Why Do You Hate The Leafs?

classical

1) Their dirty players (ie. Tucker, McCabe, formerly Domi, etc.)

2) Sundin (he's Swedish)

3) The media coverage (they're not actually that great...)

4) THE FANS!

Even though I live out on the west coast, there's still an annoyingly high percentage of idiot Leaf fans (there's also the equally annoying Canuck fans, but I won't go there). Throughout my school years, everyone was a Leaf fan, aside from Vancouver's brief reign as a good team, so I was always harrassed for being a Habs fan...and because I was a lot smaller than everyone else. Then, all my parents' friends are Leaf fans too, so more harrassment from them, although my father always backs me up. However, the worst incident, and probably the most defining of pathetic Leaf crap, occurred in the summer of '05 when I was working at my dad's marine store. So I'm minding my own business stocking shelves when two thirty year-old red-necks walk into the store. They must have noticed the Habs cap I was wearing, so they came over and began taunting me about how much better the Leafs are than the Habs, etc, etc. Luckily they didn't get violent, but it was nonetheless an uncomfortable situation that perfectly displays Leaf fan ignorance.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under 30 and not a leafs fan.

It's the rivalry. I hate when the Leafs beat the Habs just as much as I love when the Habs win. It's the history of the two teams.

None of the players that plays today was around 1967, yet I think they all feel the tension. I guess the same things goes for fans.

And about Leafs fans in general... Their optimistics. The Leafs are great and the club never makes misstakes. All players are great and every year they are a contender.

Habs fans are the direct opposite: I think the Patrick Roy story tells it all...

But personly I disslike the Bruins just as much as the Leafs. That's only team that has played the Habs enough times in the playoffs to make an impact on me personly.

Well, I don't hate Toronto people, but when I was in Toronto (only one day) some years ago, it seems me a horribley city, nothing different than another USA city, it had the feeling that I wasn't in Canada.

When I was in Montréal or in Quebec, I feel like in Europe, specially for the people. When I was in Ottawa, well, 50% of that feeling, but in Toronto, I feel like in Oklahoma or Texas.

Excuse me for my poor english, but I think you know what I mean wirh my opinion about the difference between Toronto and Montréal

I remember last year, Toronto is playing Montreal at the Bell Centre. RDS interviews a group of Leaf fans.

Those fans said the Leafs will win the cup, that the Habs aren't worthy of being called the Canadiens because they're not in "Canada", etc. etc.

Montreal beats Toronto 6-1 and 6-2.

I remember last year, Toronto is playing Montreal at the Bell Centre. RDS interviews a group of Leaf fans.

Those fans said the Leafs will win the cup, that the Habs aren't worthy of being called the Canadiens because they're not in "Canada", etc. etc.

Montreal beats Toronto 6-1 and 6-2.

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Oh I just dropped my tea on the floor laughing at the stupidity of the leaf fan in your post!

In reality Torontonians are really trying to be too American. They are caught up in an identity crisis not feeling loved by fellow Canadiens or even the USA. All they can do is blame the French which is just a feeble attempt at trying to look important. For many on here, I aasumet we do not hate the hockey team, just the refuse called Leaf Fan.

It's okay, I only dislike Swedish hockey players. :king:

What for?!?!

Swedes have a great reputation. 20% of the captains in the NHL are Swedish. Peter Forsberg lower his salary just so the Avs can afford to keep Sakic. How can anybody hate swedish hockeyplayers?

What has Swedes ever done wrong? Just look at our own team. Mats Näslund? And latley we had Sundström and Dackell. Didn't they do their job?

It's not like they went skiing or took a trip to Paris...

1) the leafs suck

2) the leafs really suck

3) mats Sundin sucks

4) every toronto fan thinks every year that they have the best team in the leauge

4.2) every year Toronto fans go crazy at the end of the season when they find out that the leafs arent good enough to get into the playoffs

5) my dad and gramps have told me my whole life that they suck, so........ they must suck

6) terrible jersey (IMO)

7. Who the hell would want to be a leaf, ....A LEAF..... that fact that i can rip a leaf in half with my little toe is pathetic, at least a bruin is a bear!!!!!

8. the leafs suck :D

GO HABS :hlogo:

My main beef with the Leafs is the so called National media treating them as Canada's team. If Mats Sundin suffers a paper cut, John Lu is all over it off the top of Sportcentre. Meanwhile, the other five Canadian teams get a little blurb about them. If the Leafs are in Anahiem, TSN sends a reporter down there with them. If the Senators or Flames are there, no live report, no locker room interviews.

Hockey Night In Canada shows them every damn Saturday no matter what! They'll show a meaningless Leafs game over a Habs game with playoff significance. This is especially frustrating now that SRC has stopped showing Habs games.

*cough*MatsNäslund*cough*
What for?!?!

Swedes have a great reputation. 20% of the captains in the NHL are Swedish. Peter Forsberg lower his salary just so the Avs can afford to keep Sakic. How can anybody hate swedish hockeyplayers?

What has Swedes ever done wrong? Just look at our own team. Mats Näslund? And latley we had Sundström and Dackell. Didn't they do their job?

It's not like they went skiing or took a trip to Paris...

:blink:

Calm down! It's just a little joke in regards to the Finland/Sweden rivalry...

It isn't widely known, but I must tell my story.

They rowed to my town via longboat in 900 AD. They moored just off the coast, and quietly waded ashore.

They proceeded to tape and pillage the entire county, ensuring no sole was left untouched. Lives were lost, socks were found, and it was a horrible time for all.

I have never forgiven those Leafs, and I never will. The fact that their captain is a Viking really doesn't help in any way. The hate that boils within this kettle bubbles like lava. Or coca cola.

