dont say he sucked we got rid of him cuz of the cap and wtv colorado wanted him im sure they would have offerd another player in the deal if gainey asked iam sure.

This is going to be fun seeing how many ppl are gonna hate me now...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/

the pic of the toque is on the front page.

Edited by koivu-11

That is never going to happen because of someone i know is friends with his father and his father says he would never let his son ( robert luongo ) play in mtl ( meaning allow him ) because he thinks the media is going to ruin him, so stop dreaming.

If Luongo lets his father control his life, then I doubt he will ever be a successful playoff goalie. You have to be you own man. You can't let other people run your life.

If Luongo lets his father control his life, then I doubt he will ever be a successful playoff goalie. You have to be you own man. You can't let other people run your life.

Yeah, no doubt. Sounds like Lindros all over again, providing that this is true of course.

Just wanted to point it out and iam happy about the trade; i still think we could have gotten a little more for what theo has done.

And dont say he sucked we got rid of him cuz of the cap and wtv colorado wanted him im sure they would have offerd another player in the deal if gainey asked iam sure.

This is going to be fun seeing how many ppl are gonna hate me now...

Huert, Aebischer, Danis, Halak, Heino-Lindberg, Price... As much as Luongo rules, the Habs dont really need another goalie as much as they need solid D-men or big forwards. So weither or not he wants to play in Montreal is a moot point IMO. I'd rather see the Habs spend their extra $$$ on things they need rather than on goalie upgrades.

Huert, Aebischer, Danis, Halak, Heino-Lindberg, Price... As much as Luongo rules, the Habs dont really need another goalie as much as they need solid D-men or big forwards. So weither or not he wants to play in Montreal is a moot point IMO. I'd rather see the Habs spend their extra $$$ on things they need rather than on goalie upgrades.

My thoughts exactly, well said.

just a little technie note:

People have been figuring out the new cap space provided by the theo trade by doing

$4,500,000 - $1,900,000 = $2,600,000

this is not the right calc.

The correct cap space calc is to do it by AAV (average annual value), therefore

$5,170,000 - $1,900,000 = $3,270,000

Love the sig Simonus. Perhaps Aebi's "title," will function much like "St. Patrick" and lead us to the promised land. The ultimate irony. :D

:ghg:

get on the bandwagon Dark_Faerie, its a fun ride!

WOW! Great discussion, boys and a lot of different points of view. My initial reaction was that we could have gotten more, quickly followed by " How in hell did Bob manage to unload an injured Theo with that contract?!"

There is absolutely no comparison here between the Theo and Roy deals. Bob made a good move to maximize his flexibility after seeing Theo over a whole season. Houle jumped at the first offer he was given and included our captain in a deal for three mediocre players. Abs is a proven goalie; Thib was still raw. Roy won two cups and Theo has none. Roy was playing reasonably well(despite the Detroit debacle) while Theo has stunk out the joint and is injured. Almost everyone knew that the Roy trade sucked for MTL as soon as it was announced. Opinion is divided on this one. It could be a very good deal for the Avs if Jose returns to form, but what are they going to do with that salary cap anchor if he doesn't?

I see this as a huge gamble for Lacroix, not BG. :hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo:

Remember that it's UFA time this summer. I'm not sure what the goalie market is but to go with Aebischer now is SOLID! Maybe we can acquire a goalie in the offseason.

I want to see the list of UFA goalies for this summer!

There's always alternatives.

Don't blame Bob.

WOW! Great discussion, boys and a lot of different points of view. My initial reaction was that we could have gotten more, quickly followed by " How in hell did Bob manage to unload an injured Theo with that contract?!"

There is absolutely no comparison here between the Theo and Roy deals. Bob made a good move to maximize his flexibility after seeing Theo over a whole season. Houle jumped at the first offer he was given and included our captain in a deal for three mediocre players. Abs is a proven goalie; Thib was still raw. Roy won two cups and Theo has none. Roy was playing reasonably well(despite the Detroit debacle) while Theo has stunk out the joint and is injured. Almost everyone knew that the Roy trade sucked for MTL as soon as it was announced. Opinion is divided on this one. It could be a very good deal for the Avs if Jose returns to form, but what are they going to do with that salary cap anchor if he doesn't?

I see this as a huge gamble for Lacroix, not BG. :hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo:

And dont forget, both trades weren't for the same reasons. Houle traded Roy because Roy wanted out. Houle had virtually no leverage. Gainey traded Theodore because he could win without him and free up salary that can be used on other players.

You're right, Kozed. Another good point is that, unfortunately for Lacroix, the Avs have to go an awfully long way in the playoffs to meet the Bruins :P

Here's an interesting article from Eric Dutashcheck of the Globe and Mail http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../BNStory/Sports

... Presumably, Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix thinks he can catch lightning in a bottle twice — and that in a different environment, Theodore can get his game, and career, back on track. The 29-year-old Theodore won the 2002 Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player, but he has not been able to duplicate that performance ever since.

With Theodore on the sidelines, the Canadiens turned the job over to Cristobal Huet and he's done an admirable job of keeping Montreal in the thick of the playoff race.

Considering Theodore is signed next year for $5.333 million, the Avalanche may have serious salary-cap issues going forward, unless they choose not to re-sign one of Rob Blake or Joe Sakic, who of whom are unrestricted free agents next season. (emphasis mine)

<Imagine if the Avs have to give up Sackic because of Theo's salary?? Wouldn't that be sweet revenge! pmac>

The rumours swirling around Theodore mostly had him linked to a possible deal for Roberto Luongo earlier in the season. His injury, his struggles and his high salary made it appear as if he was virtually untradeable — or it did until Lacroix stepped up and rolled the dice again. Hey, it worked for him once. Maybe he can get lucky again.

Edited by PMAC

And dont forget, both trades weren't for the same reasons. Houle traded Roy because Roy wanted out. Houle had virtually no leverage. Gainey traded Theodore because he could win without him and free up salary that can be used on other players.

Theo had to waive his NTC. There was obviously some desire to leave there. I think all the mess and stress was too much.

You're right, Kozed. Another good point is that, unfortunately for Lacroix, the Avs have to go an awfully long way in the playoffs to meet the Bruins :P

Here's an interesting article from Eric Dutashcheck of the Globe and Mail http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../BNStory/Sports

... Presumably, Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix thinks he can catch lightning in a bottle twice — and that in a different environment, Theodore can get his game, and career, back on track. The 29-year-old Theodore won the 2002 Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player, but he has not been able to duplicate that performance ever since.

With Theodore on the sidelines, the Canadiens turned the job over to Cristobal Huet and he's done an admirable job of keeping Montreal in the thick of the playoff race.

Considering Theodore is signed next year for $5.333 million, the Avalanche may have serious salary-cap issues going forward, unless they choose not to re-sign one of Rob Blake or Joe Sakic, who of whom are unrestricted free agents next season. (emphasis mine)

Imagine if the Avs have to give up Sackic because of Theo's salary?? Wouldn't that be sweet revenge!

Even better if we signed him. :P

Theo had to waive his NTC. There was obviously some desire to leave there. I think all the mess and stress was too much.

Theo had a no trade clause?!?

Imagine if the Avs have to give up Sackic because of Theo's salary?? Wouldn't that be sweet revenge!

Sakic to the Habs - that would be better

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Damn, just realized that.

Sakic is a lifetime Av though so don't count on it. I doubt we can bring Blake back though. We already have to worry about Laaksonen, Tanguay and Sakic. Theres more too, I just can't remember. I think Konowalchuk is a FA too.