Kirk Muller As Assistant Coach Next Year?

In today's Journal de Montréal, Muller, who's presently coaching the Golden Seals of Queen's University, admitted that he would be interested in the job and that he actually expects a call from Carbonneau for next year.

They also mention that Carbonneau and him know each other very well.

I would say YES to "Captain Kirk" right away.

In today's Journal de Montréal, Muller, who's presently coaching the Golden Seals of Queen's University, admitted that he would be interested in the job and that he actually expects a call from Carbonneau for next year.

That would be cool. I guess.

Quick question? What happens when a number like 11 is retired in honor of Saku.........does a guy like Muller get honored aswell?

they should do a ceremony like the cournoyer/moore one.

muller as an assistant coach..anytime!!

Quick question? What happens when a number like 11 is retired in honor of Saku.........does a guy like Muller get honored aswell?

Well, that's an easy question to answer, because Saku Koivu's number is never going to be retired. That's just silly. How can anyone even mention him in the same sentence with the guys whose numbers hang from the rafters? Sure, he's a good player and a good leader, but he's not even close to being the type of guy who gets his number retired.

Saku's number will never be retired...he doesn't deserve it. He's never done anything worth retiring is number. There are plenty of other old Habs who won't be retired that deserve it much more then Koivu.

Saku's number will never be retired...he doesn't deserve it. He's never done anything worth retiring is number. There are plenty of other old Habs who won't be retired that deserve it much more then Koivu.

When Saku captains the team to a cup and finishes his career having played it all as a habs, he may have a chance at being retired, but that will be a long way down the road.

I love Kirk Muller he is an amazing guy and has been friends of my family for a long time. My father and him have organized many charity events together.

Check out some great pictures from his and Gilmours Retirement party at the Ambassador Hotel in Kingston. My dad is the one with the glasses Venicio Rebelo.

http://www.ambassadorhotel.com/mullergilmour.html

Also if he became an assistant coach it would probably mean I would get to go to more Habs games. Lucky me. I hope this rumour comes true.

Muller may be the most underrated habs of the past two decades. Unfortunately, because of the massive Toronto-centred bias of the national media, everyone remembers him from his Leafs days, when he was a pure third-line grinder. With us, he was in his prime - a slick passer, great in the slot, lots of offense (40 goals, I believe), devastating body-checks, awesome leader: truly a complete player in every sense, including offensively. Apart from Patrick Roy, no player contributed more to the 1993 Cup run, and he would have been a worthy choice as Conne Smythe recipient. People say that that 1993 team had no talent, but the fact is Kirk Muller in his prime would have been a terrific No. 1 centre on ANY team. At his peak, again, a Gordie Howe for the 1990s.

However, his number shouldn't be retired, and neither should Saku's. This isn't the Buffalo sabres we're talking about. For the Habs to retire your jersey, you need to have been one of the all-time great players of your generation. Great as these guys are, neither qualifies.

Yeah Muller was a beauty of a player. Somebody that everybody could love. When playing for Montreal I don't think he was regarded as underrated, but as with most players who play to wrong, they are definitley remember for their lack of effect in later years

I believe Queen's team are called the Golden Gaels...

I would love to see Cap'n Kirk behind the Habs bench with Carbo next year... Next to Roy, They were the ones I looked up to when i was just a kid. :hlogo:

It would be good to see Muller behind the Canadiens bench. I was so disappointed by the way he was matter-of-factly and unceremoniously dumped by the Canadiens after his critical contributions to the '93 Stanley Cup.

He deserved way more than that! Yes, one's career will inevitably come to an end but there was no loyalty at all shown by the administration at the time. No public expression of gratitude or thanks or whatever to a guy who sweated and bled for the team all the way to the victory.

Crud... the same thing happened to Vincent Damphousse. What a joke!

That's all for this rant... :huh:

Hmmm...actually, I think that Savard's trading of a washed-up Muller for Pierre Turgeon was a brilliant move (even if the supplementary trading of Schneider for Malakhov wasn't quite as stellar). Savard managed to acquire a genuine first-line centre in exchange for a player that had gotten old really fast. I see what you're saying about 'owing' something to a player, but frankly, that's how teams go from being champs to stinking out the joint.

(Of course, Reggie Houle went on to dump Turgeon *and* Conroy for...Shane Corson, so it came to the same thing).

I want to first say that I loved Muller as a player and respect everything he has done for the Habs in the past.....but I don't see any upside to having him behind the bench next year in fact I get flashbacks to Mario Trembley when I think about it. I believe Gainey handing the reins over to Carbo is a risk but to throw another young/relatively inexperienced coach in there...... I think they would be smarter to ask Demers to help him out back there, mind you I don't know if Jauques would do it, but I think that is a much smarter move.

I can hear the negative feedback now on this comment, but to be honest I can't believe I am the first one to raise a concern over the possiblility of this tandem.

Yeah I worry about Carbonneau being inexperienced, but also realize that he was such a smart hockey player, that'll hopefully carry into his coaching and he'll be a good one.

I know, you can hope in one hand and shit in another, and the hope hand won't fill up first.

If he could have handled it without a nervous breakdown, I'd have loved to seen Larry Robinson come back to Montreal.

I think you are wrong. All Koivu needs is to finish his career here. If he wins a cup then it will be for sure. You need to remember the obstacles that Saku has overcome to keep pushing this organization to it's fullest. Not to mention what he has done for the city of Montreal with all his work outside of the Hockey world. I think it would be a shame if in the end he wasn't honored. That's still a long ways away though, a lot can still happen where this wouldn't even be questioned.

1) Muller would be great, but we need a guy for the defensemen.

2) Koivu would need to lead the team to about 3 Stanley Cups before he retired (as a habs) to really be realistically considered.

However, in the eyes of those who have only seen Koivu as captain (younger viewers such as myself) he is well deserving :D.

Lets bring Larry Robinson back to Montreal as an assistant coach. Shouldn't be too stressfull for him. It would bring a solid presence behind the bench, and help the young defencmen out quite a bit.

But I guess that'll never happen.

Anybody ever think Patrick Roy will coach in the NHL specifically with Montreal? He's done really well with his Jr. Team and has been critically acclaimed by hockey columnists. Its only a matter of time (3yrs???) before he makes the jump. Be nice he the organization and him could make up and get back on good terms

I think Larry coming back to coach the defense would be awesome. I believe that as an assistant coach the pressure would not get to him like it did New Jersy. I love Muller but I am not sure what he would add we already have Jarvis Carbo and Gainey the top defensive forwards to ever play the game

Gainey will no longer be coaching next year.

Robinson will not come back to coach, I believe he is done he is a tough guy to lay for and from what I have heard most guys around the league do not enjoy playing for him.