Official Off Season Thread

Fanpuck33

Here is where we can concentrate all out talk about what you want the Habs to do this offseason, since there are like 5 threads doing the same thing right now.

To start, here is an update list of the team's salary heading into next season and a FA list:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=821

http://www.geocities.com/floridapanthers2000/free2006.html

My own thoughts:

Sign Perezhogin, Bouillon, and Komisarek 1,000,000 each.

Sign Ryder for 2,000,000-2,500,000

Sign Huet for 2,500,000-3,000,000

Let Bulis, Streit, Sunny, and Dags walk

Trade the rights of Ribeiro and Aebi (since they are RFAs)

Trade Souray and Zednik

Salary so far: 30 million

What I want to do with the 9-10 million left:

-A #1/2 center to take the pressure off Koivu

-A top pairing D-man to replace Souray

-A high energy guy to compliment Begin

My Dream: We trade Aebi, Ribs, and Souray to Tampa for Brad Richards. Tampa knows they can't keep the big three together and are in need of a goalie. This deal makes some sense for them. In addition, we sign Pavel Kubina as an UFA to replace Souray.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Richards-Kovalev

Plekanec-Bonk-Perezhogin

Murray-Begin-UFA

Markov-Komi

Bouillon-Kubina

Dandy-Rivet

Huet

Danis

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it mahn ;).

I'd hate to see Souray go though....

Still, Kubina is a R-shot if I'm not mistaken, thus the only switches I'd make would be the D pairings...

Markov - Komi

Dandy - Rivet

Bouillon - Kubina

I think that spreads things out quite nicely, not sure on everyone's shot tho... not that it reaaaallly matters, just another idea is all.

Should be a very interesting off-season for Mr. Gainey. I look forward to many changes, most of them internal because of some very decent young guns!

Nice catch, I've adjusted my D pairings.

Reason I want to move Souray is that I was really disappointed with his play in the playoffs. All the bad stuff should be behind him by now, so that's no excuse. Sure, he scored some goals, but his defensive play was awful. He looked lost out there.

Maybe they should try to convert him to forward. He seems to skate decently and with his size and shot he could be a good power forward. And perhaps with less minutes he could be more effective. Just a silly idea though, it would never happen.

I like your idea actually; Souray as a powerforward would be pretty interesting indeed. He's not a terrible skater, and I've seen him break down the left-wing once in awhile during the season and actually put the puck in the net. Considering we need the size upfront, it'd wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Though, doubt that's what Souray would really like to do, but it's still fun to think about indeed.

Good plan my two cents -- isn't Huet near league minimum this season? I guess it comes down to how the money looks to him (his agent), but Habs did give him a chance and he has only had a hot coupla months -- I'd like a one year contract at $1.5-2mil but I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out also re: Aebischer. D is much better as Komi has come along. About forwards:

Bad: Bertuzzi

Good: Briere Richards Latandresse

Anyway Bob will surprise us

I think that we should keep Souray, since I liked how he played in the playoffs, same goes for Zednik. Here's what I want our lines to look like next season:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Kostitsyn - UFA/trade - Kovalev

Perez - Pleks - Zednik ( I liked this line a lot)

Begin - Bonk - UFA/Downey

Markov - Komi

Souray - UFA/Trade

Rivet - Dandy/ Bouilon

Huet

Danis

Gainey could use Abby, Ribeiro, and draft picks as trade bate. Also don't forget that there is a strong crop of forwardss gainey could sign such as Arnott, Samsonov, and Elias. I think Briere is too. cant wait for the off-season!

Edited by habsrock_6

Good plan my two cents -- isn't Huet near league minimum this season? I guess it comes down to how the money looks to him (his agent), but Habs did give him a chance and he has only had a hot coupla months -- I'd like a one year contract at $1.5-2mil but I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out

Actually, I think your idea is better than mine. I was thinking Huet would be an UFA, so we'd have to pay a bit more for him. But since he is a RFA, hopefully he won't get too greedy and hold out.

