Let's not ignore AK46...

cfposi

Ok, so Andrei Kostitsyn has been with the Habs for 2 regular season games now. He is -1 with 6 shots on goal in a total of 21:48 mins on the ice. In the very little I have seen of this kid in the preseason (stupid tv stations don't show preseason games, but I went to see them in Ottawa), along with these last two games, I really like this guy! He has plenty of hustle and GREAT moves. He could have easily scored 2-3 times last night, so it is just a matter of time before he starts lighting it up. I felt that he definitely merited a thread on this forum to discuss:

1) Do you like him?

2) Should we keep him?

3) Potential?

4) Stuff I can't think of...

ready.....GO! :hockey:

Edited by cfposi

I thought he played fairly well those 2 games. Better than either Pleks or Perez. That being said I would prefer a more experienced forward acquired for that line. Murray has struggled this year and I believe Kost has shown more than he has.

Yeah, I'm surprised by how badly Murray has played. He's nothing like the guy who was so effective last season.

Kosty has looked good, but let's not get carried away - it's two games.

You know, speaking of players under-performing, when you think about it the Habs have been winning games without getting consistent production out of Kovalev, Samsonov, lately Ryder, Markov or Begin, and while missing Bouillon and Dandy. Granted, Souray's tremendous offensive surge has helped, but it definitely bodes well for a club when they can win without that many missing elements and/or high-profile passengers.

Food for thought? Or did I just hijack this thread?? :wacko:

One thing I like about Kosty is that he doesn't seem to require the same 'adaption' time as Lats. Granted AK46 has been in the system a little longer, but I think this is the reason he has stayed on the second line.

As for performing without key components, I agree! This team has done well with certain 'big names' underperforming. I think that once these players start hitting their respetive strides we will see a much more stable team. I even think we can go through this year without the typical 'Habs Midseason Slump'.

Go Habs Go!

Mr. Nasty, why are you taking shots at Perez, the only thing he has done is lead the team in plus minus and plays on the checking line. Which i may add HAS been the most consistant line all year.

Pleks i a 4th line center and great penalty killer. You shouldn't be comparing them.

Kostitsyn looks fine in the 2 games he played. The one thing that stands out is his speed. That will help this lineup for sure.

1) Do you like him?

very much so

2) Should we keep him?

of course I believe he gives Kovalev and Samsonov a much needed jump start

3) Potential?

top two line winger, once he finds his touch and breaks his seal (first goal/assist) the gates will open

4) Stuff I can't think of...

He has great hockey hair.

Edited by JMMR

Mr. Nasty, why are you taking shots at Perez, the only thing he has done is lead the team in plus minus and plays on the checking line. Which i may add HAS been the most consistant line all year.

Pleks i a 4th line center and great penalty killer. You shouldn't be comparing them.

Kostitsyn looks fine in the 2 games he played. The one thing that stands out is his speed. That will help this lineup for sure.

Huh?

No shots fired...he is just better at playing with Bonk and Johnson. He is a good player but he is not a finsher that is needed on a scoring line. He has been great on the shut down line but he fanned on pucks and was not sharp with his passes when playing with Kovalev and Sammy. Obviously Carbonneau agrees he is better suited on the 3rd line. All I said was that Kost seemed to play better with Sammy and Kovalev than Perez!

Pleks is the same thing...a good 2-way player but not a skilled forward, or at least not yet. (IMO)

IMO: He should stay

Don't ask me what we do with the logjam but he's too ready. I was impressed with how he stickhandled the puck through the TB D's legs. I forget which D it was. He ran out of room on the play. Later on during another play Denis robbed him.

Make no mistake. As far as being able to intercept the one timer pass at top speed and snipe it on goal accurately, (IMHO) he's in the A+ class . :clap:

:hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I'd like to see him stay ... he's a shooter ... doesn't hesitate to fire that puck and has a great shot to boot ... but unless a trade happens he'll be sent down ... I don't want him on the 4th line ... same with Guy IMO but that's alittle more doable because he can hit.

1) Do you like him? - yup

2) Should we keep him? - yup

3) Potential? - yup - 1st or second line - yup

4) Stuff I can't think of... - he'll likely replace ak47 - yup

GO :hlogo: GO!

What I like most about Kosty is that he's the type of guy who wants the puck when the game is tight. ie. a kid with potential to become a go-to guy, a game breaker.

