Some People Make Me Laugh...

CerebusClone

Many people (at least in the French community - I haven't watched any TV or paper, or really listened to the radio since yesterday afternoon), seem to believe that the Canadiens got into the playoffs from the backdoor, considering that they only officially made them last night after Atlanta's loss. These people are quickly forgetting that Montreal just had a huge 8-win streak to secure that playoff spot, and would have secured it a while a go if those same Trashers had not also been on a huge hot streak.

This was a close very race, especially with Atlanta and Toronto refusing to die, New Jersey getting very hot at the end of the season, but Monteal held on. At some point, not so long ago, many tought they were dead. If any team got in from the backdoor (and I'm not saying they did), it would be Tampa Bay. They've been inconsistent all season, and were only average in the 15 end. Another week, and they probably would have ended in 9th position.

Win tonight and it doesn't really matter - does it?

And let's face it - another team has to get less points than you do in order for you to make it in, right?

So obviously they have to lose a game somewhere along the way that gives you the edge.....

Just ask the Leafs about a disastrous weekend in Montreal. Those 2 losses were basically the point spread.

Bottom line - Leafs & Atlanta lost games they had to win, the Habs are in, and it will be interesting!

BLAME IT ON THE ENGLISH...... they backed in again! :rolleyes:

I might have agreed with them if Montreal had finished the season on a terrible note, or if they had only just made the playoffs because a team in front of them crumbled at he last minute. However, the Canadiens have been fighting for a playoff spot with teams that all got very hot neat the end, with perhaps the exception of Tampa Bay who did just ok. They more than deserved this playoff spot...

I agree with you cerebus. Montreal got into the playoffs by beating the maple leafs in that crucial two game series and then going on that winning streak. Tampa Bay has been inconsistent all year

I can see them getting swept...

i saw a trend in the media here (french, quebec) for the past week or so. the Canadiens, if you listened these talking heads, we not in the playoffs yet. most of my friends who don't follow hockey thought the Canadiens needed to win to *get into* the playoffs. they've been in 7th place for the couple of weeks!! thanks once again to the Montreal media for blowing things out of proportion by hating on your own damn team. be happy for once.

I can see them getting swept...

That is really relevant...

Points in November = Points in April

Sure it is nice to go into the playoffs with steam, but we have all seen strong finishers wear themselves out and slumbering giants awake in the playoffs.

Are we the 1977 Habs? Umm... no.

Are we a pretty decent team that has one of the best records since the olympics break? Yeah.

Do we have a team that can compete on any given night against any given team? Yup.

Can we make a run if things go well? Sure.

Do we have a nice nucleus on which to build (aka - 7th with promise)? Absolutely

Did montreal get in because Atlanta lost? Yup. If ATL hadnt lost like 30-some games, montreal wouldnt be in the playoffs. Deal.

This whole tread is just silly..of course, if Atlanta had won more games than Montreal, they would be in...what a ridiculous statement. Habs are in because, despite some terrible stretches, they out performed Atlanta, Toronto, etc over the full season, case closed.

oh, ok... still not sure why its relevant... but bugs me far less... :D

it's relevent, because the poster was talking about TB's inconsistency... I was agreeing with that, and adding that I can see them being swept... IMO, I think they were lucky to make the playoffs, and will offer up little resistence in the 1st round.

Way to fly off the handle, simonus... :D:P

Okay guys, I understand we are the heavy underdogs here, but lets think about some things. Montreal has had to face the 1st then 2nd seed for the past 2 seasons (bad memory, can't remember before that.). The teams were both Boston, and at that time they were totally stacked with Guerin and Thornton, Murray, Nylander and the list goes on. Byron Dafoe was their goalie the first time we faced in the playoffs then it was a very very skilled Andrew Raycroft who was simply on fire. What I am trying to say is that the team has been in the same situation before, and we defeated the first seed Boston and the 2nd seed Boston and I feel our team this year could be better (ESPECIALLY IF RIBEIRO AND ZEDNIK PLAY TO THEIR POTENTIAL).

We seem to be very weak against the Hurricanes, and although some may agrue that Ottawa is a better team than Carolina, for our sake I think we want to face Carolina.

I know my comments are not too relevant to our discussion lol but I am just saying that the Canadiens got into the playoffs because they are still a playoff-calibur team, no questions asked. And also so that everyone can stop freaking out about how we will get our asses kicked, just read my first paragraph and you will realise that playoff hockey is a different game, and anything can happen...anyone can win.

