Leafs Ready To Sign Mccabe

Sportsnet.ca - Sportsnet has learned that the Toronto Maple Leafs and defenceman Bryan McCabe are closing in on a new multi-year deal that will make McCabe the highest paid defenceman on the team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...531_134945_4084

My 2 cents: $10 million between two not bad but not great defenceman, YIKES.

Gotta disagree.

His strength is not defensively, I suppose, but pair him up with a defensively solid partner and he's a super asset to the team.

I would have no problem having him on my team. I would see him paired off with Rivet or someone like that and that would yield a more than satisfactory situatioon for me.

With him on the power play... the possibilities are marvelous.

The same goes with the Leafs. Pair off McCabe with defensive stalwart and they have a fine situation.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Considering the crazy contract Kaberle got, I expect McCabe to get something like 5.5M over 4 or 5 years. Too much money, imo. I wouldn't say he's that much better than Souray.

Good call BTH, he'll reportedly earn 5.5-6 mil.

As if he wasn't overpaid at 3.5. Way to ruin to market for Robbie, Bryan. Although him and Joe have both said they expect to re-sign before July 1st. *shrugs* I guess we'll see what happens.

Good call BTH, he'll reportedly earn 5.5-6 mil.

As if he wasn't overpaid at 3.5. Way to ruin to market for Robbie, Bryan. Although him and Joe have both said they expect to re-sign before July 1st. *shrugs* I guess we'll see what happens.

I have a feeling we will see them both sign below market value. Why? Sakic does not want to go anywhere considering all the money he has made. It just has to be respectable.

Rob Blake wants to stay in Colorado too which makes the job to resign him more streamlined with all people thinking alike. I have faith in Blake that he will be an Avalanche until he retires.

This McCabe thing just smells for anyone resigning players. I like Bryan and think offensively he gives the Leafs an incredible punch from the blueline. What I do not like is how Montreal skated rings around him yet he is a #1 defenceman on the Leafs. I would really like to see that be proven.

All said and done I have confidence in both Colorado and Montreal as they both have plans just in a different way. The Toronto plan confuses me, 1/4 of their payroll in two defenceman who are not TOP 10 in the league overall.

Yep, I know Joe will sign below market value. I think thats a given, hes done so much for the team and the team has done a lot for him. I'm not saying Paul Kariya-ish value but it will be under what Forsberg signed for. Maybe 3.5-4.5?

Robbie has me worried though, I'm scared we'll let him walk.

This is simply hilarious. As recently as a month ago, McCabe said he wanted a 5 year deal worth 5 million per season. What do the Leafs do? They give him MORE. Not only that, but the deal includes a unique no-movement clause. This not only incorporates the standard no-trade clause, but also prohibits him from being waived. So now, they've given him more than he wanted, and if he doesn't pan out, they can't even waive the guy. JFJ has struck again folks.

Considering the crazy contract Kaberle got, I expect McCabe to get something like 5.5M over 4 or 5 years. Too much money, imo. I wouldn't say he's that much better than Souray.

That price is too high, considering the salary caps. If Toronto gives him what he wants, they're going to cramp their movement space for other deals.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

This is simply hilarious. As recently as a month ago, McCabe said he wanted a 5 year deal worth 5 million per season. What do the Leafs do? They give him MORE. Not only that, but the deal includes a unique no-movement clause. This not only incorporates the standard no-trade clause, but also prohibits him from being waived. So now, they've given him more than he wanted, and if he doesn't pan out, they can't even waive the guy. JFJ has struck again folks.

Nothing is official yet, so that "no-movement" clause may not be exactly as described. For starters, I don't see why any GM would contractually agree to a clause which would prevent him, and any other GM of the Leafs in the next 5 years, from waiving him, or attempting to waive him. Remember that a few years ago, Tie Domi had a clause in his contract that gave him a bonus if he led the league in PIM, which the league then declared void. I'd wait until an official announcement is made. But if it is true, Fergie may have made the last dumb move of his Leafs GM career.

Nothing is official yet, so that "no-movement" clause may not be exactly as described. For starters, I don't see why any GM would contractually agree to a clause which would prevent him, and any other GM of the Leafs in the next 5 years, from waiving him, or attempting to waive him. Remember that a few years ago, Tie Domi had a clause in his contract that gave him a bonus if he led the league in PIM, which the league then declared void. I'd wait until an official announcement is made. But if it is true, Fergie may have made the last dumb move of his Leafs GM career.

This whole McCabe thing is really strange. Fan590 in T-Dot was all over this with arguement after arguement. At one point they said 70% of people emailing them did not like the deal. (No movement) A few Habs fans phoned in loving it which only upset the mostly BIASED hosts.

