Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooo.......good call....lol...I guess I just got excited cause I didn't see any mention of him seeing the Theo trade.....Dang it!

Don't feel bad - I had the same thought when I saw it. "Boy, is Eklund out of the loop!" ^_^

This is the same post that I put in the Simpson thread and I included it here for obvious reasons.

I still think that Gainey will more or less stand pat during this March Madness. He may do one or more minor deal like the Simpson one but nothing spectacular or 'noteworthy' like the Théodore trade.

I do believe that he's going to hold on to that money for a blockbusterish trade during the Free Agency market time. My hope is that he'll use Aebischer and some other resources to get Luongo.

On 'thefourthperiod.com', it was metnioned that, in all appearances, Jokinen will be staying with the Panthers which leaves the door open for a Luongo departure, in my upinion (and in my hope).

:king: :hlogo: :king: :hlogo: :king:

This is the same post that I put in the Simpson thread and I included it here for obvious reasons.

On 'thefourthperiod.com', it was metnioned that, in all appearances, Jokinen will be staying with the Panthers which leaves the door open for a Luongo departure, in my upinion (and in my hope).

:king: :hlogo: :king: :hlogo: :king:

I think just the opposite. Luongo will sign with Florida as he sees Jokinen signing there as a sign of the Florida franchises commitment to winning.

Luongo isn't going anywhere. Keenan wouldn't get rid of Luongo. He's a number goalie, and wouldn't trade him for Aebischer and others...thats makes no sense

I just believe that with Luong, Bouwmeester, Jokenin and Horton you have an awesome foundation to build your club around. Probably one of the best foundations in the league..top 3. You've got the #1 goalie, #1 defensman and huge center and a potentially great powerforward. And to top it off, you have lots of cap room. This will be a great organization in the next few years

Edited by kaos

Somebody had asked about a new Canadiens nick name for Aebischer... I was thinking about something like Habischer? Maybe? i dunno. Let me know what you think.

Ok, we saved cap, got a goalie who can play right now, but we just lost our best player, hands down, everyplayer has a bad year, this was theodores. big deal he is stil in my mind top 3 in the league!!

Colorado just set themselves up. ok you guys say we saved money, but now we have to go out and get ourselves a number on goalie, this team is only as good as its goaltending right? well huet and abby aint going to do it for like 4 years before price hopefully can step in, that mean we will have to spend some dough on a very good goaltender....i dont like the move, there had to of been a better goaltender to get straight up for him.....i would have rather got garon back, maybe even a younger goalie prospect.

Ok, we saved cap, got a goalie who can play right now, but we just lost our best player, hands down, everyplayer has a bad year, this was theodores. big deal he is stil in my mind top 3 in the league!!

Colorado just set themselves up. ok you guys say we saved money, but now we have to go out and get ourselves a number on goalie, this team is only as good as its goaltending right? well huet and abby aint going to do it for like 4 years before price hopefully can step in, that mean we will have to spend some dough on a very good goaltender....i dont like the move, there had to of been a better goaltender to get straight up for him.....i would have rather got garon back, maybe even a younger goalie prospect.

Just watch .....we'll be fine with the goalies we have.....

Just watch .....we'll be fine with the goalies we have.....

no question we'll be fine with the goalies we have and Theo is FAR from the best player on this team. Players have bad years, this is a disaster of a year. Honestly with his inconsistency I'd rather not take the chance having so much money tied up in him. I'd rather get a top notch Dman (*cough Chara cough*) or a top forward.

no question we'll be fine with the goalies we have and Theo is FAR from the best player on this team. Players have bad years, this is a disaster of a year. Honestly with his inconsistency I'd rather not take the chance having so much money tied up in him. I'd rather get a top notch Dman (*cough Chara cough*) or a top forward.

What is Chara sick?

kidding...ummm I doubt very much Ottawa will let either Redden or Chara go, and I'm willing to bet Chara and Redden would be willing to take a bit less to stay in Ottawa.

If not those guys will go for $6.5 million or so on the open market and I do not want the Habs spending that much on a single player

What is Chara sick?

kidding...ummm I doubt very much Ottawa will let either Redden or Chara go, and I'm willing to bet Chara and Redden would be willing to take a bit less to stay in Ottawa.

If not those guys will go for $6.5 million or so on the open market and I do not want the Habs spending that much on a single player

You kidding their wives will want the extra 2 million or more! no way both are staying!

EDITED FOR CONTENT

:king:

What is Chara sick?

6.5 is probably a conservative estimate. With the cap going up, Chara will probably get more like 7.5M

I agree it's a lot of money, but if you want a #1 Dman it's either going to cost in a trade or cost $ to sign him.

I trust BOb

6.5 is probably a conservative estimate. With the cap going up, Chara will probably get more like 7.5M

I agree it's a lot of money, but if you want a #1 Dman it's either going to cost in a trade or cost $ to sign him.

I trust BOb

Yeah thats way too much to give to one player.

But it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah gotta focus on the future now. Start tonight with a big win in Boston, then come home for a good stretch. This will be a make or break time for the Habs. Any idea if they play Tampa again?

MONTREAL (CP) _ Jose Theodore bowed out gracefully from the Montreal Canadiens.