I think that we should keep Souray, since I liked how he played in the playoffs

Were you watching the same games as I was? Sure, he scored some goals, but his defence was awful. He was making all kinds of bonehead plays. He was responsible for probably 5-6 goals. I mean, 10 seconds into the series and he made an awful play that resulted in a goal. He looked absolutely lost out there. He reminds me of Andy Delmore.

Souray was brutal this series, no question.

I am a little worried about moving him though. There is nobody on this team that will kick the crap out of people who mess with us. Downy likes to dance and talk big, simpson doesn't get a chance, we all know what happened to Ivanans, Rivet will fight and get messy but not nearly on the same level as Souray.

I would be in favour of moving him to forward or using him in a different way. Something that gives him lots of PP time. He does have a very dangerous shot. (he needs to go back to wood sticks, the new ones just can't handle the pressure he puts on them)

I really want to see Abby go and Huet/Danis get the call. Based on Gainey's handlings of other one year stars, I bet Huet gets 1.5 mil for 1 year. That is basically what happened to Ryder.

Bulis, Sundstrom, Ribeiro, Zednik all gone.

Brad Richards, Peca, Bell, Arnott, Kuba, Kubina all welcome.

Tampa will have a tough time signing everyone. The cap may be going up but they also need to sign a big time goalie. I wouldn't be surprised to see Khabi back there, even at him massive contract.

Well Huet is a UFA and not a RFA, so I think he will command more thant 1.5, some team will be willing to spend around 3.0 on him this summer for sure.

If we can sign Huet to a decent deal, I think too that Aebi should be traded for a Forward who can put the puck in the net. Richards is an interesting idea, but I think TB would like to hold on to him ... and the Nabokov vs St.Louis rumors makes much more sense for TB.

I think Bertuzzi should be the target ... Aebi for Bertuzzi straight up would be a good trade for MTL.

I'm not in favor of changing our D ... all 6 guys played good hockey this year, and we should concentrate on bringing more grit and more scoring in the offence.

Its so easy to throw a bunch of names out there.

"Here's our grocery list Bob, get us those 5 or 6 marquee players without giving anything of value in return."

That worked well for the Rags in the past, didnt it?

I'd rather see Bob do one or two targetted moves (like getting Kovalev and Begin) and see Carbo bring the kids up gradually; than have a whole bunch of vets all brought in at once (which probably is impossible anyway) all in a sudden to replace a whole bunch of current Habs.

When change is done gradually, piece by piece, and given time to gel; it usually works out much better than radical actions that basically destroys whatever fundations and team spirit you've worked so hard to build.

Basically, I'd like to bring in a big Center to compliment Koivu. I believe it was Colin who pointed out Arnott ages ago. I think that has the best chance of happening, as truthfully, I think that T-bay will do their best to keep Richards unless a deal comes along that'd really help them for the long run.

I wonder if Gainey might give Plekanec a chance as 2nd line centre for next year... I'd prefer bringing in someone, but who knows?

I figure tampa keeps EITHER Kubina or Richards. Even with the cap going up, it doesnt necessarily follow that tampa will want to hit the cap and they still need to bring in a goalie (or 2). Seeing as mtl has a quality goalie for trade, we become an interesting partner for tampa... or a few other teams. Actually as one looks at it, Gainey has a pretty decent commodity coming into the off-season. As long as he signs Huet right quick.

It will be interesting to see what gainey does from now on. He is at a crossroads where he can clear out the remaining deadbrush that remains from an earlier era, he has young guns ready to play and he will finally have his own management/coaching team in place. I think good thoughts.

I wonder how Gillette will hold the purse-strings.... 41 straight sellouts gotta give em some room... wasnt the canadien one of the few teams to not lower prices?

Well Huet is a UFA and not a RFA, so I think he will command more thant 1.5, some team will be willing to spend around 3.0 on him this summer for sure.

Corrected once again, I return to my original estimate of a 1 year contract at around 3 million.

Basically, I'd like to bring in a big Center to compliment Koivu. I believe it was Colin who pointed out Arnott ages ago. I think that has the best chance of happening, as truthfully, I think that T-bay will do their best to keep Richards unless a deal comes along that'd really help them for the long run.

