Belfour To Florida? Habs Implications....

Naslund

According to TSN, the Eagle is in Florida today working out for the Panthers. If he passes his physical, they are going to sign him. This leaves the Red Wings still without a number one goalie.

Anyone think that Bob will be getting a call from Mr. Holland soon to ask about Abbie?

Normally I would like to think a deal between Wings and Habs would be a good one, but I believe the better option would be between the Wings and Sabres. The Wings still have a lot of seasoned veterens that would be helpful for the younger Sabres.

Good, If Eddie signs that's one more goalie that is off the market. That leaves Biron versus Aebischer. Did I miss someone?

Anyway, the Habs implications are good in so far as we are one step closer to Aebischer's stock RISING :king:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Don't forget Nabakov and Legace... good goalies are a dime a dozen these days.

Nabakov is a good option, but his contract may be a little high, as for Legace, well didn't they just let him go?

Edited by riker

Weekes is another name out there but St. Louis seems to be to most interested team. Buffalo, I suspect, will want more in return for Biron as the habs would for Abby.

Don't forget Nabakov and Legace... good goalies are a dime a dozen these days.

or toskala or bryzgalov...so I don't think that aebicher's stock is a its best right now. I hope we can work something out with another team but I don't hold my breath

in the end, isnt it more prudent to hold on to aebischer until we can be more certain about huet? I believe in huet, but i wouldnt mind having a little insurance.

It's hard to step back from being a fan, to acknowledge any Habs player might be a flash in the pan -- I agree 100%. Remember the Capitals' Jim Carey?

I do have a strong faith in Huet. But to hope for the best and plan for the worst is a sound working philosophy.

As Huet establishes his consistency, Aebischer ought to be traded before the winter holidays. The only risk in keeping Abby is the market drying up by that time.

Edited by MCeh

The only risk in keeping Abby is the market drying up by that time.

There are three things that are certain:

1) Death

2) Taxes

3) Some team's starting goalie will stink

Edited by simonus

There are three things that are certain:

1) Death

2) Taxes

3) Some team's starting goalie wil stink

4) maple leafs will not win the cup :lol:

4) maple leafs will not win the cup :lol:

LOL

I hope we hang on to Aebi for a while anyway.. unless something REALLY amazing comes along, I think he's worth more on the team... Sorry, Yann...

I wouldn't be surprised if Aebischer steals the starting job later in the season. He's one of those goalies that's completly unstoppable when he's at his best. One of the most talented in the league. Just watch an Aebi highlight video. There are only a couple of other goalies who can put one as impressive together. I'm one of the people that isn't 100% sold on Huet. Look what happened to Theodore. I'm just happy to have 2 goalies who seem to be more than capable starters. And it helps that they're two different styles - if they're platooning, it's good to have that kind of versatility.

I think that Aebi won't be traded anytime soon for two reasons.

1) He isn't one of the best goalies available via free agency or trade (remember one of the best organizationsin the league gave up on him), so his trade value isn't very high. I'd put Nabokov, Biron, Giguere and Legace ahead of Aebi.

2) Insurance is at a premium, as Huet may get injured or flop, and we don't have another goalie in the system ready to step in (come on, do you really think Danis is ready to play meaningful minutes?)

I think that Aebi won't be traded anytime soon for two reasons.

1) He isn't one of the best goalies available via free agency or trade (remember one of the best organizationsin the league gave up on him), so his trade value isn't very high. I'd put Nabokov, Biron, Giguere and Legace ahead of Aebi.

2) Insurance is at a premium, as Huet may get injured or flop, and we don't have another goalie in the system ready to step in (come on, do you really think Danis is ready to play meaningful minutes?)

The most important reason that he won't be traded is that there is not a huge market for him. Maybe there will be around the trade deadline if a goalie suffers a severe injury, but for right now, nobody needs a goalie that badly, and if they do, there are plenty of options to choose from.

I'd put Nabokov, Biron, Giguere and Legace ahead of Aebi.

Nabokov AGREED

Biron AGREED

Giguere AGREED

Legace DISAGREE.

Legace is touted to land as a backup somewhere. I put him behind Aebischer IMO.

Blast it, The Rangers are trying to trade Weekes (according to code). He'll have an impact on this situation too no doubt.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Weekes is a mediocre back-up, Legace is a good back-up, Biron is a solid starter, Aebischer is a good starter. Aebischer's a little less consistent but when he plays his best (every couple of games) he's one of the best out there. I would take him over a bunch of other guys - maybe even Giguere who's looking somewhat like an overpaid one-hit wonder with attitude problems (very much like Theo).

Belfour, should sign with Florida. He has a good history with Mike Keenan.

Aebi stays put untill Gainey can leverage him for another big pickup. Probably, the big scoring center we need to make a good effort in the playoffs, if we are in a good position to challenge in the playoffs then expect a trade mid season; including Aebi and one other...

I think Aebischer starts the season in Montreal. I think he probably lasts 25 games minimum. If Huet plays anywhere close to last season, then Gainey will try to deal him for a need. The only other variable in the equation is Yann Danis.

Nabokov AGREED

Biron AGREED

Giguere AGREED

Legace DISAGREE.

Legace is touted to land as a backup somewhere. I put him behind Aebischer IMO.

Blast it, The Rangers are trying to trade Weekes (according to code). He'll have an impact on this situation too no doubt.

Personally, I beleive Aby is the 2nd best goalie available, and I'd say that is debatable, and he probably is #1. Biron is good, and might be considered better, he simply doesnt have the experience Aby has. While Giguere has aboot the same playoff experience as Aby, Aby has had more international experience. Nabokov has international experience, but he doenst have the same NHL experience as Aby. :P

Basically Aby is the only 1 of these Goalies who has come up big time when it mattered, especially at the Worlds. Suis won several games that they should have never won, only because Aby stood on his head and they were able to steal some wins over teams like Canada, USA, and Czechs.

For some insane reason the trend in top performing goalies seems to have completely left Quebec, and is now Suis. Kipper, Aby, Gerber, and Huet are all products of the Suis elite league.

Personally, I beleive Aby is the 2nd best goalie available, and I'd say that is debatable, and he probably is #1. Biron is good, and might be considered better, he simply doesnt have the experience Aby has. While Giguere has aboot the same playoff experience as Aby, Aby has had more international experience. Nabokov has international experience, but he doenst have the same NHL experience as Aby. :P

Basically Aby is the only 1 of these Goalies who has come up big time when it mattered, especially at the Worlds. Suis won several games that they should have never won, only because Aby stood on his head and they were able to steal some wins over teams like Canada, USA, and Czechs.

For some insane reason the trend in top performing goalies seems to have completely left Quebec, and is now Suis. Kipper, Aby, Gerber, and Huet are all products of the Suis elite league.

Maybe the smaller equipment has negatively affected the butterfly guys more than we suspected. I'm interested to see how Luongo plays this year. For all his talent, he has never had a winning season, never won any awards...his excuses run out in Vancouver, which should still, after all the departures, be the best team he has ever played for.

Edited by hankhab