Movies

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best example was 2001. I can't say i enjoyed it the first time through, but the first thing i wanted to do was find out more about it and watch it again. I saw it 2 or 3 more times before i considered it to be a great movie.

Yeah, the problem with a movie like that is you have to be able to stand it after the first time. You'd have to pay me to watch that movie again.

Yeah, the problem with a movie like that is you have to be able to stand it after the first time. You'd have to pay me to watch that movie again.

Same for me, but for Jaws and Indiana jones...

GM hopes Transformers will transform sales

Posters outside theaters across the country list Jon Voight, Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel and Megan Fox as the stars of the summer action flick "Transformers."

But in the labs and cubicles where General Motors Corp. workers design and market new cars, the true leads are the Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Solstice, GMC TopKick and Hummer H2.

:lool:

:lool:

*spits out water in laughter*

Detroit never ceases to amaze me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070702/ap_en_..._s_transformers

Edited by Pierre the Great

I was a little grossed out about the second movie. But I LOVED the 3rd. Connery rules plus they were able to use cgi for the first time and did it really well.

Yeah, I will agree the whole ripping out the heart thing was pretty gross. They've done that in two movies I've seen this month, Apocalypto and Last of the Mohicans.

My favorites, in no order:

Star Wars trilogies

Star Trek IV and First Contact

The first three Tom Clancy movies (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger)

Braveheart

Rudy

Remember the Titans

Field of Dreams

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Backdraft

Bridge on the River Kwai

Rudy

National Treasure

The Green Mile

Hitch

Signs

Already found three to add.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I don't like your taste Fanpuck! Aside for Pirates 1, I usually prefer more artistic movies (yet not artistic to the point of boring).

:o I've never come across anyone who disliked Indiana Jones, let alone enough to not watch it again.

once it's good, two is too much... Harrisson Ford is overrated.

I don't like your taste Fanpuck! Aside for Pirates 1, I usually prefer more artistic movies (yet not artistic to the point of boring).

I see no art at all in the so-called artistic movies. I see no art in Tarantino's gory violence. I see no art in Kubrick's whacked out movies. Kill Bill, From Dusk Till Dawn, and A Clockwork Orange are among the few movies which I'd rather watch grass grow for two hours. Every time I even hear those movie titles I yearn to have those hours back so I can do something useful with them. Training Day was another of my list of worst movies.

I take that back, From Dusk Till Dawn wasn't a total waste, Selma Hayek was HOT in that. But the movie itself was completely and totally lame.

once it's good, two is too much... Harrisson Ford is overrated.

I've yet to see a Harrison Ford movie I haven't liked. That reminds me, Air Force One was awesome.

I see no art at all in the so-called artistic movies. I see no art in Tarantino's gory violence. I see no art in Kubrick's whacked out movies. Kill Bill, From Dusk Till Dawn, and A Clockwork Orange are among the few movies which I'd rather watch grass grow for two hours. Every time I even hear those movie titles I yearn to have those hours back so I can do something useful with them. Training Day was another of my list of worst movies.

I take that back, From Dusk Till Dawn wasn't a total waste, Selma Hayek was HOT in that. But the movie itself was completely and totally lame.

I'll tell you then just with From Dusk till Dawn. When you make a movie like that, you have what we call an artistic step (démarche artistique). for example in FDTD, this step is to blow away the whole movie by introducing a vampire concept without any warning after 45 minutes where they were building Tarantino and Clooney characters. It is a thing Rodriguez and Tarrantino made and you won't see that anywhere else...

Some others artistic steps (or initiatives) : playing with the chronology (Memento, Run Lola Run... movies you would put in your "wasting time list"...), mixing colours/blackandwhite/animation/etc (Kill Bill), puting a strange character in the real world (Edwards Scissorshands).... so many others things to include in a movie other than action and some jokes (Indiana Jones)

I've yet to see a Harrison Ford movie I haven't liked. That reminds me, Air Force One was awesome.

My point exactly, OVERRATED.

Complete opposite of me. Indiana Jones and Jaws are fun, but i dont see the point in watching them multiple times.

You really havent seen a Ford movie you didnt like? Air Force One was okay, What Lies Beneath was kinda lame, ive never been overly impressed with anything he's done to be honest. Certainly a good blockbuster-type actor, but nothing really memorable.

Well I've never seen any of those movies so they weren't the ones I'm speaking of. But maybe artistic is the wrong word - just I like dramas like The Green Mile, the Breakfast Club, Finding Neverland, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Little Miss Sunshine, The Usual Suspects, Se7en, etc... these are not action movies or violent movies (aside for Se7en) yet they are very good and very entertaining movies. They aren't classics but they're still good movies - I'm sure they all got 4 stars and up from the majority of their critics.

What Lies Beneath was kinda lame

That's another one I really liked. I'm not a big fan of suspense movies usually, but I thought that one was pretty good. Then again, since I don't watch a lot of suspense movies, I don't really have a lot to compare it to. Speaking of suspense movies, I need to add Signs to my list. My favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie.