Okay guys, I understand we are the heavy underdogs here, but lets think about some things. Montreal has had to face the 1st then 2nd seed for the past 2 seasons (bad memory, can't remember before that.). The teams were both Boston, and at that time they were totally stacked with Guerin and Thornton, Murray, Nylander and the list goes on. Byron Dafoe was their goalie the first time we faced in the playoffs then it was a very very skilled Andrew Raycroft who was simply on fire. What I am trying to say is that the team has been in the same situation before, and we defeated the first seed Boston and the 2nd seed Boston and I feel our team this year could be better (ESPECIALLY IF RIBEIRO AND ZEDNIK PLAY TO THEIR POTENTIAL).

We seem to be very weak against the Hurricanes, and although some may agrue that Ottawa is a better team than Carolina, for our sake I think we want to face Carolina.

I know my comments are not too relevant to our discussion lol but I am just saying that the Canadiens got into the playoffs because they are still a playoff-calibur team, no questions asked. And also so that everyone can stop freaking out about how we will get our asses kicked, just read my first paragraph and you will realise that playoff hockey is a different game, and anything can happen...anyone can win.

Actually the Habs missed the playoff's two seasons ago.

But your point is well taken. Koivu is a plow horse in the playoffs.

GO HABS GO

burry the Canes!

Actually the Habs missed the playoff's two seasons ago.

Yep. This is the 1st time the Habs have made the playoffs in back to back seasons since 98.

Canadiens got into the playoffs from the backdoor, considering that they only officially made them last night after Atlanta's loss.

I kinda do agree that the Habs did though. The only reason why the Habs needed Atl to loose was because TB already had more actual wins.

When you hear people bitching about how the points system works now, because teams can get in having more losses over a team that actually has more wins. This year, the Habs are right close to being that team. :lol:

Do the Habs deserve to be in the playoffs? Yes

Also, we should all send Thank You letters to Bos for being stupid enough to trade the Art Ross Trophy winner - Thorton. Bos was around 9th place at that trade, SJ 12th. SJ now 5th, Bos 13th The amount SJ improved is basically the exact amount Bos got worse. The Habs probably wouldnt have made the playoffs if Bos had not traded Thorton.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

I think they half backed in and I'm an Anglophone. It came down to crunch time where they needed one frikking point at the end of the season and they turned in two pretty poor performances. It was quite obvious to me that this team decided some time back that it made the playoffs. Not so true, obviously. Sure, they had that streak of wins to put them in the drivers seat, however good teams don't just get into good positions, they close doors - they have killer instincts. Montreal got into position, then failed utterly to put in a performance worthy of closing the door. They didn't completely back in, but they didn't drive through. Kinda of a sideways sidle through the door while looking both ways hoping not to hit anyone in the doorway.

They've come a long way since the coaching change, but there are still some very bad habits out there as well as some poor attitudes that haven't come around yet. Unfortunately, the next mistake isn't likely to come from the players, but from the coach. I'm assuming Aebischer is going to get the start in net despite the fact that Huet has been stellar with us, and I'm just not convinced that's the way we should go.

I Unfortunately, the next mistake isn't likely to come from the players, but from the coach. I'm assuming Aebischer is going to get the start in net despite the fact that Huet has been stellar with us, and I'm just not convinced that's the way we should go.

I think you are right, but I hope we are both wrong. Hopefully, either Bob will start Huet OR DA will surprise us with a stellar performance and lead the Habs to an upset.

Actually Montreal made the playoffs because Atlanta lost against Washington. MOntreal had a chance to seal there playoffs with a victory against Buffalo and New Jeresy, held leads in both games and then tanked.

Montreal is in because Atlant couldn't beat Washington, or as it turns out FLorida last night. Had they won both those games, Montreal would be on the outside looking in.

BUt who cares, they now have to prepare for the Carolina Onslaught, and Aebischer better be ready. I find it hard to believe Gainey will use his coach brain and play Huet. I think he'll use his GM brain and play Aebischer

Sure, they had that streak of wins to put them in the drivers seat, however good teams don't just get into good positions, they close doors - they have killer instincts.

That however I completely agree with, as Montreal has lacked that killing instinct for years now. We can see it every game we have a lead going into the 3rd period; instead of sticking to the game plan to give the other team the finishing blow, we play very conservatively, and pretty much give the other team every chance to come back. We saw it again last night; we were dominating the game for 2 periods, stopped playing offense in the third, and just hoped that they wouldn't score 2 or more goals.

I really hate that mentality... if you have a lead in the 3rd, just stick the original game plan which obviously has worked so far.