Which is why I think my dream is somewhat realistic. Ribiero isn't a terrible 2nd line center, Souray would replace Kubina for them, and Aebi would give them the goalie they needed so badly. It replaces their key losses AND gives them a guy between the pipes. It's something I think they would certainly have to think about.

My Dream: We trade Aebi, Ribs, and Souray to Tampa for Brad Richards. Tampa knows they can't keep the big three together and are in need of a goalie. This deal makes some sense for them. In addition, we sign Pavel Kubina as an UFA to replace Souray.

Unfortunatley that trade doesn't make much sense for Tampa.

Souray makes 2.4 Million

Aebischer will probably get a small rasie to 2.2 Million (avg over a coupleyear deal, maybe higher)

Ribeiro will probably stay at 1.1 Million

That means about $5.7 Million...probably ball park what Richards would cost in the first year of his deal

There it makes no sense to make that deal.

I'm a huge fan of Montreal doing everything it can to get Richards, but it would have to be more prospects, and picks, with Aebischer or Huet as part of the deal

I'd think Tampa would want something like Aebischer, Kostitsyn, Komisarek...... that would be a starting point. Souray is ok, buts Ribs is junk...nobody wants him

Edited by kaos

Its so easy to throw a bunch of names out there.

"Here's our grocery list Bob, get us those 5 or 6 marquee players without giving anything of value in return."

That worked well for the Rags in the past, didnt it?

I'd rather see Bob do one or two targetted moves (like getting Kovalev and Begin) and see Carbo bring the kids up gradually; than have a whole bunch of vets all brought in at once (which probably is impossible anyway) all in a sudden to replace a whole bunch of current Habs.

When change is done gradually, piece by piece, and given time to gel; it usually works out much better than radical actions that basically destroys whatever fundations and team spirit you've worked so hard to build.

Didn't think I'd say this any time soon, but KoZed has a great point here. Look at the Rangers as the poster children for quick big-time changes bringing nothing but futility. Then they shifted over, gave some rookies a chance (Prucha, Lundqvist were good.) and got rid of some of the big names who weren't helping and made the playoffs. But it's ok, they got swept. As KoZed said, it's a gradual process.

That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to bring in one or two pieces to the puzzle in the off season, but not at the expense of the young kids' playing time.

Edited by Mils

Unfortunatley that trade doesn't make much sense for Tampa.

Souray makes 2.4 Million

Aebischer will probably get a small rasie to 2.2 Million (avg over a coupleyear deal, maybe higher)

Ribeiro will probably stay at 1.1 Million

That means about $5.7 Million...probably ball park what Richards would cost in the first year of his deal

There it makes no sense to make that deal.

You practically make my point for me here. Tampa gets 3 players who would play a big role for them for the price of one player.

And as for nobody wanting Ribs, you're wrong. He is not a bad player, he is just a bad Hab. Everybody thought Brisebois was garbage and look what he did this season for the Avs. Only difference between the two is that Brisebois was once a good Hab, while Ribs is just a tool.

I say ship Ribs to the Blues. :P He seemed to fit their style of play this season.

:hlogo:

I don't think we need to make big chances, especially not with the few quality prospects we have. The last thing you want in the salary cap era of the NHL is to miss on a good prospect; the more cheap quality players you have, he more you can spend on keeping (or signing) key veterans like Koivu and Markov. Over the summer, Gainey needs to evaluate the current roster, the prospects currently in the organization, and then he'll need to make some choices.

I also agree with KoZed, and I would personally be satisfied with basically the same roster, except for the departures of Ribeiro and Sundstrom, and choosing one of Huet or Aebischer. Other than that, although for sure I would prefer not paying Bonk that kind of money, we could simply give more responsabilities to Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Komisarek, bring up Kostsitsyn, Maxim Lapierre, and Yann Danis, work on line chemistry, and we'll have a decent team.

The only real question mark in my mind is the number 2/ number 3 center. However, since he was perhaps the best forward for Montreal during the playoffs, I would be fine with giving Plekanec a shot on the second line. Of course, he'll have to prove that he can produce more, but his reliability and good overall play would be a big step up from Ribeiro's inconsistent, often uninspired play. That would leave the 3rd line, where we could either resign Bulis (he's not bad when he's not a top 6 forward), bring up Chipchura (he could use 2 or 3 months in Hamilton), or sign a 3rd line center.

