Habs Will Be A Force In The Playoffs

I'm sure Ottawa and Carolina are hoping each other draws the Habs. Although Atlanta with Kovalchuk and Lehtonen is scary as well

TB, NJ, Habs....all three are pretty much fodder to Ottawa and Carolina.

Atlanta seems the most dangerous to those teams, but Atlanta will have to make the playoffs first (and not at the Habs expense.)

TB, NJ, Habs....all three are pretty much fodder to Ottawa and Carolina.

Atlanta seems the most dangerous to those teams, but Atlanta will have to make the playoffs first (and not at the Habs expense.)

Theres Mr. Optimism for you again. Glad your so confident in your team

The Rangers and Sens would be challenges.

The Canes are a 90% probability would-be spanking.

More personally, I remember being in my car in the Spring of '02, my ears witnessing the Podunk Hurricanes eliminate the Habs in the 2nd round. It would be great to get some measure of vengeance, but...

Let's finish 6th in the East to increase the likelyhood of vs. Rangers in the 1st round. Let a Cinderella hopeful - other than les Canadiens - knock out the Canes.

*fingers crossed*

*fingers the Leafs*

'D

Edited by MCeh

Theres Mr. Optimism for you again. Glad your so confident in your team

Carolina spanked the Habs all season, and Ottawa is still the best team in the Eastern conference. I'll take Ottawa over the two, however.

I'm praying for 6th place...Rangers or Philly....bring 'em on.

I'll be praying every day we don't face the Canes.

Watch for 2/3 of the horrifying BBC line return to cause strife among our defense. Throw in Williams, Whitney, Staal, Weight, Recchi and Stillman, and Houston, we have a problem.

Although a Swiss matchup would be awesome. AB vs GB, with Streit filling the gap. The Vatican will be overjoyed.

Rangers, please, I'd prefer a Hossa-Balej-Ward line :D

Habs will be a threat as along as they can maintain their intesity during a game. Looking at tonight's game against the Caps, the effort was there in the first and then tapered off during the rest of the game. Granted I'm basing my opinion on shots taken and penalties (won't say anything about Ribeiro's penalty) 'cos that's really all I get to see in the recaps but it looks like the guys took the foot off the gas.

Tell me if I'm wrong about the game - I can't see clearances, the timing of hits, general work ethic in your won zone.

One thing's for sure: the players look like they're beginning to believe they deserve to be in the playoffs.

If we finish in sixth there is a decent chance that Tampa and/or NJ could bump both ottawa and carolina out. You can never count Brodeur out and even with Tampa's goaltending woes they are not chumps.

If the Habs do have to face ottawa or carolina we certainly have a chance. We do have some wins against ottawa this season and if Huet is on his head like he is now, we can beat the canes too. The Habs have some players that know how to step it up big time in the playoffs, Koivu, Kovalev and Zednik all seem to hit another level of play. Bonk is playing better and better, he is plus 1 I think. Most of his minutes are on the PK and shutting down the opponents top line so plus 1 is really good.

With the tight races in the east and out west, I bet we see some major upsets these playoffs.

Go Habs Go

Well if they do play Carolina, we don't have to worry about Gainey going bonkers (liike Therrien) costing us a two minute minor and blowing a possible 2-0 series lead. MOntreal would be just fine against Carolina.

Habs will be a threat as along as they can maintain their intesity during a game. Looking at tonight's game against the Caps, the effort was there in the first and then tapered off during the rest of the game. Granted I'm basing my opinion on shots taken and penalties (won't say anything about Ribeiro's penalty) 'cos that's really all I get to see in the recaps but it looks like the guys took the foot off the gas.

The Habs' problem in the series will be the same as last season: Mike Ribeiro as the second line center. When the game is intense, as they usually are in the playoffs, Ribeiro always disappears. He was no where to be seen against Boston, and Julien even prefered using Perreault (and it's not he was a favorite of coach Julien) when Ribeiro, again, did not show up for the first game against the Bolts. Moreover, his linemate Kovalev is a guy who only shows up every once in a while, and without Koivu to push him, I'm afraid we wont see the Kovalev that was playing a power game to comeback from a 0-3 series, but rather the soft Kovalev that faked an injury when he makes a bad play, and cost us the 3rd match that made it 0-3 in the first place.

We need to sign either Arnott or Briere over the summer...

The Habs' problem in the series will be the same as last season: Mike Ribeiro as the second line center. When the game is intense, as they usually are in the playoffs, Ribeiro always disappears. He was no where to be seen against Boston, and Julien even prefered using Perreault (and it's not he was a favorite of coach Julien) when Ribeiro, again, did not show up for the first game against the Bolts. Moreover, his linemate Kovalev is a guy who only shows up every once in a while, and without Koivu to push him, I'm afraid we wont see the Kovalev that was playing a power game to comeback from a 0-3 series, but rather the soft Kovalev that faked an injury when he makes a bad play, and cost us the 3rd match that made it 0-3 in the first place.

It was 1-3 actually.

And I wonder if Bulis, Bonk, or Plekanec will be given a shot at that second line role if Ribs struggles.

Oh no, the spooky Canes and Sens. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Who cares. We've already proven that lions and tigers and BEARS are not a problem for the 1st round Tri-Colours.

pooh.jpg

First round nightmares these Habs are. Bring on those Canes or Sens - I don't care.

Why do people always seem to forget rule number 1: THESE ARE THE CANADIENS! :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Oh no, the spooky Canes and Sens. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Who cares. We've already proven that lions and tigers and BEARS are not a problem for the 1st round Tri-Colours.

pooh.jpg

First round nightmares these Habs are. Bring on those Canes or Sens - I don't care.

Why do people always seem to forget rule number 1: THESE ARE THE CANADIENS! :hlogo:

I think Ottawa would fold as a franchise if we beat them in the first round.

OMG that would be hilarious.

A few reasons why I thinks Ribs will do better in these playoffs (not that he's one of my favorites):

1. The refs will (hopefully?) keep calling the game as they have in the regular season.

2. Kovalev's mere presence on his line will hold him to a higher standard.......... Except I can't stand it when Ribs tries to imitate some of Kovy's stickhnadling moves....and looks foolish coughing up the puck.

3. If he has any hope for staying on with this team after this year, he has to redeem himself for that embarassment to the organization in the last playoff series vs Boston (which is why the Bruins are still going after him 2 years later).

4. With his favorite playmate Theo gone, it's time he grows up!!

JMO

Well if they do play Carolina, we don't have to worry about Gainey going bonkers (liike Therrien) costing us a two minute minor and blowing a possible 2-0 series lead. MOntreal would be just fine against Carolina.

Theodore cost us that series, not Therrien (unless you think a minor penalty in one game can be responsible for 4 losses). As good as he had been previously, Theodore imploded in the last 3 games of that series.

- Jack

I've seen Briere's name thrown about a bit over the last few days but he doesn't really strike me as the #1 center that everyone's begging for. Yes he's great on the faceoffs and has great hands around the net, but isn't he a little on the small side?

Theodore cost us that series, not Therrien (unless you think a minor penalty in one game can be responsible for 4 losses). As good as he had been previously, Theodore imploded in the last 3 games of that series.

- Jack

The team gave up on Therien after his stupid penalty.

Edited by GoHabs2002

The only team I can see people preferring to face than us is the Lightning. They don't have a goalie and their D is in tatters. Other than that, we're the draw of choice. Not that players on the opposition will say that - they'll spew on about how balanced the habs are with great goaltending etc.. Doesn't mean a thing.

I like our chances against Philly...that's about it. Still, the way we're playing we could at least steal a couple from Ottawa. Carolina - yikes.