Winnipeg Girls Win Right To Play On Boys' Hockey Team

Pierre the Great

so I guess boys are now allowed to play on girls teams.

if the girls are good enough to play with boys, I really don't see a problem.

It's just stupid to let girls play on boys teams. Guys aren't going to play hard with girls on the ice. No guy is going to go into the corner with a girl and knock her on her ass. And if anyone did hit them, they'll be crying back to the girls team. In general, boys are bigger, stronger, and faster than girls. They might be able to hold their own, but only because guys aren't going to play against them with 100% intensity.

They the girls team is a joke. Maybe if they spent more time playing with the girls than suing to get on the boys team, they could have turn the girls team into a solid team. Kids are competitive. If the rest of the team sees these two girls playing hard and well, it rubs off on the rest of the team. Now, the girls team loses two players and they think even less of themselves.

It's just stupid to let girls play on boys teams. Guys aren't going to play hard with girls on the ice. No guy is going to go into the corner with a girl and knock her on her ass. And if anyone did hit them, they'll be crying back to the girls team. In general, boys are bigger, stronger, and faster than girls. They might be able to hold their own, but only because guys aren't going to play against them with 100% intensity.

LOL of course the guys aren't this is high school hockey after all. You'll either get three kinds of people now playing.

I had a girl on my football team. She did share the same locker room as us but she was a lineman so she wasn't er the prettiest. These girls look decent. This means they are going to have to be seperated because high school guys are horny little fellas and the instant the girls take off the pads....

Then they are going to have to insitute a no dating policy. Because well thats a given.

Third the opposing teams will either go after them hard. (the bully type of kids) and some will yell insults and derogitory comments at them. I hope they have thick skin.

And I doubt they'll play because the girl on my team never played. She only played a couple of times during blow outs because the coaches were afraid of the opposing team doing something dirty.

Honestly, I dont really know what the big deal is about. I'm 29 and more than 10 years ago when I was Bantam age there were 2 or 3 girls on boys teams, because there was no girls team.

Granted, the girls were butches and they were bigger than half of the boys and as violent as any, but it was never an issue.

If the girls are prissy, bring them back to reality with a well-timed legal check. That's the game and no one's above the game.

Anyway does Canada have any Title IV type stuff.

I think you mean Title IX. It should be noted that the Canadian suit was filed under a provincial, not federal claim.

In the US, under Title IX, schools do not have to allow women to try out for male contact sports teams.

Coached a Minor Bantam AA team a couple of years back and we had a girl on defence.

As a staff we debated the choice quite a bit over the course of training camp, as she was on the bubble at that time. She was big enough and good enough to play at the level, but we had some nagging doubts about the latter part of the season though? We were in a pickle if we cut her due to the fact they had the right to play, and possibly in one if we chose her and she wasn't capable? n the end we decided to take her as our last choice on defence. We always had a rep for shaking the previous years roster up and doing things our way - with a great deal of success too?

Fortunately, over the course of the year she managed to handle herself quite well for the most part against the guys, and most nights she was a decent # 4-5 defenceman on that team. She won an MVP award in a championship game at a big tournament we were in that year, and was not a liability to us while there. If I had a chance to do it over I would probably make the same choice. I have no regrets from that choice - it was a great learning experience for our staff, and especially for her at that level.

However the reality was that by the end of the season most of the boys at that level had grown significantly enough that she was always a step behind, and not nearly as strong. Physically she had matured very little in comparison to the boys her age. As a result she chose to switch over to the senior girls leagues in Southern Ontario, something both her father and we as a staff were recomending to her as the season wound down. last I heard was doing extremely well - I'd be surprized if she might not get a chance on the Women's National roster some time?

However that said, I still believe that a seperation of the sexes is more suitable than the option to merge them at any level. Having an activity and peers of your own gender to participate with is an important aspect of life, and it signifies the differences that are between the two sexes. Doing so does not specify that one is superior to or weaker than the other. That is a myth that the politically correct have foisted upon society and one that women's lib has used for years now. Equality does not necessarily mean that all should have to do the same things together - a seperate identity and peer group is important to both genders. And the current playing field has done a 'wonderful' job of emasculating the male species in today's society, and whether some like it or not, it has not been of any great benefit to society.

I see no victory for anyone in this decision......

Edited by beliveau1

Yeah I meant IX.

So the answer would be no. right?

hmm.

Okay here's something I've always thought why didn't it translate. When I was a kid I was on a soccer, baseball, basketball team. All the teams were mixed up to middle school. Then everything changed. Why? Why can't girls play with the boys and vice a versa.

Look at all the kid sports if you have kids. Chances are the teams are mixed. Why do they seperate when they get older?

Good for them I guess. The worry here is that this will have an adverse affect of womens hockey.

Women's hockey in the country has fantastic roots. This may lead to more female elite hockey players going with the men...what program will suffer I wonder?

Oh well.

