The "Can We Keep The 'D'?" Thread

Psycing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saskin: Cap will increase next season

The team-by-team salary cap in the NHL is expected to rise to between US$46 million and $47.5 million next season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187151&hubname=

Those who did not believe the cap would rise, check this link out. The outlook may be even better than the $2M I figured into my calculations. Good news for teams looking to hold on to some of their assets, right? :D

Eh, yeah. Least in the cases of Rivet and Markov.

But the key question here will be whether Souray wants to re-sign.

And nobody will know that except for him. In any case, I highly doubt he will be traded to anyone. Yes, Montreal needs a 2nd line centre, but they won't get a good one for an impending UFA, unfortunately.

i saw an article on tv where one guy (i forget who...) said that he wxpects that the cap level will rise again. he said that the league is still in a strong profit situation.

so, that with the departure of niinimaa and probably aebischer along with the resigning of rivet for less will leave room for whatever may be needed to sign all three.

the only problem here is that it will likely cost quite a bit more to sign higgins than last year.

then again, ryder may be traded (though not likely)

GO :hlogo: GO!

I think that may have been true in the past, who wants to join a team as messed up as the Habs the last 10 years. with all the pressure. Now with Gainey stableizing things and with good prospects and skill coming up i think that will be changing.

All the more reason to trade some D and get back D who already have a contract. Vishnevski from LA, players like that.

Lubomir Visnovsky is who you're referring to

Vitaly Vishnevski's on ATL I think.

UFAs want to come here, but only if the amount of dollars is more than another bidder. If it isn't, they aren't coming, simple as that.

Rivet for under a million, you are nuts.

If you watched the game last night and the way Rivet owned Briere and kept him from even having a quality scoring chance you will see his value. Rivet plays in every tough position and hasn't missed a game in two full seasons and that is not to say he hasn't been hurt, that shows what kind of team player he is. And that my friends is hard to come bye in the NHL.

If you watched the game last night and the way Rivet owned Briere and kept him from even having a quality scoring chance you will see his value. Rivet plays in every tough position and hasn't missed a game in two full seasons and that is not to say he hasn't been hurt, that shows what kind of team player he is. And that my friends is hard to come bye in the NHL.

:clap:

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/2006/12...number_one.html

A post on the gazette's habs blog by Mike Boone (this guy is awesome) about how important it is to sign Marky... Gotta say i agree with him...

Thanks. Good point.

Hey CC, it's Huet and Aebi who make the defensive numbers look better then they are. You are comfortable watching the D not being able to get the puck out and playing in the D zone allnight? That's what's been happening for years and hasn'r really gooten the Habs anywhere.

You make it sound like attack zone minutes for our opponents are in the 50 minute range a game or something.

Most of the time when they can't get the puck out it's carried along the boards. This strategy is awesome and has alot to do with getting bogged down. As long as no chances or shots materialize, that's fine. Most of the time they manage to play the boards to perfection. This has alot to do with our winning. The slot is generally closed to passing or rushing. The Habs tend to intercept.

The big problem is getting bogged down low. Also, with the board stategy and the slot generally closed for business the shots being made are beyond the hash marks or at the high points. They're not dangerous really.

Yeah, the trouble is that UFAs don't want to come here.

UFA's want to go to a winner. I suspect (hope) the attitude about coming here will change :)

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

UFA's want to go to a winner. I suspect (hope) the attitude about coming here will change :)

I'm really hoping you're right, and I suspect it's true. Not that I want to change around the whole team in the off season; the "building from within" system is just starting to pay huge dividends, but still, it would be to our advantage if Habs Management was in a position to choose who they wanted to sign and be selective with UFA's, instead of chasing UFA's and being unable to attract anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post, with what I think are pretty good guesses at the numbers.

The thing is, we HAVE to resign all three, unless Souray's price just goes out of the stratosphere, because we simply can't replace them. Signing talent costs more than developping it.

I don't think Chipchura's ready to take over Bonk's role. But Pleks is. Lapierre's ready for major NHL minutes. Grabovsky and Kositsyn are both ready to get real shots. Perezhogin is turning into a workhorse.