If we resign Bulis, we get something like this (it's just an example), with which I could live with:

Higgins-Koivu-Perezhogin

Ryder-Plekanec-Kovalev

Zednik-Bulis-Kostsitsyn

Lapierre-Bonk-Begin

Of course, ideally, we would sign a player like Jason Arnott, who whould bring the size, toughness, and skills we really lack on our top 2 lines, or trade for Brad Richards who would give us another great overall center, but that most likely won't happen.

Edited by CerebusClone

Souray was brutal this series, no question.

I wonder how many people on this forum who have criticized this player would have responded after stopping a shot point blank the way Souray did? I mean the man came back to play after taking a brutal shot to the 'Holy Grail' and people have the (uuuhhhm, cough, cough) 'balls' to criticize him.

I wonder how many people on this forum who have criticized this player would have responded after stopping a shot point blank the way Souray did? I mean the man came back to play after taking a brutal shot to the 'Holy Grail' and people have the (uuuhhhm, cough, cough) 'balls' to criticize him.

I'll take a defenseman who makes some brutal defensive mistakes if he can offset it with offensive production, grit and character. Its just a matter of limiting the guy's role so you dont rely on him too much.

You practically make my point for me here. Tampa gets 3 players who would play a big role for them for the price of one player.

And as for nobody wanting Ribs, you're wrong. He is not a bad player, he is just a bad habs. Everybody thought Brisebois was garbage and look what he did this season for the Avs. Only difference between the two is that Brisebois was once a good habs, while Ribs is just a tool.

No I think you miss the point entirely. Tampa will not want to bump the cap wtih Richards, or with 3 players that couldn't hold Richards jockstrap. Thats a terrible trade and they only place it will happen is like you said...in your dreams.

And whoever wants Arnott....no way. This guy was junk in that Colorado series. Had a nice regular season, but completely disappeared in the playoffs. Nevermind the fact he's injured often.

Try to trade up for draftday and get a good center at the draft. Try to use Ribs or maybe Zed as tradebaits for that deal. Dont sign anything else but Huet in the off season and keep Aebisher and let them split time until we know if Huet is for real or just a 40game wonder.

End next year on 30th spot and get the 1st overall pick in the draft. Build a team! 3-5 years from now we will see result.. too bad no GM in montreal thought of this after 1995 since that would most likely mean we would be a top team since 1999-2000. Instead we have had 10 years of barely making/missing the playoffs and early exits.

My dream is that the prospects we have now suprises everyone by becoming great next year.

Try to trade up for draftday and get a good center at the draft. Try to use Ribs or maybe Zed as tradebaits for that deal. Dont sign anything else but Huet in the off season and keep Aebisher and let them split time until we know if Huet is for real or just a 40game wonder.

End next year on 30th spot and get the 1st overall pick in the draft. Build a team! 3-5 years from now we will see result.. too bad no GM in montreal thought of this after 1995 since that would most likely mean we would be a top team since 1999-2000. Instead we have had 10 years of barely making/missing the playoffs and early exits.

My dream is that the prospects we have now suprises everyone by becoming great next year.

Sounds like youre suggestion that the Habs should just quit!

:angry: :hlogo:

I agree to a point Dalhabs. I would think alot of players off the current roster will not be resigned, i can think of several who can be traded. The Core group of youngsters is a good one. With trades and off season moves they will need a number 1 and 2 Dman, and a center man. Adding 3 players and reducing the roster by 6 or 7 will make this team better. This will also open up space for Kostytsin. I mentioned on a different post about the line up to hopefully look for. This younger roster will make the team, bigger, faster, younger, cheaper, potentially score more and with solid goaltending and additions of 2 top D could make this team a 7 or 8 seed. In 2 years i see this team alot like Buffalo. I would over pay for 2 good D. With Aebi being only 1.9 million, i would not over pay for Huet. Aeby played just as well after the first 2 games. The removal of the dead wood on this team should clear out about 10 million, this can be spent on the D and a center.