Movies

habs_in_the_blood

Going to see Knocked Up tonight. :D

Very funny movie. I'd say better than 40 Year Old Virgin and maybe Wedding Crashers.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very funny movie. I'd say better than 40 Year Old Virgin and maybe Wedding Crashers.

wedding crashers sucked. 40 year old virgin was quite funny.

wedding crashers sucked. 40 year old virgin was quite funny.

Yeah, I didn't see the fuss with Wedding Crashers either. 40 Year Old Virgin is hilarious though, Paul Rudd rules.

"How do I know you're gay? You like Coldplay!"

:lol:

On the matter of films I've seen again that did not seem as good now as they did when I first saw them: Reservoir Dogs. I think Michael Madsen stinks. The only things I like in it anymore is Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi to a certain extent, and the fact that Tarantino himself gets wacked. Two words: over rated.

On the matter of films I've seen again that did not seem as good now as they did when I first saw them: Reservoir Dogs. I think Michael Madsen stinks. The only things I like in it anymore is Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi to a certain extent, and the fact that Tarantino himself gets wacked. Two words: over rated.

Damn! I couldn't disagree with anybody than with you on this statement. Tarantino is my best director from a mile away.

The greatest director of all time debate is pretty much a two horse race between Spielberg and Kubrick. Oh, and I guess Akira Kurosawa though I've never seen any of his movies.

Damn! I couldn't disagree with anybody than with you on this statement. Tarantino is my best director from a mile away.

I've yet to see a Tarantino movie that I would see a second time.

lol

Kubrick maybe but not Spielberg.

I'll take a Spielberg film over a Kubrick every day of the week.

I've yet to see a Tarantino movie that I would see a second time.

I'll take a Spielberg film over a Kubrick every day of the week.

I think Tarantino or Kubrik could easily make a Spieldberg movie anytime while Spieldberg wouldn't be able to make a Tarrantino or Kubrik movie.

lol

Kubrick maybe but not Spielberg.

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about? Spielberg wins this debate 9 times out of 10 just because of quantity. He's made so many hits and succeeded with so many types of different movies except he's made some bad movies too. Kubrick seems to save up and then every 5 years releases a masterpiece. Thing is that Kubrick's movies only seem to appeal to big movie connoisseurs wh ocan really appreciate them since they tend to be boring. He's probably the best director of all time but saying Spielberg doesn't have a chance?

Schindler's List, The Color Purple, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, the Band of Brothers series, Letters from Iwo Jima, Empire of the Sun, Catch Me If You Can and then a hell of a lot of blockbuster franchises such as Jaws, Indiana Jones, ET, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, Zorro and now Transformers. He's also made some other good movies like the Terminal, Arachnophobia, Minority Report, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Flags of our Fathers, Disturbia, etc. He just releases hit after hit after hit and is without a doubt the most succesful and possibly influential man who's ever been involved with film, though not necessarily the best since he's produced and directed far more movies than Kubrick and many others can ever dream of, so many of them were flops.

Remains that almost any big directors could make a movie à la Spieldberg and Kubrik and Tarrantino have their own style. You can recognize them without even know they made the movie. But you just can't recognize Spieldberg over the others.

But Schindler's List, Memoirs of a Geisha, , Empire of the Sun, Catch Me If You Can Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, the Terminal, Arachnophobia, Minority Report are all great movies, i give it to you.

Yeah, I mean aside for Schindler's List I'm not sure Spielberg has ever really made a masterpiece or a classic. But you can bet that Spielberg will be remembered long after he's gone unlike the Godards and Fellinis who are slowly being forgotten. Spielberg is awesome simply because he has made a great movie more times than anyone else ever has. The drawback is that his best don't match up to the opposition's best.

Yeah, I mean aside for Schindler's List I'm not sure Spielberg has ever really made a masterpiece or a classic. But you can bet that Spielberg will be remembered long after he's gone unlike the Godards and Fellinis who are slowly being forgotten. Spielberg is awesome simply because he has made a great movie more times than anyone else ever has. The drawback is that his best don't match up to the opposition's best.

He also royally screwed up AI. which would have been a much better movie if he'd not given in to his sentimental vein. Besides, it probably would have been a much better movie if Kubrick had been able to do it before he died.

I suppose many of you will dislike me for saying so, but Tarantino isn't that high on my list. My problem with him is he only knows one thing: cool. Diversity isn't his strong point. Also, he's not as original as some seem to think: he basically steals everything. I like some of his movies very much, and others hardly at all.

