Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Toronto | 10/07/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with a lot of what you wrote, here is what I disagree with.

1. I don't agree that Koivu's skills appear to be in decline. In fact, I think he'll have his best year this year, he looks like a very similar player to what he used to be but seems to be less hesitant to shoot.

2. Dandenault: WHile I agree he was one of the top Dmen tonight, I thought Komi was better because of Dandy's multiple penalties.

3. Komi is our #2 Dman already. Who else is there, It ain't Rivet or Sourray, that's for damn sure.

Hmm, Koivu has lost a substantial chunk of speed and agility in the past 2-3 years. Just pick up a tape from back then and you'll see that he was much better at finding and exploiting openings back then. He might get his best season points-wise this year, but I think its more a testament to the overall better cast around him and "new NHL" than anything else. To his credit, he adapted his game and uses his shot more, however he kinda reminds me of Paul Kariya. Still a good offensive player, but years and injuries took away some of that extra edge.

Dandeneault's 2 penalties weren't bad. The first one was a joke and the second one was the proverbial "good" penalty where something dangerous was happening and he had to fix someone else's mistake. Otherwise he's probably our most reliable D at the moment.

Naaah, Komi's not our #2 D as we speak, he's still behind Souray & Rivet in the hierarchy... Though he'll slowly get there as he starts logging more ice-time riding shotgun with Markov.

Higgins is really turning into more of a power forward.

I think that the #1 sign that Kovalev isn't in his game is that he didn't score in the shootout when he was shooting for the win - a clutch player like that scores those 9 times out of 10.

Dandenault looked great. I liked the play where Komisarek (I think) got caught and some Leaf had a breakaway and Dandy came speeding out of nowhere to break it up. Always liked this one. It seems that now we need him more than ever, while the rest of the D slumps.

Absolutely agree about Dandy & Komi....unlike most of the team who only showed up towards the end, these 2 guys + Abby & Higgins played hard the entire way...........I hope we don't end up being a team that always plays to the level of their competition.

I think that the #1 sign that Kovalev isn't in his game is that he didn't score in the shootout when he was shooting for the win - a clutch player like that scores those 9 times out of 10.

Give him some credit. He made a nice move and did beat Raycroft. Unfortunately, he just narrowly hit the post and it didn't go in.

Edited by Cataclaw

Aebischer seemed to be in Olympic form. He stole the game. I was excited when it went to shootout because Aebischer has way more experience than Raycroft.

Here's the WELCOME ABBY video from youtube. Abby made saves similar last night. Shouder saves. Butterfly perfection. See anything in this video that reminds you of last night?

:D

It was originally the Aebischer farewell video.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Hmm, Koivu has lost a substantial chunk of speed and agility in the past 2-3 years. Just pick up a tape from back then and you'll see that he was much better at finding and exploiting openings back then. He might get his best season points-wise this year, but I think its more a testament to the overall better cast around him and "new NHL" than anything else. To his credit, he adapted his game and uses his shot more, however he kinda reminds me of Paul Kariya. Still a good offensive player, but years and injuries took away some of that extra edge.

Dandeneault's 2 penalties weren't bad. The first one was a joke and the second one was the proverbial "good" penalty where something dangerous was happening and he had to fix someone else's mistake. Otherwise he's probably our most reliable D at the moment.

Naaah, Komi's not our #2 D as we speak, he's still behind Souray & Rivet in the hierarchy... Though he'll slowly get there as he starts logging more ice-time riding shotgun with Markov.

If you said that little bit about Koivu last season, I would agree. So far this year, the man has been shooting the puck more often in the games that I've seen in a long time. He isn't doing anything stupid out there like he did occasionally last year, I think he will have a great year this year.

Give him some credit. He made a nice move and did beat Raycroft. Unfortunately, he just narrowly hit the post and it didn't go in.

That was a sick deke. Not too many guys around the league can hit the crossbar on a backhand from 3 feet in.

just checked tsn. Looks like we won by a shootout. lol, two shootouts in a row. Did we come from behind or let it slip away like last night?

Well, they let their initial one goal lead slip, but then they came from behind to tie the game at 2.

Anyways, all you have to do is look at the boxscore to figure that out...

I am sick and tried of guys puting Ryder down on this site, his one of our best players, he had 2 pst in the first game and won the game last night.. and most of all he looks better this year so far and he every did.. so all you highlight fans try watching a full game..for bang for our buck ryder been the best play player on the habs for the last few years..

I am sick and tried of guys puting Ryder down on this site, his one of our best players, he had 2 pst in the first game and won the game last night.. and most of all he looks better this year so far and he every did.. so all you highlight fans try watching a full game..for bang for our buck ryder been the best play player on the habs for the last few years..