And he vowed to regain his NHL all-star form with his new team, the Colorado Avalanche.

``I was confident that I would bounce back this year for this (Montreal) team and I'm confident I can bounce back with Colorado,'' a relaxed Theodore said Thursday. ``Hockey has a lot to do with confidence and my confidence is actually pretty good going into Colorado.''

A frustrating season of subpar play, off-ice distractions and injury took a surprising turn on Wednesday when the Canadiens traded the popular Theodore to the Avalanche for Swiss goaltender David Aebischer.

At first, the move that cleared nearly $3 million US from the Canadiens' salary cap margin looked like it would lead to another deal for a prominent skater, but coach and general manager Bob Gainey's only trade at Thursday's deadline was to acquire journeyman defenceman Todd Simpson from Chicago for a sixth-round draft pick.

It has been a miserable season for Theodore, who takes a 17-15-5 record with a weak 3.46 goals-against average and .881 save percentage to Colorado.

The Montreal native started the season slowly and just seemed to get worse. By January, he was being pulled from games as often as he finished them before Gainey finally opted to go with back-up Cristobal Huet as the starter.

But Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix gambled that a change of scenery, particularly with an elite team like Colorado, will bring back Theodore back closer to the form that saw him win the Hart and Vezina trophies with Montreal in 2002.

Lacroix took on a three-year contract that averages $5.3 million US per season while giving up Aebischer, who had been hot in the past two months after a slow start.

Also, Theodore fractured a heel when he slipped on ice at home during the Olympic break and will be out of action at least another three weeks. The Avs will make do with rookie Peter Budaj until Theodore is healthy.

``I'm anxious to go to Colorado and help the team,'' Theodore said. ``I'm really pumped up. It's going to be a great challenge.

``I want to make sure that I show everybody that Colorado made the better move.''

The trade recalled a deal made just over a decade ago, when former Montreal GM Rejean Houle traded Patrick Roy, one of the NHL's all-time great goalies, to the Avalanche in a blockbuster deal. Roy helped the Avs win Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001.

In Quebec City earlier Thursday, Roy said he was confident Theodore would get back on track in Colorado and expressed surprise the Canadiens didn't get more for him.

Now, Theodore will try to emulate Roy's success in Denver.

``It's certainly big footsteps to follow,'' Theodore acknowledged. ``Hopefully, I can do what he did in Colorado.

`That'll be my little personal challenge _ to show he's right.''

Roy, now owner/coach of the junior Quebec Remparts, joked that: ``Maybe Colorado will stop drafting goalies _ they'll just get them from Montreal.''

But while Roy left after a bitter blow-up with former coach Mario Tremblay, there was no finger-pointing or rancour from Theodore.

He said trades are part of hockey and that he considered himself fortunate to spend nearly 10 seasons with his hometown team.

``It's a good thing for my career,'' he said. ``I really had a lot of fun playing in Montreal.

``I had a great time with the fans, my teammates and I was here for nearly 10 years, which is good. But now it's a new start. I'm going to be part of another great organization. It's a nice city and I know a lot of players there, but I have only good things to say about Montreal.''

He looks forward to joining the Avalanche, which features former Canadien Patrice Brisebois as well as a handful of ex-teammates from Canada's 2004 World Cup of Hockey team _ including captain Joe Sakic and defenceman Rob Blake.

The Avs and Canadiens even co-operated by having Theodore hold a news conference to say his public good-byes at the Bell Centre, although without a Canadiens logo in sight.

Theodore was unable to fly directly to Denver because his girlfriend, Stephanie Cloutier, is due to give birth to their first child in the next few days.

That was but one of the off-ice distractions the 29-year-old dealt with this season.

There were still echoes in the media of last year's headline news when his father and some half-brothers were charged and fined in connection with a loan-sharking ring.

In December, Theodore tested positive for a steroid masking agent he said was from Propecia, a product he uses to prevent baldness. He has a medical exemption from the league for the substance and faced no sanctions.

Then, after his nightmares in net and his relegation to back-up duties, he fractured a heel.

Theodore said none of the off-ice woes were ever a distraction.

``I didn't have as many distractions this year as I did a couple years ago when I went to the all-star game and got picked for the World Cup,'' he said. ``To be honest, nothing this year really distracted me.''

Theodore said he wasn't surprised to be traded to Colorado, which reportedly coveted him over the last two years, but didn't think a trade would come this season because he was nursing an injury.

Gainey called him Wednesday evening to say the deal was done and that Lacroix would get in touch with him.

Theodore said he would talk to Lacroix on Friday to work out a timetable for going to Denver and having his heel X-rayed and examined.

He is already off the crutches he walked with a week ago and said the healing process looks to be on schedule.

The most idiotic move the Habs could do is go out and get a true #1 starter. Gainey would be fired if he wasted the cap space on that. Since Gainey's IQ is higher than 7 he'll use the cap space on a skater (most likely a firstline forward) and we'll be a contender. We're so deep in net that we don't need a goalie and most importantly we have a strong tandem now.

And Theodore isn't our best player. He's MUCH closer to being our worst player. Now he's the Avs' worst player.