Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I advice you to hold off on desiring one until they are easier to get, hehe. I hate how they are handling it, with weekly re-launches every Sunday and hoarding till then.

;) If I wanted one badly enough....

I know someone. lol

Wii Sports Number One in Japan

Zelda places third in the first week of sales.

by Anoop Gantayat

December 4, 2006 - Sales totals for the first two days following the Wii's Japanese launch on 12/2 are in. Media Create, by way of Japanese gaming site Game Site EG, reports that the Wii sold 350,358 units over its first two days.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise given the focus of Nintendo's advertising campaign, but Wii Sports was the number one selling game over the two day period, coming in at 176,167 units. Number two was Hajimete no Wii, aka Wii Play. The simple game collection that comes bundled with a second Wiimote sold 175,297 units.

Are you shocked to find that Zelda wasn't the biggest Wii title in Japan? The long awaited revival of realistic Link placed third over the two day period, selling 139,011 units.

Here's how the other launch titles sold:

4. Wario: Smooth Moves (Nintendo, 63,954)

5. Super Swing Golf (Tecmo, 16,908)

6. Ennichi no Tatsujin (Bandai Namco, 10,763)

7. Red Steel (Ubisoft, 9,392)

8. SD Gundam Scad Hammers (Bandai Namco, 9,226)

9. Tamagotchi Pika Pikai Daitouryou (Bandai Namco, 8,042)

10. Elebits (Konami, 5,791)

11. Super Monkey Ball (Sega, 4,423)

12. Crayon Shin Chan (Banpresto, 4,248)

13. Trauma Center (Atlus, 4,107)

14. Kororinpa (Hudson, 2,416)

15. Necro-Nesia (Spike, 1,934)

16. Wing Island (Hudson, 800)

Wii software sold a total of 631,480 units, resulting in a hardware to software tie ratio of 1.80.

While the ratio is much higher than the below 1 ratio that the PS3 faced, Nintendo managed to account of most of the software sales. Heavily advertised titles like Tamagotchi, Elebits and Crayon Shin Chan did not manage to cross the 10,000 mark. For Bandai Namco, this could be a bit disappointing, considering that the first DS Tamagotchi game sold a million units.

Nintendo has promised to ship a million Wii systems to Japan by the end of the year. The Japanese market will also see some big first party titles in a couple of weeks, including Pokemon Battle Revolution. The system and the Nintendo software should sell well, but the big question is how third parties will fare on the typically first party friendly Nintendo hardware.

After emailing the seller again threatening to file a claim on Amazon.com about misrepresenting their product, they finally emailed me back with a number to call. I called them today and asked about a refund and they apologized and said they would give me a full refund. When I asked if that would also cover my cost of shipping them back to them, they told me to keep them for free, they didn't want to bother with paying for shipping again. Now to see if they actually give me my refund...

Sony head calls the Wii more fun the PS3. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft and Sony keep saying that there systems go beyond gaming. Whatever. I think they have lost there way. ITS ABOUT GAMING!!! I could care less if I can store music, pics, etc etc on a system or watch a dvd. Its about gaming, and when you lose that aspect then you've lost me and I'm not a hardcore gamer either.

its offical Sony has lost its way. Its like they have forgotten what and who has brought them to where they are, the gamers. Its about the games.

Anyway anybody check that nextgen console wars website? Wii already has over a million sold!

Micro$oft and Sony made mini desktop systems - that was fairly clear. In fact, in everything they've stated for their vision, that's what the plans are: to make mini "desktop" computer systems to sit on the TV, rather than a smaller monitor.

Sure, they both have high quality games on them, but by adding all the extra stuff, you're right, they've kinda lost their way in terms of a pure gaming machine.

Sony and Microsoft's biggest problems are that they think they can just keep improving graphics without adding any real innovation and the gamers will keep coming back. The hardcore fanbase already saw this as a scam a few years ago, now it's starting to leak into the casual fanbase. Sure, each console has instilled money making franchises (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand Theft Auto <= :puke: ) but if you keep just improving graphics and nothing else, gamers will start to get bored. Grand Theft Auto lost it's luster with Vice City (although I've never had any real patience for this franchise. Apparently killing hookers and blowing up cop cars is more mature then anything Nintendo puts out).

Oh yeah and...

The Japanese market will also see some big first party titles in a couple of weeks, including Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Assholes. It's cause they got the latest one in September, I have to wait till bloody April. :angry:

Sony and Microsoft's biggest problems are that they think they can just keep improving graphics without adding any real innovation and the gamers will keep coming back. The hardcore fanbase already saw this as a scam a few years ago, now it's starting to leak into the casual fanbase. Sure, each console has instilled money making franchises (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand Theft Auto <= :puke: ) but if you keep just improving graphics and nothing else, gamers will start to get bored. Grand Theft Auto lost it's luster with Vice City (although I've never had any real patience for this franchise. Apparently killing hookers and blowing up cop cars is more mature then anything Nintendo puts out).

I agree with you there. I never played GTA 1 or 2, but the third one was mildly entertaining if you were in a violent mood. Vice City plain sucked, I didn't like it one bit. And San Andreas was boring. It was way too big and all the mini side stuff they added detracted from the whole. And just for the record, I never killed the hookers. :P

I agree with you there. I never played GTA 1 or 2, but the third one was mildly entertaining if you were in a violent mood. Vice City plain sucked, I didn't like it one bit. And San Andreas was boring. It was way too big and all the mini side stuff they added detracted from the whole. And just for the record, I never killed the hookers. :P

San Andreas is the only one I ever actually bought, I only borrowed or rented the other ones. I've never found them particularly interesting. They're fun for a few hours but you can only steal so many cars before you get bored. It's mind boggling to me how the series has done so well, they haven't changed anything other then the time period the game is set in.

And living in the "hood" and being "gangsta" just doesn't appeal to me, thats why I don't even own Saints Row. I'm more into that medieval/fantasy stuff. Dragons and princesses and castles and all that kind of stuff.

I tought of picking GTA San Adreas since it's only 30 bucks now, but everytime I come close to buying it, some other game (most likely an RPG) take my interest away from it

San Andreas is the only one I ever actually bought, I only borrowed or rented the other ones. I've never found them particularly interesting. They're fun for a few hours but you can only steal so many cars before you get bored. It's mind boggling to me how the series has done so well, they haven't changed anything other then the time period the game is set in.

And living in the "hood" and being "gangsta" just doesn't appeal to me, thats why I don't even own Saints Row. I'm more into that medieval/fantasy stuff. Dragons and princesses and castles and all that kind of stuff.

w00t for princesses! :king:

But yes, I mainly play fantasy RPGs as well.

i'm trying to but no one in town got Wii to sell. i'm keeping Wii money on me at all times in case I come across one by pure luck...

Nice! At worst if you dont like it you can always trade it for ca$h.

Nice! At worst if you dont like it you can always trade it for ca$h.

Haha, it was Dragon Ball Z which I had on my list. I knew I'd get it since it was at the top but I still feel kinda bad. It also said that it was the only thing Futureshop had so I went and checked out their site. All the ones close to me are sold out of everything Wii related. :o

Great news for Nintendo though.

Good luck my friend.

I still remember everyone at gamefaqs who'd laugh at the people that were gonna be camping for a while, saying they were just gonna go in the afternoon and pick one off the shelf.

Who's the dummy now, I say!