Deja Vu: really liked it

The Prestige: thought it was ok

Apocalypto: not so good

Dorm Daze 2: lame, even for a National Lampoon movie

Pucked: kinda funny, not bad for a National Lampoon movie

Lady in the Water: thought it was ok

Movies I've seen in the last week:

Pucked: kinda funny, not bad for a National Lampoon movie

Man i had to shut that one off. Maybe it picked up in the end?

Ive seen Knocked up (Hilarious, not as funny as Wedding Crashers or Borat for me though, but probably the 3rd best comedy in recent years), Blood Diamond (already said, it probably makes my top 10) Van Wilder (not great).

Skipped Oceans 13, POTC 3 and Shrek 3, ill get em on video. Looking forward to Evan Almighty though.

I watched Blood Diamond and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today. Blood Diamond was awesome and I can see it eing a lot of people's favourite movie, but it wasn't really one of my top 10 favourites. Charlie was awful except about na hour in I began to love it because I realized it wasn't meant to be a masterpiece. I really enjoyed that one, I'm just not sure whether Johnny Depp's monotone is bad acting or what he was instructed to do.

And yeah, Jets, a short story is what I meant. I'm sure you still knew what I meant. Nice reply though.

Just got done with The Two Towers and I'm still not enthralled by the series. Obviously very good production and stunning cinematics, but I still don't see all the fuss. I don't see anything in it that would make it an Academy Award winner. Then again, I think a lot of movies nominated for best picture aren't even worth watching a second time.

Ive seen Knocked up (Hilarious, not as funny as Wedding Crashers

Funny. I heard someone talking about how funny it was the other day and then another guy in the conversation said "It couldn't have been better than Wedding Crashers though" and then he told about it made Wedding Crashers look like crap and it was the funniest movie he's ever seen and blah blah blah.

Man i had to shut that one off. Maybe it picked up in the end?

It was like a kids movie with hot chicks. A bit funny, simple, predictable ending. Wasn't anything great, but it was more than watchable. It's something I'd watch again if it was on and I was bored. Some other National Lampoon movies, well, I'd rather stare at a blank TV for an hour and a half.

Something that hurts LOTR in my opinion is the music. I don't think it's that great. Great movies tend to have great music. Music that you hum on the way out of the theater as you think of your favorite scenes. Music that feeds the epic nature of the story. I just don't get that feeling from the LOTR music. An hour later and I can't hum a single bar. Nothing sticks out.

Something that hurts LOTR in my opinion is the music. I don't think it's that great. Great movies tend to have great music. Music that you hum on the way out of the theater as you think of your favorite scenes. Music that feeds the epic nature of the story. I just don't get that feeling from the LOTR music. An hour later and I can't hum a single bar. Nothing sticks out.

It's usually only action movies that have catchy music for their battle scenes. Also, I'm pretty sure Return of the King won the Oscar for having the best song.

You've got to be kidding. LOTR musical score is one of the greatest scores in a very long time.

It's usually only action movies that have catchy music for their battle scenes. Also, I'm pretty sure Return of the King won the Oscar for having the best song.

And LOTR aren't action movies? Anyways, that just blows my mind that these movies were praised for their music. The music doesn't even begin to capture the epic nature these movies are supposed to have. I mean, the music doesn't even compare to that of Star Wars, some Star Treks, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Braveheart, and so many other great movies. I have no idea how these movies earn nomination for music, but Revenge of the Sith wasn't nominated. The score for that movie rivaled the original Star Wars score, which AFI rated the best of all time. None of the music from LOTR stands out as memorable to me. After watching two of them in a 24 hour span, I couldn't even him a single bar an hour after watching one.

The one song LOTR stole from Requiem For A Dream, I swear, I've listened to that song a billion times. Really, the whole Two Towers soundtrack, I listened to non-stop in Grade 11. Bloody fantastic, it was.

Fanny, I wouldn't really call LOTR action movies. They have action in them but they're fantasy movies/books or you can call them adventure. They have more substance than most action movies and also less action than most action movies. There is really more journeying than there is fighting.

Fanny, I wouldn't really call LOTR action movies. They have action in them but they're fantasy movies/books or you can call them adventure. They have more substance than most action movies and also less action than most action movies. There is really more journeying than there is fighting.

Those are more broad. A fantasy movie can be drama, comedy, action, etc. LOTR falls into action fantasy. There is some drama, virtually no humor, and lots of action. All of the movies I listed are considered action movies, but have more substance than the typical action flick. All had music that really stood out. For me, nothing has stood out in LOTR.

I don't really like fantasy, so I'm sure that plays a role in my opinion of the movies. I love science fiction, but for some reason never got into fantasy. Then again, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is also fantasy and I really enjoyed that movie.

P.S. Good Lord! I thought the one ones I am watching were the extended editions! They easily could have cut out quite a bit from each movie without losing anything. For example, the last twenty minutes of Return of the King could have easily been done without.

And now I watched The Departed which is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. Maybe Top 10. Blood Diamond was somewhere between 10-15 but I've never actually ranked that low. I'll watch the Prestige later tonight.

Those are more broad. A fantasy movie can be drama, comedy, action, etc. LOTR falls into action fantasy. There is some drama, virtually no humor, and lots of action. All of the movies I listed are considered action movies, but have more substance than the typical action flick. All had music that really stood out. For me, nothing has stood out in LOTR.

I don't really like fantasy, so I'm sure that plays a role in my opinion of the movies. I love science fiction, but for some reason never got into fantasy. Then again, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is also fantasy and I really enjoyed that movie.