The thing is, and we've debated this over and over before, you have to distinguish between who you subjectively like and who is objectively good. On the very top of my favorite directors are such names as Kurosawa, Sergio Leone and Terry Gilliam. I think I could argue that Kurosawa is objectively speaking one of the best and most influential directors of all time - I'm not a 100% sure I could argue the same for the other two. Not that I care, I don't like Leone's or Gilliam's movies any less because of that, but I realize there might be a difference, if you know what I mean.

Remains that almost any big directors could make a movie à la Spieldberg and Kubrik and Tarrantino have their own style. You can recognize them without even know they made the movie.
That's a very good point.

ADD: Oh and BTW, I'd take Kubrick over Spielberg's entire catalogue for Dr. Strangelove alone.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Do you have any idea of what you're talking about? Spielberg wins this debate 9 times out of 10 just because of quantity. He's made so many hits and succeeded with so many types of different movies except he's made some bad movies too. Kubrick seems to save up and then every 5 years releases a masterpiece. Thing is that Kubrick's movies only seem to appeal to big movie connoisseurs wh ocan really appreciate them since they tend to be boring. He's probably the best director of all time but saying Spielberg doesn't have a chance?

Schindler's List, The Color Purple, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, the Band of Brothers series, Letters from Iwo Jima, Empire of the Sun, Catch Me If You Can and then a hell of a lot of blockbuster franchises such as Jaws, Indiana Jones, ET, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, Zorro and now Transformers. He's also made some other good movies like the Terminal, Arachnophobia, Minority Report, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Flags of our Fathers, Disturbia, etc. He just releases hit after hit after hit and is without a doubt the most succesful and possibly influential man who's ever been involved with film, though not necessarily the best since he's produced and directed far more movies than Kubrick and many others can ever dream of, so many of them were flops.

You are thinking of blockbusters summer movies. To me that's not art. Out of all the fluff here's the movies of his that aren't fluff Munich, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List. Close Encounters.

Your thinking of summer blockbusters. If we go by those movies then yes he is good, but they're popcorn films.

Spielberg will be remembered long after he's gone unlike the Godards and Fellinis who are slowly being forgotten.

:lol: That's the greatest quote ever. Yeah um okay, what ever you want to think.

Oh and how could I have missed Luis Buñuel.

I'm sorry BTH but the classic directors will live forever, they will be studied by up and coming directors who will take their cues and ideas from the classics and not the Spielberg's. Anybody can make 300 million dollar production movies now with cgi and action. Look at Michael Bay. :puke:

Film students don't study Spielberg.

You are thinking of blockbusters summer movies. To me that's not art. Out of all the fluff here's the movies of his that aren't fluff Munich, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List. Close Encounters.

Come on, how about Jaws and Indiana Jones? Those are big parts of American culture. Plus, I don't give a crap if a movie is artistic. I watch movies to be entertained. If a movie entertains me, I could care less if it is some kind of artistic masterpiece.

Come on, how about Jaws and Indiana Jones? Those are big parts of American culture. Plus, I don't give a crap if a movie is artistic. I watch movies to be entertained. If a movie entertains me, I could care less if it is some kind of artistic masterpiece.

no offense but that's the typical mind of a blockbuster viewer. Jones and Jaws were awesome but I left them off from what they started. The summer blockbuster.

no offense but that's the typical mind of a blockbuster viewer. Jones and Jaws were awesome but I left them off from what they started. The summer blockbuster.

And what's wrong with summer blockbusters? They're entertaining.

But they aren't artistic or put it in better terms they're not movies to to study and usually are not ground breaking.

I'd counter this but I'm tired.

I know it can easily be countered though so start preparing your rebuttle.

But they aren't artistic or put it in better terms they're not movies to to study and usually are not ground breaking.

You honestly think people make movies to send a message? Very very few directors do that. These guys make movies to make a living - it's their job. Their goal is to make as much money as possible and no one's done that better than Spielberg. And it's not like Spielberg hasn't proven himself with serious movies.

My problem with many summer blockbusters, is that while they may be entertaining, they have no replay value and dont make you think. I guess im different in that my favourite movies arent always the most entertaining, but the ones that move you and make you think about the movie long after you've left the theatre.

Best example was 2001. I can't say i enjoyed it the first time through, but the first thing i wanted to do was find out more about it and watch it again. I saw it 2 or 3 more times before i considered it to be a great movie.

A movie like Jaws, well i was entertained, but i dont think ive watched it all the way through a second time, because whats the point?