I don't think anyone is dissing Ryder's play, but when you are 0 for like 5 on shootouts or whatever that stat is, maybe a one dimensional player like Ryder is not the first guy we'd like to see on the shootout list.

That being said, he is one of our best scorers, if not THE best scorer on our team, so I don't think people are dissing his PLAY, they just weren't happy to see him on the shootout ONLY because he is too predictable.

Since he scored, I'd personally be willing to give him more chances on the shootout, he deserves it.

I'd like to see Carbonneau give Samsonov a chance on the shootout. He has mad dangles.

Edited by habsfan88

Well well well... another fan who can't stand to hear anything negative about Ryder.

If you're sick and tired of guys putting Ryder down on this site, maybe its because you mistook HabsWorld for Ryder's fanclub. HW is to discuss Habs players; and yes, that includes talking about players flaws when they have some; and yes Ryder has some, just like every other Habs player.

Take the blinders off. No player is off limits to criticism. If you that makes you sick and tired, maybe you should seek a site that's more one-sided.

I think Ryder should be taken off the shootout list. To me he reminds me of a player who shouldn't be doing shootouts. He reminds me of a Defencemen doing a shootout. D-men don't do shootouts unless his last name is Orr.

So instead of

Saku

Kovy

Ryder

maybe replace ryder with higgins?

no?

Because if the first two games are any indications we're going to be in a lot of shootouts this year. And getting that extra point is crucial.

Ryder was number 4 last night and i think he can do well in shootouts once he realizes that his strength is shooting, not deking. Dags was very successful on the shootout because he can pick the corners and has a quick release. Same with Ryder.

Look at the Leaf goals, same thing. They guys come in fast and pick the top corner. Very difficult for the goalie to stop. The only guys who deke are those who can't shoot well. Koivu for example. However, deking is a lower percentage play for most of the guys in the NHL.

Kovy typically scores on the shootout, when he shoots. When he dekes he usually doesn't score.

I think the problem is that they are in the spotlight and guys who make the fancy deke end up on the highlight reels. Too many players like Ryder are trying to be too fancy. Same goes for Kovalev. Just shoot the damn puck. :)

I'd like to see Carbonneau give Samsonov a chance on the shootout. He has mad dangles.

Yeah, I'm just afraid that if we used him in a shootout, he would pass instead of shooting.

I think Ryder should be taken off the shootout list. To me he reminds me of a player who shouldn't be doing shootouts. He reminds me of a Defencemen doing a shootout. D-men don't do shootouts unless his last name is Orr.

So instead of

Saku

Kovy

Ryder

maybe replace ryder with higgins?

no?

Because if the first two games are any indications we're going to be in a lot of shootouts this year. And getting that extra point is crucial.

Well actually Higgins was one of the shooters last night. And he scored a beauty. Both teams had one goal in the first three attempts, so Ryder was our fourth guy, and he won it.

I'd actually want to see Perezhogin in the shootouts before Koivu or Samsonov. Zhog was pretty good in shootouts last year, he can pick the corners or deke. I think Plekanec would be good too. Anyone remembers the AHL All-Star skills competitions a few years ago? Plex had great moves.

So who were the shooters last night?

I know they keep going down the bench if the first three don't decide the game. But I want the best three first. thats all.

OK, all of this information is easily found on any good hockey site. It's really not that hard.

Higgins (goal), Koivu (lost the puck), Kovalev (post on deke), Ryder (goal).

So who were the shooters last night?

I know they keep going down the bench if the first three don't decide the game. But I want the best three first. thats all.

Koivu, Higgins, and Kovalev were the first three.

Sorry.

Round 1 - MTL - C. Higgins - Scores (1-0)

Round 1 - TOR - M. Sundin - Scores (1-1)

Round 2 - MTL - S. Koivu - No Goal (1-1)

Round 2 - TOR - K. Wellwood - No Goal (1-1)

Round 3 - MTL - A. Kovalev - No Goal (1-1)

Round 3 - TOR - D. Tucker - No Goal (1-1)

Round 4 - MTL - M. Ryder - Scores (2-1)

Round 4 - TOR - A. Ponikarovsky - No Goal (2-1)

Higgins

Saku

Kovalev

Ryder

Sorry.

Round 1 - MTL - C. Higgins - Scores (1-0)

Round 1 - TOR - M. Sundin - Scores (1-1)

Round 2 - MTL - S. Koivu - No Goal (1-1)

Round 2 - TOR - K. Wellwood - No Goal (1-1)

Round 3 - MTL - A. Kovalev - No Goal (1-1)

Round 3 - TOR - D. Tucker - No Goal (1-1)

Round 4 - MTL - M. Ryder - Scores (2-1)

Round 4 - TOR - A. Ponikarovsky - No Goal (2-1)

Higgins

Saku

Kovalev

Ryder

again, all this data was posted earlier in this very thread and is available elsewhere.