Movies

habs_in_the_blood

That's something I don't get. Why would you want to see a film more than once at the cinema?

I agree. Big waste of money considering each time you watch a movie you get a bit less entertainment out of it (unless it's unbelievably good) but the price always remains the same.

I saw 1408, don't know if I posted it. So-so movie.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big waste of money

That is, of course, unless the theater that is less than a mile from your house charges $3.50 for matinees and for students. Shhh, don't tell anyone my student ID is over a year out of date, hehe. Even without it, it'd only be six bucks for night time showings. That's the greatness behind non-huge multiplexes. The huge 24-30 screen theaters charge almost twice that, and they're pulling in so many more customers per movie. It boggles my mind why someone would prefer to pay 10 bucks for a movie that's gonna be packed than go to a lesser hyped theater that is cheaper and won't be as crowded.

Big waste of money

That is, of course, unless the theater that is less than a mile from your house charges $3.50 for matinees and for students. Shhh, don't tell anyone my student ID is over a year out of date, hehe.

Right. But here movies cost 10 bucks each time you go. So no way will I ever spend 20-30$ to see the same movie again and again.

Right. But here movies cost 10 bucks each time you go. So no way will I ever spend 20-30$ to see the same movie again and again.

You're telling me there are no small theaters that don't charge as much as the big guys? Within ten miles of my house, there are 4 theaters that all charge different amounts. Ranging from the dollar theater that shows movies shortly before they go on DVD, to the theater I just mentioned, to one that charges about a dollar more than the one near me, to the big boy that charge the outrageous prices. I just find it hard to believe that no theaters up there run more cheaply than the expensive places.

Going to the movies here in Sweden is pretty expensive, at least by my standards.

I checked the prices of these movies at the website of the local cinema:

Simpsons (85 SEK)

Transformers (95 SEK)

Die Hard 4.0 (95 SEK)

Ocean's 13 (95 SEK)

Harry Potter (100 SEK adults, 80 SEK kids)

Spider-man 3 (100 SEK)

Pirates 3 (105 SEK)

According to the latest currency rates, $1 US = 6,65 SEK. So prices range from $12,75 for seeing the Simpsons to 15,75 for seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Usually DVD's cost 199 SEK (about 30 bucks).

You're telling me there are no small theaters that don't charge as much as the big guys? Within ten miles of my house, there are 4 theaters that all charge different amounts. Ranging from the dollar theater that shows movies shortly before they go on DVD, to the theater I just mentioned, to one that charges about a dollar more than the one near me, to the big boy that charge the outrageous prices. I just find it hard to believe that no theaters up there run more cheaply than the expensive places.

In my city there are none but there must be some in neighbouring cities. I know of one dollar cinema that's about a 20-minute drive away but they have very little selection, the atmosphere sucks and you have to watch the movies 2 months after everybody else has already seen it. When it comes to a movie like Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean, you've gotta watch it ASAP so you can discuss it with everyone else.

I know of one dollar cinema that's about a 20-minute drive away but they have very little selection, the atmosphere sucks and you have to watch the movies 2 months after everybody else has already seen it. When it comes to a movie like Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean, you've gotta watch it ASAP so you can discuss it with everyone else.

Which is the perfect place to watch a movie a second time, hehe. Also, it's a perfect place for those movies that you think you might want to see, but also think it might really suck. Back when I was a kid and didn't know when movies actually came out, the dollar theater was the only place we went. My parents saved money and I couldn't care less that I had waited a few months to see it, even if I did know I was waiting.

As for atmosphere, how is one theater really that much different from another? As long as there is a screen and surround sound, the viewing experience is pretty much the same. That's where I ended up seeing National Treasure. Didn't think I'd like it but was willing to see it for a buck, and ended up loving it.

Well less fancy, worse seats, you're the only one in the building, place isn't clean, etc...

What you said is kind of like saying there's no point going to a fancy hotel when you can get a cheap motel room - it has a bed and a bathroom, that's all you need.

you're the only one in the building

I love being the only ones in the theater. You don't have to put up with all the other idiots saying crap during the movie, cell phones going off, etc.

What you said is kind of like saying there's no point going to a fancy hotel when you can get a cheap motel room - it has a bed and a bathroom, that's all you need.

Exactly. Why pay for extravagance when all you need is a bed, bathroom, and basic cable?

That's something I don't get. Why would you want to see a film more than once at the cinema?

Thats something I don't get either. Why comment on something as simple as that which has no bearing on you whatsoever?

