This Season

Chris

I thought i would start a topic about the upcoming Season. Where I think the Habs really are and what to expect. I'm not a new poster i was habschris last year but i forgot my password and needed to sign up again. I have red numerous posts over the summer and pre season. The losses don't upset me nearly as much as the poor effort it sounds like is going on. Good for Higgins calling people out, about time.

First I'll start with the draft, i think it was a good draft heavy on D prospects. I think Johnson and Samsonov were great pick ups but i wouldn't play Kovalev and Samsonov together, they are basically the same kind of player.

There was an article posted about the upcoming season that made alot of posters angry saying the habs didn't address certain needs, Center and D. Most importantly moving out the core players. The habs fightiong for a playoff spot. I for one totally agree with that assessment. Here's why:

The center position is still way too small to compete with bigger teams. The team is still not physical enough, i count 3 players who are reliably physical, Murray Begin and komisarek. Please don't say Rivet or Souray, taking a roughing penalty after the whistle blows or picking the occaisional fight with someone smaller is not tough. With Carbo's announcemet of the lines, is there any one in the top 9 forwards who will hit someone or win a battle i don't think so. Please don't say this is the new NHL and teams don't need to be tough, Edmonton and Carolina were big, tough and fast, they made it to the finals.

I think the offense on paper will be better but will it be enough?

The D is average at best, no real good skaters or a dominant D.

And last the core, let's be realistic, aside from Koivu, who is a leader out of his core. When Koivu is out, that's it the habs lose way more then they win. If the rest of the core were good leaders, solid talent, this wouldn't be a major issue.

Ongoing trends with the core players: last 3-5 years. (Numerous coaches and fringe players)

Unless the Goalie was the best player on the ice, this team can't win, whether that is / was Theo, Huet or Aebisher. With average goaltenbding this team would never have made the playoff the last 3-5 years.

Never ready to play when the game starts, they always play from behind.

Way too many penalties: I red they were in the top 3 in hooking and holding penalties last year, that's lazy, not skating, not winning battles.

Don't play to win, they play not to lose, when they get up 1 zero, they play for a shut out instead of pouring it on.

The PK and until last year the PP are just awfull. You would think with Carbo, Gainey, Jarvis they would know how to kill penalties.

The good news: Great core of young players: Pleks, Higgins, Chipchura, Price, Lattendresse. I think the jury is out on what kind of players Perez and Kosty will be.

Over all i think if they can play hard every night this is a playoff team and should on paper anyway be more exciting to watch and score more goals this year. Only time will tell. I think Gainey, Carbo and the orginization is heading in the right direction, I think in a couple of years they'll be a consistant top 4 or 5 seed playoff team.

Let's hope this is a good playoff year.

I sort of agree on some points except,

Markov is a really good puck moving D

Higgins plays damn physical on the boards and will always fight for the puck.

And i think we should give Ribs one more shot, i saw him totally undress a guy in the first Toronto game and i also saw him make some really nice passes.

Realistically, i think we can finish 6th.

4th or 5th seed

2nd round exit on a close game 7. Just not ready to say this is a semi final type team yet. Of course we'll know what is more realistic by January when the team has played together for a while. But at this moment they are a solid 2nd round playoff team based off of last year. Now are they capable of something better? Oh course, but they still have some glaring holes. Could they be the Edmonton of this year? Hopefully, that be awesome. But right now on the 24th of September thats what I think anyway.

There is enough parity now in the league that success or failure will by and large depend on how the players individually do. For example, if Huet sucks, we are in trouble. If some of our top players get injured, or have off years, we are in trouble.

This team has potential to be a 2nd round team, but the odds of going much farther are low (not impossible mind you). Will the team live up to its potential... hard to say.

Edited by brobin

I like our team this year.

We can analyze the team to death, but I'm pretty happy with what we have.

I'd just like to see a lot less penalties...and what frustrates me the most is that the habs never shoot. They pass, and pass and pass and pass. Then when they do shoot they miss the net, I'd love for some wristers on the net, with someone there to gobble the rebound.

I like our team this year.

We can analyze the team to death, but I'm pretty happy with what we have.

I'd just like to see a lot less penalties...and what frustrates me the most is that the habs never shoot. They pass, and pass and pass and pass. Then when they do shoot they miss the net, I'd love for some wristers on the net, with someone there to gobble the rebound.

I agree with ALL points you put out, bar. Thank you. The only thing I might add would be I'd love to see the use of the backhand shot become a bit more prevalent.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Dark Horse season.

If the Canadiens can continue from where they finnished last season I think the Habs can go all the way. Johnson and Samsonov adds a new dimension to the team and the young guns should be a season better.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs and once there, anything could happen.