The Green Mile

Very good movie, one I should have included on my list.

I'll tell you then just with From Dusk till Dawn. When you make a movie like that, you have what we call an artistic step (démarche artistique). for example in FDTD, this step is to blow away the whole movie by introducing a vampire concept without any warning after 45 minutes where they were building Tarantino and Clooney characters. It is a thing Rodriguez and Tarrantino made and you won't see that anywhere else...

Some others artistic steps (or initiatives) : playing with the chronology (Memento, Run Lola Run... movies you would put in your "wasting time list"...), mixing colours/blackandwhite/animation/etc (Kill Bill), puting a strange character in the real world (Edwards Scissorshands).... so many others things to include in a movie other than action and some jokes (Indiana Jones)

My point exactly, OVERRATED.

Like I said, none of that artistic stuff matters to me. All I care about is if the story is interesting and if the movie is entertaining. Indiana Jones, since you used that as an example of a typical action movie, had interesting stories and entertained me. It wouldn't have made a difference to me if they mixed colors or went black and white, that doesn't add anything in my opinion. For me, FDTD was a lame story, thus I didn't like it, no matter how artistic it was. It was like a bad 60's B movie or something.

Memento is one I should put on my list before my month of movies is up, it sounded very interesting to me.

Well I've never seen any of those movies so they weren't the ones I'm speaking of. But maybe artistic is the wrong word - just I like dramas

Well, a lot of the movies on my list are dramatic. Field of Dreams and Bridge on the River Kwai are pretty much straight dramas. Remember the Titans and Rudy were sports dramas. Star Wars, Braveheart, the Tom Clancy movies, and Backdraft are all action dramas. I think they're all very good because they're not simply one genre. All have good stories and dramatic elements, but also have great action sequences, and in some cases even comedy. None of these movies do I like simply because of the action, but because they have great stories that entertain me.

Like I said, none of that artistic stuff matters to me. All I care about is if the story is interesting and if the movie is entertaining. Indiana Jones, since you used that as an example of a typical action movie, had interesting stories and entertained me. It wouldn't have made a difference to me if they mixed colors or went black and white, that doesn't add anything in my opinion. For me, FDTD was a lame story, thus I didn't like it, no matter how artistic it was. It was like a bad 60's B movie or something.

oh ok but it was just for your "I see no art" thing about Tarrantino's movies, but i understand that many persons are not attracted by thes kind of movies.

oh ok but it was just for your "I see no art" thing about Tarrantino's movies, but i understand that many persons are not attracted by thes kind of movies.

Well, to be honest, I still see nothing artistic about changing movies halfway through, ala FDTD. I mean, when I was watching it, the first thing that came to my mind was that he got stuck in the middle of the movie, got high, and decided it should have vampires in it.

The Usual Suspect had quite a lot of violence in it, if I recall correctly.

Great movie though. I like Kevin Spacey and I think Gabriel Byrne is good too.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Well, to be honest, I still see nothing artistic about changing movies halfway through, ala FDTD. I mean, when I was watching it, the first thing that came to my mind was that he got stuck in the middle of the movie, got high, and decided it should have vampires in it.

Guess you've never watch the extra features...

Guess you've never watch the extra features...

Have only seen the movie itself on the movie channel back at college.

P.S. Thanks for reminding me about Memento, just got done watching it and it was freaking awesome. I really didn't see it as an artistic movie, just unique. Great story, great concept, well executed. I thought a movie like Butterfly Effect had a great concept, but the story itself wasn't great and I didn't think it was done well.

Well, a lot of the movies on my list are dramatic. Field of Dreams and Bridge on the River Kwai are pretty much straight dramas. Remember the Titans and Rudy were sports dramas. Star Wars, Braveheart, the Tom Clancy movies, and Backdraft are all action dramas. I think they're all very good because they're not simply one genre. All have good stories and dramatic elements, but also have great action sequences, and in some cases even comedy. None of these movies do I like simply because of the action, but because they have great stories that entertain me.

Right. I'm talking about movies that critics tend to like. I tend to like the same movies.

The Usual Suspect had quite a lot of violence in it, if I recall correctly.

Great movie though. I like Kevin Spacey and I think Gabriel Byrne is good too.

There is mention of violence and there are guns drawn, yeah, but I only remember one real shooting scene (at the end).

Hmm, I haven't actually seen it in a while... But there's also the garage shooting and the snuff in the elevator. There's the part with Keyser Söze.

Besides, just looking at the BBQ'd guy in the hospital all from time to time is bad enough.

ADD: Ah HelI, it's been too long. Now I gotta watch it. Good thing I organized my DVD's yesterday, now I might be able to actually find it on the shelf.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Hmm, I haven't actually seen it in a while... But there's also the garage shooting and the snuff in the elevator. There's the part with Keyser Söze.

Besides, just looking at the BBQ'd guy in the hospital all from time to time is bad enough.

ADD: Ah HelI, it's been too long. Now I gotta watch it. Good thing I organized my DVD's yesterday, now I might be able to actually find it on the shelf.

Ha. It's my favourite movie.