Habs Trade For Todd Simpson

JMMR

Thanks for the link Kozed. I hadn't heard of the site before, but it seems pretty good. This seems like a cheap insurance move for MTL.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we doing with such a slow defender? Heck, Bouillon is a much better choice than this guy.

Maybe he should help the Bulldogs or will he be shipped out of town in a bigger move?

I don't see him being shipped out - it's just a depth move. Our defense isn't fantastic, but if someone goes down with an injury, we're relying on the Cote's of the world. Bob must have felt someone with more NHL experience (10 years, in Simpson's case) would be preferable, especially at this time of year.

Montreal makes a trade for a depth D. Wow. I'm so very shocked.

Yep, this is a move we all saw coming. A non household name D who can take out the trash.

Pierre McGuire on TSN says that BG has to address the Ribeiro situation (in his opinion) next.

Good Point Royale.

Who do you believe will be sent to the minors Streit or Simpson? I would imagine Streit because I do not believe he has to clear waivers does he?

Thanks for the link Kozed. I hadn't heard of the site before, but it seems pretty good.

I think its the site of those who make the Forecaster magazines that come out at the beginning of the season. Great for poolers. I dont recall when or how I found it, because its not a real site. Its a demo they use to sell their content. I think TSN uses it and I recall seeing it somewhere else too. But the demo is just much better. Not cluttered by all sort of other crap. Its my fave.

Pierre McGuire on TSN says that BG has to address the Ribeiro situation (in his opinion) next.

What situation? Ribs, Zhog and Kovy have been playing great together so far.

McGuire must be hanging out with Flynn a little too much. :P

I would assume he is talking possibly about the divided dressing room, (heard about it onb this forum) or maybe having all our centers being smurfs. Pleks can step between perez and Kovalev if it means bring in a decent sized, scoring LW.

Interesting take on the Simpson trade from Onrait's blog on TSN

11:05 - Darren Pang describes Todd Simpson, acquired by Bob Gainey earlier in the day, as a ''depth guy'' who probably won't play much. But former Habs coach Claude Julien says the team needed to get tougher. The entire discussion seems to surround a possible Sheldon Souray trade. Could the long rumoured Souray-Bertuzzi deal be coming to fruition? If you're a TSN executive, you're certainly hoping so.

I think its the site of those who make the Forecaster magazines that come out at the beginning of the season. Great for poolers. I dont recall when or how I found it, because its not a real site. Its a demo they use to sell their content. I think TSN uses it and I recall seeing it somewhere else too. But the demo is just much better. Not cluttered by all sort of other crap. Its my fave.

What situation? Ribs, Zhog and Kovy have been playing great together so far.

McGuire must be hanging out with Flynn a little too much. :P

I'm not necessarily agreeing. He thinks Ribs needs more mustard and that MTL had better get something for him.

"Smithers, who is that lunchbox Joe?'

..."Simpson eh?'

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I trust Bob Gainey. We're in good hands.

Todd Simpson is not a blockbuster deal, but he brings us toughness, something we could definitely use more of. I've always liked Simpson, he'll always stick up for his teammates and should be very valuable in the playoffs. Good depth move.

BTW, there's no way he's going to Hamilton.

hope it won't happen...souray as been playing really well and just don't dee bertuzzi in montreal

Bob McKenzie on the Todd Simpson trade - There are conspiracy theories that Montreal is stock-piling guys like Simpson and Aebischer in order to trade them all to a team like Vancouver for a player like Todd Bertuzzi. While we can't rule something like that out, if you look at this deal at face value, the Canadiens needed to get bigger, stronger and more physical. This deal could be just as it seems. Simpson is a depth defenceman with a bit of bite who will drop the gloves and help the Montreal Canadiens out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=157799&hubname=nhl

Todd is on TSN right now via a phone call with Duthie. He seems like a funny guy, making lots of jokes, he said he is "pumped to come to play in Montreal"

Duthie also called him s superstar because of the lacklustre amount and quality of trades thus far on deadline day and Simpson was really impressed saying "I have always wanted to be a Superstar"

Edited by JMMR

Good Point Royale.

Who do you believe will be sent to the minors Streit or Simpson? I would imagine Streit because I do not believe he has to clear waivers does he?

Makes sense - I don't think he's seen the ice since the Olympics.

Vanvouver has just acquired their own utility defensive defencement.....that should

put to rest the conspiracy theory and cool of TSN's dramatisation of the event.

( sorry I dont recall the name of the player,...its on TSN thought. )

I'm okay with this pickup.

I'm still waiting on a Sunny trade though.

We wouldn't even get futur consideration in exchange for Sundstrom,...unless

the negotiations where done by Flynn........fabulous things can happen with this guy.

Edited by PB

I still think that Gainey will more or less stand pat during this March Madness. He may do one or more minor deal like the Simpson one but nothing spectacular or 'noteworthy' like the Théodore trade.

I do believe that he's going to hold on to that money for a blockbusterish trade during the Free Agency market time. My hope is that he'll use Aebischer and some other resources to get Luongo.

On 'thefourthperiod.com', it was metnioned that, in all appearances, Jokinen will be staying with the Panthers which leaves the door open for a Luongo departure, in my upinion (and in my hope).

:king: :hlogo: :king: :hlogo: :king:

I still think that Gainey will more or less stand pat during this March Madness. He may do one or more minor deal like the Simpson one but nothing spectacular or 'noteworthy' like the Théodore trade.

I do believe that he's going to hold on to that money for a blockbusterish trade during the Free Agency market time. My hope is that he'll use Aebischer and some other resources to get Luongo.

On 'thefourthperiod.com', it was metnioned that, in all appearances, Jokinen will be staying with the Panthers which leaves the door open for a Luongo departure, in my upinion (and in my hope).

:king: :hlogo: :king: :hlogo: :king:

The only reason they signed Jokinen was because they had to in order to keep Luongo

We wouldn't even get futur consideration in exchange for Sundstrom,...unless

the negotiations where done by Flynn........fabulous things can happen with this guy.

I disagree. He does well on the PK and some teams would be interested in him for that.

We might not get much, but we would get something. I'd rather give Kostitsyn his roster spot.