Bulis' Market Set

GoHabs2002

Pardon me for interrupting today's focus on the most important game this season so far...

..but Axelson signed with the Bruins today and to me that is probably the most comparable player to which the Habs and Bulis can compare his play with.

Both are around the same age, I believe, both had UFA leverage and both can be relied upon to score in the mid-teens and play sound defensive hockey.

It'll be interesting to see how much axelson got.

Im Swedish som Im probably colored... But Pebben Axelsson gives a 100% every night and every shift. A great skater and scores some goals. He's also good defensivlty.

I don't know if all that things can be said about Bulis. I think Bulis has more offensive potential but holds Axelsson higher anyway.

I say no way. Not in a million years is Bulis worth $1.85 Million. Not when you have guys like Plekanec and Higgins that are just as good defensively, better offensively, younger, cheaper and needing ice time.

If Bulis can be brought back at his current salary, maybe...maybe $1.25 Million if he hits 20 goals, but thats it. No way do you give this guy more than $1.4 Million. Not worth it

Bulis is one of those guys that teams typically overpay. He is supposedly loaded with talent, brimming with potential .... but will he ever fulfill the promise of the upper-tier player he is destined to be? Possibly, but most likely - no. Sadly - no. I hope Bulis remains with the Habs next year - but I really hope BG doesn't overpay for his services and the HOPE that he becomes a consistent 20 goal scorer and superior defensive forward.

I say no way. Not in a million years is Bulis worth $1.85 Million. Not when you have guys like Plekanec and Higgins that are just as good defensively, better offensively, younger, cheaper and needing ice time.

If Bulis can be brought back at his current salary, maybe...maybe $1.25 Million if he hits 20 goals, but thats it. No way do you give this guy more than $1.4 Million. Not worth it

I agree that we have players ready and able to step into Bulis' role. I do think their are other players that need to go first, leaving room for Plex, Higgins etc.

Maybe 1.85 is too much for Bulis. I just think he brings alot to the team.

Thats what I was mentionning on another thread last week. I like Bulis, he does a decent job as a defensive forward, and because of his speed and decent overall skill level, he can temporarily fill in for an injured player on the top scoring lines; he won't give you much offense, but unlike a guy like Dagenais, he won't hurt you either.

However, I like Bulis at 1 million a year. Since he's having his best season in terms of goals, and might even score 20, I'm afraid his agent is going to aim for about 2 millions, which is way too much. Also, he might be looking for a multi-year deal, and since we already have our hands tied with Bonk, Zednik, and Dandeneault, that doesn't leave us much room for eventually signing good free agents or bring up good prospects from Hamilton. Not resigning Bulis would allow Montreal to bring up Kostsitsyn and Lapierre in the lineup next season, and maybe even Chipchura later during the season. I doubt it, but Gainey might even think of signing Latendresse if he has a very strong camp.

Higgins and Plekanec can both do what Bulis does, maybe already even better (if not, they will with just a little bit more experience). Bulis doen't bring anything that the team doesn't have, so if possible, I would rather save the money and sign a good, productive, and reliable second line center and/or a scoring winger.

I love Bulis. I believe Gainey will offer him 1.5 million. I believe Bulis will reject and he may sign in NY.

I don't think Bulis actually has a whole lot of leverage here. If he were to reject an offer from the Habs, sobeit.

Easily replaceable he is.

When you consider next year you have to consider full playing time for Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. Thats four

THen you have Ribeiro, Zednik, Koivu, Bonk, Begin, Ryder, Murray, Kovalev, and potentially one rookie from Hamilton eg., Ferland, Milroy, Locke, Lapierre or even Chipchura or Latendresse. Thats potentially 14 forwards already...not including signing either Bulis or Sundstrom.

Then you have to consider the fact that Montreal could sign an UFA forward. So thats 15 forward spots.

So if Bulis wants some crazy dollar amout let him walk and use the $1 million savings to bring in another top 6 forward, or a top 4 defenseman. Or better yet, trade him before July 1 and get something in return. Even if its only a later round draft pick.

Edited by kaos

I don't think Bulis actually has a whole lot of leverage here. If he were to reject an offer from the Habs, sobeit.

As an impending UFA....he has all the leverage....if Gainey really wants him back

As an impending UFA....he has all the leverage....if Gainey really wants him back

Nobody ever has all the leverage. It'll all depend on the interest shown by other teams.

And I don't believe Gainey or Gillette is are ones to be held hostage. Especially when you've got to find playing time for Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn.

We need to get rid of character-less, soft players, and Bulis is the worst of the lot. He will skate miles to avoid a check and only hits when the victim is in a defenseless position. I suspect that Gainey sees what I see as he was scratched last night for a game that promised to be intense.

The guy has a ton of speed, and some offensive skills, but he puts his personal welfare above the team, and you can't win with players like that...

JMHO

- Jack

Bulis has skills that a lot of teams want - strong defensive play, and ability to contribute offensively. Our upcoming young players have these same skills, so I think Bulis is expendable at a certain price. However, I would bet that most teams don't have the number of these kinds of prospects that we have, and a proven NHL-er like Bulis would have significant value. Such value would be less if we have to overpay to sign him, but this can be worked around, particularly in a package deal.

Sign and trade, I say.

1.85M is too much. I probably wouldn't pay him more than 1.5M for 2 years. He's a guy who can definitely become a late bloomer and explode with a 30 goal season. I'd like to see him play on a line with a playmaker like Ribeiro and see if he starts scoring. Most likely though, he will remain just a fast, versatile two-way forward with enough offence to play on a scoring line when needed. He throws some big hits once in a while too.

Koivu had excellent leverage because the CH couldn't possibly think about loosing him.

Jason Ward on the other hand, seen as expendable, was left to go on the basis that he

wanted just a tad more than what the CH had offered him.

Sundstrom had to accept a lower salary when Bob signed him prior to the lock-out-----this

signing took place while better options from the UFAs where avalaible,...versatile (center-winger)

Ian Laperiere being one of them.

Pierre Dagenais was signed at almost minimum wage to play a promiment role

(second line winger) in the NewNHL,.....there is something erratic going-on about Bob's ways....

which makes it difficult to predict his ways when one of or own player is reaching UFA status.

Gainey failed to signed in the right players in the inter-season to compete successfully

in the NewNHL.

If Gainey feels that his team should improve on its scoring depth (all the way to the third line) to make up for the team's lack in that respect (bottom in the east) he will have to snacht a proven offensive player from

this summer UFA market and also bring in an another one......which we hope Kotsitsyn to be ready to play

that part.

Kovalev,Koivu, ??????

Ryder, Ribeiro, Higgins

Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kotsitsyn

Murray,Bonk, Begin

Unlike the last inter-season, Gainey will now have to face a shallow market,.... I believe any

centers worth mentionning will re-signed with their respective team while the wingers situation could

be a tad better,...like Samsonov, etc.

I certainly hope the CH will take that route and if so then they dont need him anymore.

As precaution they might sign him until they can secure themselves with an UFA,.....then they could trade or

give him away in a package that would have to include Bonk.