He's learned a good deal in the AHL, adapting to the N-A style, learning defense and all that. I dont really think he has anything else to learn there. What he needs now is to learn to perform with the very best, game in and game out. So I think we can keep him in the NHL.

Potential is always tricky. Especially with players who dont have a clear constant progress curve. But like I said before, Kosty has that game-breaker attitude that bodes well. The skills are there, the heart is there, he's competitive... he just needs to put it all together and get results at the NHL level. If he fills out his potential, he could be a Marian Hossa type of winger: shifty, creative and getting shots from anywhere.

He should have made the team before Latendresse. Kostitsyn would have been a top 3 pick in his draft year if not for the epilepsy concerns. Dr. Mulder took care of that with a proper medical diagnosis. He's got skill to burn and is a perfect fit with Kovalev and Samsonov.

He should have made the team before Latendresse. Kostitsyn would have been a top 3 pick in his draft year if not for the epilepsy concerns. Dr. Mulder took care of that with a proper medical diagnosis. He's got skill to burn and is a perfect fit with Kovalev and Samsonov.

He did, since he got a stint with the Habs last seasons. ^_^

This season, as with last, smarty-pants!

Lats beat Kost in camp, but in the end both had a place on the roster so its a moot point "who should have made it first".

There's a pic (on the Habs official website I think) where you see both Lats and Kost from the back, side by side, sitting on the bench. 84 next to 46. I think the Habs future offense was summed up in that picture. I dont know who'll center them, but I'm almost certain that sooner or later you'll have 84 & 46 patrolling the wings of our #1 line and creating chaos in the league. Maybe something like what Bertuzzi & Naslund did back in Vancouver.

He has played alright, but once Higgins comes back there is no room for him. Latendresse at this point deserves to stay with Koivu and Ryder, and I wouldn't mind seeing Higgins try to jump start Samsanov and Kovalev. The line of Perezhogin, Bonk and Johnson play well together, and there is no benefit of playing Kostitsyn on the fourth line. Barring any spectacular offensive production from this guy, he will inevitably be returned to the minors.

I don't understand why AK46 is less deserving to be on this team than downey?? Why not keep him and get rid of Murray (minors/waivers). Then we can alternate who plays based on the type of opposition. Just a thought.

I don't understand why AK46 is less deserving to be on this team than downey?? Why not keep him and get rid of Murray (minors/waivers). Then we can alternate who plays based on the type of opposition. Just a thought.

Because Downey's 7-minutes-a-game-on-the-fourth-line is no place to park Kostitsyn; he'd sit there and rot, even on those nights when he is playing and not watching Downey from the stands. You wouldn't put Koivu in Huet's spot, so no point putting a sniper in the goon's chair.

Different roles..........different players......you need a guy to drop the gloves when needed.......that's not AK46's job.............although in the 2 games this year, I noticed alot of upper body strength --> very hard to knock off the puck

Assuming no further injuries, when Higgins gets back, leave Gui with Saks & Easy, Higs centers the 2 vet comrades..........I would not touch the Bonk line....4th line--> Plex+begin +INSERT Player (against certain teams --> AK46, against others --> Downey........ Murray would be the swing guy....I though he did great in the playoffs last year with Plex..........again, assuming no injuries

On a side note, I noticed a guy named Stafford playing with Buffalo........is he the same guy that Perez high-sticked while playing w/Hamilton??

Different roles..........different players......you need a guy to drop the gloves when needed.......that's not AK46's job.............although in the 2 games this year, I noticed alot of upper body strength --> very hard to knock off the puck

Assuming no further injuries, when Higgins gets back, leave Gui with Saks & Easy, Higs centers the 2 vet comrades..........I would not touch the Bonk line....4th line--> Plex+begin +INSERT Player (against certain teams --> AK46, against others --> Downey........ Murray would be the swing guy....I though he did great in the playoffs last year with Plex..........again, assuming no injuries

On a side note, I noticed a guy named Stafford playing with Buffalo........is he the same guy that Perez high-sticked while playing w/Hamilton??

Ryder needs to act up...the kid asent done anything....he's supposed to be a natural goal scorer....now all he does his give bad giveaways....

and as for Kostytsin...he is the only one looking alive on that seconde line

Perezhogin high-sticked Garrett Stafford. Buffalo has Drew Stafford (who should be the better player of the 2 Staffords).