Forget About Richards

MAK

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=166601&hubname=

that probably means the cap will go up to around 45M

Yup, I kind of thought they were going to keep him and nobody else really had a chance. This means other guys onTampa (probably Free Agents) won't be resigned or lowballed for offers.

Montreal is on the right track, they will be fine.

Wow, just wow. What a contract. Not saying he doesn't deserve, as he does. I think Tampa is making a statement with this, that they're truly building a dynasty. Keeping Richards ensures that they'll be competitive for the cup for years to come.

Wow, just wow. What a contract. Not saying he doesn't deserve, as he does. I think Tampa is making a statement with this, that they're truly building a dynasty. Keeping Richards ensures that they'll be competitive for the cup for years to come.

Cup contender for years?

You mean golf contenders for years....

No way in hell can they put a competitive team together with only 23M$ for the remaining 18-19 players left to sign.

Richards is good, but not worth 7.8M$/year and he is not the 2nd best player in the league (only Jagr makes more then him now).

Now how are they going to get a good goalie and upgrade their D ????

TB won't even make the playoffs next year. On the TSN website, TB now has 13 players under contract for next year for 34M$. That leaves them about 10M$ for 8-9 players, an average of about 1M$ per player, and they still lack a good goalie and need to upgrade their D...Feaster is a joke of a GM.

Expect Lecavalier to be traded in the upcoming year once they realize that they have no team and won't make the playoffs. Trading St-Louis would be more logical, but improbable due to his age and contract. Who's gonna want a 31 year old player with 5 years left on his contract at 5.5M$/year and a 61 point contribution in the new NHL...asking the questions is answering it.

The good news is that we have one team less to worry about in our conference :D Thank you Feaster for not knowing your most basic mathematic skill...adding up numbers.

Who in their right mind would spend $20 million (close to half the cap) on THREE players?!?! I think Tampa just screwed themselves over.

dark_faerie87 you have summed up my thoughts. I wonder how they can get a top notch goalie now as they have no room left for quality goaltending.

They spent $34M and they only havem 7 forwards, 4 defenceman and an old goalie under contract.

I'm excited for Kubina but I'm more excited for our chances of getting Lecavalier now (still improbabl but they got bigger). Since we have capspace we can add one of those big salaries.

But Tampa is now in the worst position in the NHL, I think. Like Toronto, they'll be ocmpeting for the 8th seed for years to come, never threatening for a higher spot yet never getting a high draft pick.

They spent $34M and they only havem 7 forwards, 4 defenceman and an old goalie under contract.

I'm excited for Kubina but I'm more excited for our chances of getting Lecavalier now (still improbabl but they got bigger). Since we have capspace we can add one of those big salaries.

But Tampa is now in the worst position in the NHL, I think. Like Toronto, they'll be ocmpeting for the 8th seed for years to come, never threatening for a higher spot yet never getting a high draft pick.

Kubina would be nice... won't hold my breath... NO WAY LECAVALIER! lots of potential but will underachieve - will be killed by the fans & press in Montreal - NO WAY LECAVALIER!!!!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Well, now that they have everyone under contract (their big 3), at least they have the ability to trade one of them instead of losing them under the new UFA rules.

Maybe Jay Feaster feels he's got a good group of younger players ready to rise up and help the team compete.

Look at the Buffalo Sabres who are proving that you don't need the big-name defensemen to get you far anymore.

The only thing Tampa is truly missing to make them a contender is a good goalie, which I'm sure they'll do their best to find this off-season, heh.

Lol, I feel weird talking about Tampa w/ my HWL avatar up :P.

Kubina would be nice... won't hold my breath... NO WAY LECAVALIER! lots of potential but will underachieve - will be killed by the fans & press in Montreal - NO WAY LECAVALIER!!!!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yeah, he always underachieves and is overpaid but he'd still bring fans to the seats and would be a good addition. I don't think he'd choke under the pressure. You have to face pressure to win the Cup even if youu are in Tampa.

lecavalier could become a better player if he was playing for another coach.

I think feaster loves both lecavalier and tortorella so I guess they'll have to work things out.

the odd men out of tampa could be guys like fedotenko or prospal.

man! they really need a goalie, they don't even have a decent one in their system

Good lord....stupidest signing ever. How could he even think he's worth 7.8 mil?

I officially don't like Brad Richards. Well, I didn't anyway but now I never will.

:o Not... Worth... :o...

How... could... you?

;)

Brad Richards, the 2nd highest player in the league. How ridiculous is that? He's a good player, but come on. The spiraling salaries begin again. Tampa Bay will need to trade Lecavalier, St. Louis, or Richards in the near future or their team is finished for the next 5 years... they've already shown they had no depth this year, it'll be worse next year.

Uhhhh...No. Tampa Bay struggled this year and were quickly eliminated becasue they didnt have good goaltending. They still dont have good goaltending and they are not going to have a lot of flexibility even if/when the cap goes up. I think Feaster blew this one. I can see someone getting a good deal on one of TB's big three in a couple of years if the cap is reduced.

I think in this trade, we can easily say that Tampa Bay was backed into the wall and had somewhat no choice to offer Brad the max contract.

The main reason for this thinking is that if Tampa tried to seriously discuss with Brad a more "reasonable" deal (putting reasonable in quotes because it's still hard to determine his actual value in the new NHL keeping in mind he was a Conn Smythe winner) then they knew by the time that would have happened he could have potentially became a RFA.