I said it was really high up there, should've understandable from there on in. I guess it's different in Sweden.

Specially Transformers?!?!

What ######ing difference does it make what movie it is? Jesus Christ, I said it's a top 3 all-time movie for me.

I thought humans had brains.

#1. You enjoyed the movie so much you can't wait for DVD.

#2. Movies are better in a theater than they are at home.

#3. Two different groups of friends go at different times, you want to hang out with both and enjoyed the movie well enough the first time to go again, rather than arguing about what to see.

#4. You go see the movie with friends. A parent wants to see the movie but the spouse doesn't want to go, so you volunteer to spend some quality time at the movies with a parent.

Oh phew, I though human knowledge was dissapearing. Thanks for restoring a little faith, Fanpuck. :)

I agree. Big waste of money considering each time you watch a movie you get a bit less entertainment out of it (unless it's unbelievably good) but the price always remains the same.

Funny because I enjoyed it more the second time then the first time. The price doesn't bother me. You guys make it sound like 10 bucks is financially crippling.

I'm also intentionally coming off as an asshole because

1) The mini debate I started kinda ticked me off. The phrase "Mind your own business" comes to mind.

2) I'm just in a bad ######ing mood.

Specially Transformers?!?!

What ######ing difference does it make what movie it is? Jesus Christ, I said it's a top 3 all-time movie for me.

I thought humans had brains.

lol calm down dude! I personnaly think Transformers sucks from A to Z but if it's in your top 3, then good for you.

Actually, the only movies i saw 2 times in cinema are the 3 LOTR (with two differents bunch of friends each time) and Toy Story back in the days, when we missed our movie and my friends did not see it.

I think it's better to wait till the movie come out in video than go again in theatre. It seems that it is always better when you wait a long time for something...except having sex...

Funny because I enjoyed it more the second time then the first time. The price doesn't bother me. You guys make it sound like 10 bucks is financially crippling.

I agree, a lot of movies are better the second time around. Star Trek Nemesis is one. First time I saw it with a friend I was expecting it to reinvigorate the Star Trek franchise and be awesome. I was thoroughly disappointed. I went to see it again with my Mom and I liked it a lot better, because I wasn't feeling let down the entire time. At World's End was better the second time too. The second time I wasn't having to figure out who was double-crossing whom and whatnot, so I was able to more fully enjoy the movie itself.

That being said, if I was having to pay 10 bucks to see a movie a second time, I very likely wouldn't do it.

I think it's better to wait till the movie come out in video than go again in theatre. It seems that it is always better when you wait a long time for something...except having sex...

Maybe if you have a 50 foot screen and an amazing surround sound system. :wacko: Plus, in my case, as long as I go to a matinee, use my old student ID, or go to the dollar theater, it's cheaper to see it in the theater (a buck to three fifty) than it is to rent (4 bucks).

I agree, a lot of movies are better the second time around. Star Trek Nemesis is one. First time I saw it with a friend I was expecting it to reinvigorate the Star Trek franchise and be awesome. I was thoroughly disappointed. I went to see it again with my Mom and I liked it a lot better, because I wasn't feeling let down the entire time. At World's End was better the second time too. The second time I wasn't having to figure out who was double-crossing whom and whatnot, so I was able to more fully enjoy the movie itself.

That being said, if I was having to pay 10 bucks to see a movie a second time, I very likely wouldn't do it.

Maybe if you have a 50 foot screen and an amazing surround sound system. :wacko: Plus, in my case, as long as I go to a matinee, use my old student ID, or go to the dollar theater, it's cheaper to see it in the theater (a buck to three fifty) than it is to rent (4 bucks).

I usually buy movies i liked it so much than i can't wait to see again...

[lol calm down dude! I personnaly think Transformers sucks from A to Z but if it's in your top 3, then good for you.

Thats my point though, whats the point? Someone mentions they like something and your first though is "I BETTER TELL THEM I THINK IT SUCKS!"

Wheres the accomplishment? Theres a lot of arguing for the sake of arguing around here lately, it's getting pathetic. Thats just one example I noted, I'm actually pissed about a lot more on a larger scale.

Yeah, thats why I enjoy watching movies over and over. Once you've been able to take in the overall story, you start to notice all the little things they included. With Transformers, I thought they copped out and just had them fighting in New York City like they seem to do in a lot of movies. But I actually caught the Mission City reference, very nice. Other directors should catch up on that, references like that. Obviously not hard to do and they still get ignored a lot.