Title IX to me is all about girls rights. If they want to play sports they should have a team so they can play sports. If they want to play with the guys they should be allowed too.

These girls in a way are going to make the girls hockey teams better. Because they want to challenge themselves. fine, great for them. But what this does is leave those two spots open on the girls team where a two girls who really want to play finally will get a chance too.

These girls in a way are going to make the girls hockey teams better. Because they want to challenge themselves. fine, great for them. But what this does is leave those two spots open on the girls team where a two girls who really want to play finally will get a chance too.

It doesn't make the team better, necessarily - probably worse, assuming they are good players and their replacements are not as good, which seems likely in these circumstances. They want to play with the boys because the girls aren't at their level... maybe some boys who don't make the boys team will want to play with the girls?

Kids are separated in sports because, in general, boys grow bigger and stronger. Yes, there are exceptions, but I tend to agree with beliveau that if there is a girl's team, girls shouldn't be allowed on the boy's team.

I used to play pickup hockey in which a couple of girls played, and I once accidentally ran into one while playing. She went flying like she wasn't even there, but fortunately wasn't seriously hurt. However, woman playing with men in a physical sport like hockey, even if it's officially no-contact, is a safety issue.

lol safety issue.

The girl that was on my football team always was paired up with me in drills. I didn't like pushing her in the chest, I thought it was a bit uncomfortable. But she ended up becoming the Rudy of the team anyway students always rooting for her and such.

But I will say it wasn't the most comfortable situation but then again neither was the football team as a whole, we were really really good but we had racial issues and such.

But she was a tough girl, I'll say that but it was uncomfortable at first. Then it was like she's just another person in pads and such.

Let them play, and make them sign waivers to the effect that if/when they get hit/creamed they can't sue the individual, team, league, governing body etc.........

If they want to play with the "big boys" they have to accept the conequences

The problem is this is also reverse sex discrimination, and guy wanting to now join a women's team SHOULD BE ALLOWED BY THIS RULING PERIOD!

lol safety issue.

The girl that was on my football team always was paired up with me in drills. I didn't like pushing her in the chest, I thought it was a bit uncomfortable. But she ended up becoming the Rudy of the team anyway students always rooting for her and such.

But I will say it wasn't the most comfortable situation but then again neither was the football team as a whole, we were really really good but we had racial issues and such.

But she was a tough girl, I'll say that but it was uncomfortable at first. Then it was like she's just another person in pads and such.

I've read this post 3 times looking for a point, without success. Any help is appreciated!

Let them play, and make them sign waivers to the effect that if/when they get hit/creamed they can't sue the individual, team, league, governing body etc.........

If they want to play with the "big boys" they have to accept the conequences

The problem is this is also reverse sex discrimination, and guy wanting to now join a women's team SHOULD BE ALLOWED BY THIS RULING PERIOD!

Why in the world would they have to sign a waiver that the guys wouldn't have to? If they sign up to play, they've signed up to play - they would have exactly as much ability to sue for on-ice incidents as guys.

Implicit or explicit in everybody's arguments is the fact that men are generally better at physical sports than women. It would thus be illogical and disingenuous to say that a ruling that women should be allowed to play on mens team would imply the reverse.

Why in the world would they have to sign a waiver that the guys wouldn't have to? If they sign up to play, they've signed up to play - they would have exactly as much ability to sue for on-ice incidents as guys.

Implicit or explicit in everybody's arguments is the fact that men are generally better at physical sports than women. It would thus be illogical and disingenuous to say that a ruling that women should be allowed to play on mens team would imply the reverse.

I agree on the first point.

On the second point, the ruling says that these women can be on the boy's team, presumably because they are exceptions to the rule (i.e. they have a 'competitive disconnect' with other girls - but they're good enough to compete with boys). It follows that if this is done, then an exception can be made for those boys who aren't competitive with other boys, but are competitive with girls. To me, what is illogical is the ruling.

my knowledge of athletics gender issues extends primarily to american precedent, but let me offer this additional consideration:

everyone agrees that only a few females are good enough to play on mens' teams. Let us say that only one or two females are good enough to make the team per year. Remember, the ruling does not force the team to place the women on the team, only that they ought to have the opportunity to try.

This is not the same scenario for womens' teams. Many more men could make the womens' team. In theory, the womens' team could simply become the relegation squad for the mens' team.

I've read this post 3 times looking for a point, without success. Any help is appreciated!

Okay here's what I was saying

I was always paired with the girl in drills. (Kinda odd since I was a foot and half taller then her)

I didn't like push or tackle her because well we as lineman are taught to do things and on days where we were not in pads I had to put my hands on her chest during these drills. So instead of pushing and grabing plastic I would have to grab well you get the idea. I didn't like doing that. Talk about unconfortable. She was fine with it though.

The football team won on race. The team was entirely black except for me, the kicker from the soccer team (which was all white). We won on hate of the white person.

The girl never got to play in the Varsity games but the students always rooted her on yelling put her in, etc.

Does that clarify?