That's the last thing Tampa needed because Richards is still young and some teams wouldn't probably mind giving up all those draft picks to sign him. Either that or you knew someone was going to give him the max offer and Feaster would have to match it to sign him.

I still think $7.8 M. a season for him is way too much. I don't know all the players who are making the max money out there but of those who I know, some are worth every penny and some aren't.

Jagr is one of them, I think this season speaks for it on it's own and he was worth every penny he was paid. The other is Scott Niedermeyer (I think Pronger too, but I'm not sure) but he's a d-man, not really comparable to Brad. The main waste I could think of is Yashin and he might get bought out by the Isles this summer.

Looks like everyone will want Brad Richards (*cough*Elias*cough*) money this summer... thanks Jay Feaster.

I still think $7.8 M. a season for him is way too much. I don't know all the players who are making the max money out there but of those who I know, some are worth every penny and some aren't.

Jagr is one of them, I think this season speaks for it on it's own and he was worth every penny he was paid. The other is Scott Niedermeyer (I think Pronger too, but I'm not sure) but he's a d-man, not really comparable to Brad. The main waste I could think of is Yashin and he might get bought out by the Isles this summer.

Jagr is interesting as he has played well, and is paid many $$$$millions by Washington as part of the trade.

Half by Caps and half by Rangers.

On a sidenote, it was noted on TSN that you can't do like in the old NHL where one team pays half of the salary and the other pays half like it was Jagr's case.

When you trade now, you get the remainder of the salary that's left to pay.

And just to give you an example on how GMs shouldn't mess around and offer dumb deals anymore, if the Isles wish to buy out Yashin's contract, they would have to pay him $2 M. a year ... for the next 10 years.

I'm not sure how much Lecavalier is making... but Richards is better than Lecavalier. Thus, I suppose he "deserves" more money, heh.

My view of course, is likely a little more than biased because Richards is one of my favorite players in the NHL, so not sure I can really comment on this topic and get much positive feedback :P :P.

The way I see it, in the "New NHL" only the best players are supposed to get the best contracts. We haven't really seen any big contracts done because most GMs have been waiting to see what was going to happen over the course of the year... and now the cap is likely to rise quite a bit. Thus, there's more wiggle room.

Guys on the market who have the calibre to put up a point or 2 a game, will likely get the max contract. And that is what the NHL wants, because a lot of the 'good teams' already are near the top of the cap, so signing these big name players will be, well, impossible.

That just means that teams w/ a ton of cap room will get the chance to land an awesome player, even if it means they've gotta offer him the max contract.

What has this got to do w/ Richards? As Tony pointed out, they had to. If Richards had gone to UFA, he would have almost certainly gotten the max deal.

In my mind, all Feaster is trying to do is keep together a young core. And as I said before, he'll likely look to the farm for further help. And whatever cap room is left when this is all said and done, HAS to go to new goalie, or no, this team will never compete next season. :D

After guys like Iginla, Forsberg, Foote, Thornton, Leetch and Modano all got in the 4-6 mil range, I find it hard to believe Richards would've gotten the max offer. What has he done? One Conn Smythe year? Look where that got Gigeure. How more overrated could a player be? Plus he's an asshole off the ice too.

Way to screw up the FA market Brad.

Uh oh let the speculation begin.

I was watching Sportsnet and the host said something like "Tampa Bay had Lecavalier, Richards and St-Louis locked up for about 50% of the Lightning's salary cap and their salaries combined are about $98 M. The Bolts really need a goalie and don't be surprised if they move one of those guys to get one." And then right after he added "Montreal has an extra goalie that they can move".

Does this guy know something or is it just random stuff he said? Sounds random to me.

After guys like Iginla, Forsberg, Foote, Thornton, Leetch and Modano all got in the 4-6 mil range, I find it hard to believe Richards would've gotten the max offer. What has he done? One Conn Smythe year? Look where that got Gigeure. How more overrated could a player be? Plus he's an asshole off the ice too.

Way to screw up the FA market Brad.

I agree that it's screwing us the FA market, lol.

Though, of the list, I think you can only compare the RIchards thing to Iginla and Thornton. The rest are either older players who don't have that much left, or often injured (Forsberg). Still, Iginla signed for less because he wanted to free up more cap room so that his team could be successful... now that's a player who wants to win! :D. Thornton probably deserves the max contract, but the guy just disapears in the playoffs, hehe.

As for Giggy, mahn! That guy was allll pads... haha. Too bad the new rules had him cut those down :P.

Uh oh let the speculation begin.

I was watching Sportsnet and the host said something like "Tampa Bay had Lecavalier, Richards and St-Louis locked up for about 50% of the Lightning's salary cap and their salaries combined are about $98 M. The Bolts really need a goalie and don't be surprised if they move one of those guys to get one." And then right after he added "Montreal has an extra goalie that they can move".

Does this guy know something or is it just random stuff he said? Sounds random to me.

I wish he knew something! :P But I'm not sure the Lightning like Aebischer.

I'd be pissed off if Aebischer was traded to the Lightning for one of those guys.

I'd be even more pissed off because it would've meant we could've had one.

Lecavalier, Richards>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Turgeon