ISN'T THAT RIGHT, SAM RAIMI!?

I usually buy movies i liked it so much than i can't wait to see again...

So do I. However thats that little 4-5 month wait for them to actually come out.

Lets see, I really want to see a movie again, I can either.

1) Take the 15 minute walk back up to the theater and watch it.

2) Try to suppress that feeling on anticipation of watching it again for 5 months when I'm 10 bucks and 15 minutes away from seeing it that very second.

3) Wait 2 months for the dollar theater on the other side of the city to get it so I can take the 2.5 hour bus ride there, watch it and take the 2.5 hour bus ride back. A friggin day trip for a movie is always nice.

They charge different amounts for different movies? And 30 bucks for a DVD, good grief! I guy whole seasons of Scrubs for 20!

That's the new release DVD's. Older ones are cheaper. Special editions and boxes are more expensive.

To anyone who has seen Memento:

What are your theories on the movie. Was Teddy telling the truth at the end? Was Sammy really a faker? Is Lenny really Sammy?

I read this yesterday. VERY interesting theory on 5 pages. http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/featur...ysis/index.html

Excellent article. Very well written. Thanks for posting it! :)

Thats something I don't get either. Why comment on something as simple as that which has no bearing on you whatsoever?

I said it was really high up there, should've understandable from there on in. I guess it's different in Sweden.

What? It's a foreign concept to me (no pun intended). You can't ask questions anymore?

[lol calm down dude! I personnaly think Transformers sucks from A to Z but if it's in your top 3, then good for you.

Thats my point though, whats the point? Someone mentions they like something and your first though is "I BETTER TELL THEM I THINK IT SUCKS!"

ok just to close that arguing thing : just watch the posts 795 to 798. You can see that you're the one who gave the first shot at those who think Transformers sucks... Being one of those, i just get back with my tinny, little "Specially Transformers" post. It would have been fine to stay there, tie game. Don't want to be fighting about Micheal Bay's movies.

You're welcome Doctor Kosmos, what about the text? I personnaly read it 2 or 3 times and think i'ma go rent or buy Memento in a very few days and verify what the guy says in there. This theroy is from far the most intelligent and possible i've ever heard.

Yeah, I have it on DVD that I have recorded from television. I'd love to watch the film in the correct chronological order. But I don't know if I'm willing to buy the DVD - I like the movie but I'm not sure I like it so much that I'd pay full price for a DVD with a movie I already have. If I can find one cheap it'd be a lock though. I'll try to remember to check at the video rental store next time I go there (although I don't go there very often so I'll probably forget by the time I eventualy get there).

I thought the theory was good. Most of all I too believe in what the writer said about there being an answer; I'm not so sure even Nolan, the director, knows. I'm not sure we, the viewers, are meant to know. I have read a little about postmodernist literature, and this movie, as far as I can tell, fits some of the descriptions of what constitutes a postmodern book. More questions than answers for example. Red herrings. What is real and what is not real. Identities - are they real or not? Stuff like that.

I think that's a risk you take when you make a movie or write a book in which you leave the viewer/reader hanging, in which you don't supply the solution at the end. In this particular case Nolan gets away with it because the movie really is a piece of brilliantly crafted film. The writer also mentioned The Usual Suspects and today I watched another movie in pretty much the same vein, namely Slow Burn, and it was not even nearly as good as the aforementioned movies. If you do it well it can be great, if you don't do it right, it'll suck.

I'll try to watch Slow Burn asap.

Anyone is a fan of B movies aside of me? I suggest you Dirty Deeds, a movie from Australia where Bryan Brown is wonderfull! But... who the heck is Bryan Brown ???

Edited by JoeLassister

The donkey thing? You're using THAT as an example?

You really haven't seen me post around that much then if you took it seriously. BTH didn't even reply to it. Christ, I use that with my friends all the time, haha.

But if you want to be technical, his friend saying it sucked was the first shot. Comment served zero purpose and I have nothing to reply to if he keeps it to himself. After that I have it re-iterated to me while also being told I'm out of my mind to go back to the theater for a movie.

damn jets, these are discussion boards and this topic is about movies, and your crucifying people for giving their opinions.

Chill out.

My brother rented Born on the 4th of July, not sure if im gonna watch it though, anyone seen it?

Opinions? Really?

All I saw was people telling me I'm crazy and what I do is stupid and a waste of time. Theres a discussion and then theres things you can keep to yourself. The Internet is filled with the latter.

I apologize for defending myself, it was silly of me to do so.