Even Don Cherry is saying this is great. If it does turn out to be $6million per year, that is way too high and just handcuffed the Leafs for years. Rumors now have Lindros coming back for $750,000 per. No wonder, 2 defenceman and a centre have 1/3 of the team salary. :P

Any defenceman Montreal was going to approach now will want an increase in salary demand because of this McCabe deal. Maybe you guys are right, stick with our "D", but do make offers and concentrate on offense.

Would be a real Toronto style move to over pay an over rated player. This guy is nothing more than an avg d-man with a decent shot. He isn't a francise defenceman and doesn't deserve that type of money. Hopefully the Laughs sign the deal and seal their fate for the next few years in the deal. What a joke Fergie jr is. So glad he isn't involved in our beloved francise.

Interesting article in todays Sun by Steve Simmons

Leafs Signing with Quinn Comments on McCabe

Interesting how Quinn didn't consider McCabe to be a top 10 NHL defenceman?

A ridiculous amount for at best an average top 20 defenceman with offensive talent and little defensive upside. There are going to be a lot of angry managers out there wondering what is wrong with this organization.

They refused to believe there was going to be a lockout and that a salary cap wasn't in their best interests two years ago, and this insanity just seems to prove that they haven't learned anything from that misjudgement, or the Belfour contract.

The bar has been set for the true top 10's available this year and it starts above 6 million per season.

Seems that NHL management can't even operate responsibly under Gary's wonderful salary cap......

STUPIDITY in Leafland!

:wacko:

Interesting article in todays Sun by Steve Simmons

Leafs Signing with Quinn Comments on McCabe

Interesting how Quinn didn't consider McCabe to be a top 10 NHL defenceman?

:wacko:

hehehe Love the article, thanks for posting beliveau1. McCabe is not 100% bad, as he does light up the powerplay for those pesky Leafs. I don't know the numbers but I bet the Leafs won more games due to the gift 2-man powerplays given them this year. They sure were a yuck team with 5 on 5.

What I do not get is how the Leaf management does not see his defensive liabilities. Is it just me, am totally wrong here? His canopener move is illegal and it is the only defensive play he has. Oh well better to see this as a Leaf problem than the Habs trying to sign this guy YIKES.

Now the Leafs have 5 dollars and a cup of coffee to go after a big name free agent.

(P.S. Most Toronto media believe Kaberle and McCabe are 2 of the top 10 defenceman in the league, clueless)

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

hehehe Love the article, thanks for posting beliveau1. McCabe is not 100% bad, as he does light up the powerplay for those pesky Leafs. I don't know the numbers but I bet the Leafs won more games due to the gift 2-man powerplays given them this year. They sure were a yuck team with 5 on 5.

What I do not get is how the Leaf management does not see his defensive liabilities. Is it just me, am totally wrong here? His canopener move is illegal and it is the only defensive play he has. Oh well better to see this as a Leaf problem than the Habs trying to sign this guy YIKES.

Now the Leafs have 5 dollars and a cup of coffee to go after a big name free agent.

(P.S. Most Toronto media believe Kaberle and McCabe are 2 of the top 10 defenceman in the league, clueless)

No problem - certainly an interesting article, especially given the fact it is in a Toronto based paper.

I agree - McCabe certainly brings offensive talent to the table, but he is a major liability defensively.

Even at the other teams blueline. And his offense is limited to his shot. As a result the good teams recognized that quickly and then simply took the point shot away from their powerplay.

Ferguson is now tied to this albatross of stupidity and the free agents are probably sending him gold plated thank you cards by the dozens.......

Only in Toronto you say..... pity!!!!!!

McCabe deal still in limbo

Source: http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/0...616709-sun.html

Nearly a week has gone by since the Maple Leafs and defenceman Bryan McCabe apparently agreed on a five-year contract, but no official announcement has been made by the club.

Why not? Usually, when a story of this magnitude breaks, there's confirmation in the following 24 hours.

There are a couple of points of speculation relating to the delay of the announcement. One is the contract is being held up at the board level at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., with members trying to decide whether giving McCabe a five-year pact with a no-movement clause is a good idea. MLSEL president Richard Peddie, however, said yesterday, "There are no board issues at all with the contract."

The other possible reason for the delay could involve McCabe's wife, Roberta, who might not be comfortable in committing to another five years in Toronto. The couple has a daughter, Stevie, who was born last September, and a home in Long Island, N.Y., where Roberta's family lives. The thinking is Roberta McCabe would like to be closer to her New York ties.

One source said the club was set to announce the deal, with McCabe, at a news conference, last Thursday.

The deal calls for McCabe, who turns 31 in two days, to be paid approximately $28.75 million US. He is coming off his best season when he was third among defencemen with 68 points (19 goals and 49 assists) in 73 games. Previously, McCabe's top campaign was 2003-04, when he had 16 goals and 37 assists.

Neither McCabe nor his agent, Jeff Solomon, returned messages yesterday. Leafs general manager John Ferguson could not be reached for comment.