P.S. Good Lord! I thought the one ones I am watching were the extended editions! They easily could have cut out quite a bit from each movie without losing anything. For example, the last twenty minutes of Return of the King could have easily been done without.

Mmhmm, that could be. I really enjoyed the LOTR movies, but I'm a huge fantasy fanboy. I don't know what you meant about the music being bad though. I really love the soundtracks from all three and there's lots of catchy beats. I will agree with you about Return of the King though, it was one of those movies where I thought it ended about five times before it actually did.

Mmhmm, that could be. I really enjoyed the LOTR movies, but I'm a huge fantasy fanboy. I don't know what you meant about the music being bad though. I really love the soundtracks from all three and there's lots of catchy beats. I will agree with you about Return of the King though, it was one of those movies where I thought it ended about five times before it actually did.

I didn't mean to say the music was bad, just that it wasn't as good as I would have expected. I think one reason is that it wasn't that loud. Usually on DVDs the music is way loud and the voices can't be heard, this was almost the other way around. It just didn't come across as very powerful or epic as the story itself. The music was certainly beautiful, just not what I expected.

I also don't mean to say that I think the three movies were bad. I think they were good, especially Return of the King. I just don't see anything that made all three nominees for best picture. That being said, I don't like the vast majority of movies nominated for best movie. Most either don't appeal at all to me or were awful in my opinion. I'd say that on average I'll like one nominee every other year.

And now I watched The Departed which is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. Maybe Top 10. Blood Diamond was somewhere between 10-15 but I've never actually ranked that low. I'll watch the Prestige later tonight.

I rented The Black Dahlia and The Departed today. I will watch Departed tonight. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Infernal Affairs.

I just finished watching Dahlia. Some random thoughts: It was pretty good but far from great. I haven't read James Ellroy's novel - will do that later this summer. L.A. Confidential was a way better adaptation (although the book was superior, if that needs being said). It felt like Dahlia missed something, I don't know what. Scarlett Johansson is cute but I think she's a bit overrated. I think it's her lips that I don't dig.

My two cents on the LOTR trilogy. I think the music was excellent. I thought the movies were pretty good visualizations of Tolkien's book, which I am a big fan of BTW. That's the thing I was most anxious about, how Jackson would visualize the characters, the creatues, the settings and so forth. I think he did an excellent job with that. Personally I think using so many scale models helped out considerably. CGI can be a two-edge sword. If you do it wrong it looks real tacky (which I thought was the case with Star Wars - The Phantom Menace and Spiderman).

The reason why it feels like there are so many endings in Return of the King might be because there are a lot of separate subplots that come to an end. I can neither condone it nor criticize it - it's just the way it is. The books are, what, some 1200 pages alltogether. I think it'd be hard to end it any other way.

My personal favorite in the trilogy is definitely The Fellowship of the Ring. The feeling of entering that other world, the world of Middle Earth, lost it's magic in the second and third parts. I was especially impressed with the scene with the balrog, that was perhaps the highlight for me. I'm a bit indifferent about the hobbits, but I really liked the other main characters; Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli grew as the trilogy progressed - and I really liked Sean Bean (Boromir) and Christopher Lee (Saruman). The orcs and trolls and such were magnificently done - mad props to the props department. ;)

The smartest thing Jackson did, aside from good casting and not relying solely on CGI, was bringing in John Howe and Alan Lee as conceptual artists. I believe in the age of the Internet, most Tolkien fans are familiar with their work. The movies wouldn't have been the same without Lee and Howe.

I watched the Prestige last night and I liked it but I'm not sure I completely understood the ending. I was always told it was a huge twist but I suspect there was more than

just that Borden had a double and was sharing a life with that man.

I feel like there was somehting else to it that I didn't understand. Can someone explain it?

Any minute I will finally watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels with my friend.

I watched the Prestige last night and I liked it but I'm not sure I completely understood the ending. I was always told it was a huge twist but I suspect there was more than

just that Borden had a double and was sharing a life with that man.

I feel like there was somehting else to it that I didn't understand. Can someone explain it?

I think the twin brother was supposed to be the shocker. The thing that confused me was the very last scene, with a Hugh Jackman body in the tank. The original guy was the one who was murdered and buried, then a clone was shot by the twin. Each night they disposed of the clones. So where did this third body come from?

I think the twin brother was supposed to be the shocker. The thing that confused me was the very last scene, with a Hugh Jackman body in the tank. The original guy was the one who was murdered and buried, then a clone was shot by the twin. Each night they disposed of the clones. So where did this third body come from?

You just taught me a lot right there. I thought there were just 2 guys all along. I didn't know it was cloning him. So the one that drowned in the tank was the original?

And what about Borgen? Was it the twin brother that was hanged and then the original shot Angier? Whatever Angier it was...

You just taught me a lot right there. I thought there were just 2 guys all along. I didn't know it was cloning him. So the one that drowned in the tank was the original?

And what about Borgen? Was it the twin brother that was hanged and then the original shot Angier? Whatever Angier it was...

As far as I can tell, yes, the one who drowned was the original. They never come right out and say he was cloning himself, but they show it when Tesla tries the machine on the cat. The cat runs out and finds another identical cat, along with tons of copies of the hat they had been testing the machine on. That's how the trick worked. The machine cloned him and had a breakaway floor. The real guy fell through the hole and the clone appeared up in the audience. It's also why he got blind assistants and didn't want his partner below stage: each night he loaded the clone in a large box and disposed of it. He didn't want anyone to know he was cloning himself and then disposing of the clones.

As for the other magician, I don't think either one was really the original. I think they'd been teaming up all along, which is why he knew the Chinese magician's secret, because he was also faking much of his own life.