(PS spelling errors are intentional)

My main beef with the Leafs is the so called National media treating them as Canada's team. If Mats Sundin suffers a paper cut, John Lu is all over it off the top of Sportcentre. Meanwhile, the other five Canadian teams get a little blurb about them. If the Leafs are in Anahiem, TSN sends a reporter down there with them. If the Senators or Flames are there, no live report, no locker room interviews.

Hockey Night In Canada shows them every damn Saturday no matter what! They'll show a meaningless Leafs game over a Habs game with playoff significance. This is especially frustrating now that SRC has stopped showing Habs games.

You've just saved me a lot of typing. Plus the plural of Leaf is Leaves... LEAVES. As in the Leaves were crushed :king:

Reason #54954854 why I hate the Leafs - their nickname is grammatically incorrect. Everyone with a brain knows that it should be the Toronto Maple LEAVES.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

leaf

[...]

Main Entry: 1leaf

Pronunciation: 'lEf

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural leaves /'lEvz /; also leafs /'lEfs/

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English leef, from Old English lEaf; akin to Old High German loub leaf

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/leaf

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

leaf

[...]

Main Entry: 1leaf

Pronunciation: 'lEf

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural leaves /'lEvz /; also leafs /'lEfs/

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English leef, from Old English lEaf; akin to Old High German loub leaf

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/leaf

leafs lover

Just try living anywhere within a 4 hour drive (sometimes even 18, i.e., Northern ontario) of Toronto.

All Leafs, all the time in the papers, tv and radio shows and magazines, talking about:

- how players such as Domi, Belak, McCabe and Tucker are so unbelievably good

- the planning of the Cup route at the beginning of each

- how the CBC anouncers are not obvisouly pro-Leafs supporters

- and above all else, how to almost every fan (who is not a fan of hockey but rather a fan of the Maple Leafs) their beloved team can do no wrong

Oh God, do I hate the Leafs and their fans.....

Just try living anywhere within a 4 hour drive (sometimes even 18, i.e., Northern ontario) of Toronto.

All Leafs, all the time in the papers, tv and radio shows and magazines, talking about:

- how players such as Domi, Belak, McCabe and Tucker are so unbelievably good

- the planning of the Cup route at the beginning of each

- how the CBC anouncers are not obvisouly pro-Leafs supporters

- and above all else, how to almost every fan (who is not a fan of hockey but rather a fan of the Maple Leafs) their beloved team can do no wrong

Oh God, do I hate the Leafs and their fans.....

I hate it now when people say that all they hear about on TV and the radio...blah, blah, blah is Toronto, Toronto, Toronto. So turn it off and go to your computer. In seconds you can be on the internet and reading this forum or go half dozen other websites including newspapers like the Gazette, where you can find great information about the Habs, as well as talk to other fans with great thoughts and views about the team.

Yes the CBC is probably biased towards Toronto, exactly like RDS is biased towards Montreal yet nobody says anything about that, and thats not going to change till after next year when CTV outbids CBC for the rights to NHL broadcasting. But most likely nothing will change and it'll be all leafs all the time. And to boot they'll probably hire all the CBC staff that gets purged when that happens.

But I will agree with the living within the vicinity of Toronto. It is now easier to cross the border and drive through Upstate New York and pay their tolls than it is try and drive the QEW and 401 to get to Eastern Ontario and Quebec.

I hate it now when people say that all they hear about on TV and the radio...blah, blah, blah is Toronto, Toronto, Toronto. So turn it off and go to your computer. In seconds you can be on the internet and reading this forum or go half dozen other websites including newspapers like the Gazette, where you can find great information about the Habs, as well as talk to other fans with great thoughts and views about the team.

Yes the CBC is probably biased towards Toronto, exactly like RDS is biased towards Montreal yet nobody says anything about that, and thats not going to change till after next year when CTV outbids CBC for the rights to NHL broadcasting. But most likely nothing will change and it'll be all leafs all the time. And to boot they'll probably hire all the CBC staff that gets purged when that happens.

But I will agree with the living within the vicinity of Toronto. It is now easier to cross the border and drive through Upstate New York and pay their tolls than it is try and drive the QEW and 401 to get to Eastern Ontario and Quebec.

Kaos,

I was not complaining about the lack of coverage of other teams in the Toronto area besides the Leafs. I was complaining about the completely subjective and unrealistic journalism and opinions of the fans. I do use the internet to get Habs coverage, and I do listen to radio shows and TV shows on the Habs. That is why I know the Leafs coverage is so horendous compared to the Habs. That being sad, Montreal is almost the complete opposite in terms of fan opinions. It is like the Leafs are 'half full' types and the Habs' fans are 'half empty'.

Regarding the bias of the broadcasters, I was not specific enough. Obviously, RDS and regional coverage will be biased, but I meant to refer to national coverage, i.e., Harry Niel, Bob Cole, Don Cherry. I just think it is unproffessional for commentators to voice the opinions or to make the slanted comments that these people have made in a nationally televised event. It is also irresponsible for CBC to not address this problem and the voiced concern that has been put forth.

Edited by Gman

Kaos,

........... That being sad, Montreal is almost the complete opposite in terms of fan opinions. It is like the Leafs are 'half full' types and the Habs' fans are 'half empty'.

I completely disagree. Montreal Canadiens fans are the most demanding fans in Sports History (maybe the Yankee's are close) and rightly so. Habs fans demand a stanley cup every year, and are dissapointed more than most when it doesn't happen. Look at this forum. People on here are currently questioning whos the number 1 goalie, Kovalev's work ethic, whether Samsonov is worth it, trade Craig Rivet, Souray is a pylon and the usual trade Ryder now.... all this after 3 games. Its hard to say who's fans are more fickle because we all keep coming back year after year, but Toronto fans have definitley had it rougher, and for a longer time than us, THANKFULLY