If we lost Samsonov (I wish), Bonk (I'd be sad, but) and Johnson (see Bonk), we could replace their minutes from within the organization, which would save a lot of money. For the D the opposite is true. If we lose Markov, Rivet and/or Souray, we simply don't have solid young guys ready to play their minutes. However much it costs to sign them, it likely costs more to replace them from outside.

As far as I can tell, Bob's gotta sign the d, and then find the room to pay for it. The place he's going to find it is with young forwards and maybe the backup goalie.

Yeah, when I posted this originally, I had figured Chips would be closer to being NHL ready... but now it's uncertain if he'll need another year. Then again, if he works hard over the summer, anything is possible.

Bonk has played fantastic, and I wouldn't mind if we kept him around, but with young guys on the rise, I'm not sure it will happen. We've got a ton of depth, so eventually push will come to shove and a move will need to be made one way or another. :D

For all three to be signed, I doubt Bonk or Johnson will be back.

It's possible that if one defender isn't signed then one of the two will be back.

Either way top priority will be signing Markov, which will likely be a 4-5 million proposition. Souray will likely command somewhere in that range. If Rivet commits for 2 million or less, then we've got something going. If not then well, there'll be some thinking to do for the braintrust.

Good read. I believe it is imerative we resign Markov and Souray(if he will sign). Then we also have Komi, Boullion, Dandy and don't forget about Streit. That would give us our 6, then we could sign some cheap depth D. Only if Rivet takes a pay cut should we think about resigning him. Up front we have:

LATENDRESSE KOIVU RYDER

SAMSONOV GRABOVSKI KOVALEV

HIGGINS PLEKANEC PEREZHOGIN

BEGIN LAPIERRE KOSTITSYN

BG will try till the last minute to retain Souray, unfortunately, Souray WILL receive a 6.5M offer from SoCal. I'd bet on a sunny place like L.A.

There is no doubt in my mind that we cannot afford him at 6.5M... and there is EVEN LESS doubt in my mind that he's not worth that at all. But heck, McCabbe got that without testing the market... Souray being of the same type, but IMHO extremely better ... he'd get at leat the 6.5M McCabbe got...

UNLESS, Souray loves MTL so much that he wants to stay here for under 5M... but remember, this isn't a soap, this is a business, and Souray is a businessman trying to get as much dough as he can... not as much love as he can... In 10 years he'll realise his mistake, but for now, Money money money money.

In replacement, I could see a guy like Adrian Aucoin, who's earning less, who'd surely like to play here (like Mike Johnson: finally someplace where people like Hockey!!) and who could be had for a dime on the trade market cause he's doing nothing right now. (and it is my opinion that he's Sheldon Souray's clone... they were identical two season ago... MTL loaded up, Souray looks better than he was looking... better team -> became a better player... While Aucoin signed with lowly Chicago, where he looks like shit cause he's got no support.)

Markov, however, might very well re-sign before July 1st. I'd say a contract à la Kaberle. 5 years @ 4.5M per.

Rivet, Bonk, I'd try really hard to keep them... under 2M tough. However, if we really have to, and if we have the $$$ to do so, I'd reoffer what they are earning right now. It's not "outrageous"

I think the one who surprisingly could be traded and clear some cap room is Mr. Kovalev... no idea why I'm saying that, just pure intuition/speculation (Kovalev for Richards .... :mellow: let me dream!!)

I don't think there is any "stud" on the UFA market this upcoming summer though, besides the untouchable studs (patrick marleau)...

haha, just looked, here is my shopping list (somewhat by priority/preference order):

1. Patrick Marleau

2. Daniel Brière

3. Ryan Smyth

4. Eric Brewer

5. Brad Stuart

6. Shane Doan

7. Chris Drury

8. Scott Gomez

9. Datsyuk

10. Paul Mara

11. Handzus

12. Bertuzzi

13. Hartnell

14. Scott Hannan

haha, just looked, here is my shopping list (somewhat by priority/preference order):

1. Patrick Marleau

2. Daniel Brière

3. Ryan Smyth

4. Eric Brewer

5. Brad Stuart

6. Shane Doan

7. Chris Drury

8. Scott Gomez

9. Datsyuk

10. Paul Mara

11. Handzus

12. Bertuzzi

13. Hartnell

14. Scott Hannan

Where would they have the money under the salary cap to keep most of these guys, and of course who do you trade for them?