Nikolai Zherdev

Fanpuck33

http://dispatch.com/dispatch/content/bluej...D1_JN6ALEA.html

I know there were a number of people here who thought bringing Nik Zherdev aboard would be a good idea. I've always been one of Nik's strongest supporters, though I didn't think he'd fit well on the Habs. Anyways, this is an article from the Columbus paper about Zherdev. After reading it, I'm not so sure I want him on the Jackets anymore. This stuff is obviously why the announcers are so tough on him. I've always criticized MacLean for almost letting Nik stay in Russia, but now I know why he was so unwilling to negotatiate below his offer. He always seemed like he had a bit of an ego, but I had no idea it was this bad. This guy has every bit as much talent as Kovalev, but will his attitude simply make him another Samsonov?

Some interesting points:

- Quotes from other players were done without naming the players because nobody had anything good to say about him.

- When coaches lecture him, he often just stares blankly at them and ignores them.

- Has only one friend on the team, and makes no effort to bond with the rest of the team.

- Has aspirations so low that he compares himself to Sergei Samsonov, a player with lots of skill who never made it big.

Seriously, I don't know what you find so shocking about this article. You suggest he can't be another Kovalev, but from what I can see he looks to be just another Kovalev-type enigma, and it's not like we don't need Kovalev on the team.

Is it the whole sticking around only with members of your nationality thing? Well, that is almost a mirror image of the supposed Kovalev situation (I say supposed because the authenticity of that newspaper report was questioned) here with Montreal right now...and I dare say Kovy probably did the same as a kid in New York.

The refusing to listen to coaches? Mike Keenan once left Kovalev on the ice for a 5 minute shift because he would constantly take extra long shifts back then.

And when the media asked young Kovalev what he learned - he said he didn't do learn one thing and couldn't imagine why he would be asked to do anything differently.

Edited by smon

• 3 weeks later...

"I can be a better player. I will be a better player. Wait and see."

Enigma or not, atleast he does it with flair.

From the article:

Asked which NHL player he's most like, Zherdev offered an answer that may send a chill down the Blue Jackets' collective spine.

"I'm a right-handed shot. So, Sergei Samsonov," Zherdev said of the eighth overall choice in the 1997 draft.

Here is the solution to everyone's problems. Obviously all Zherdev needs to get him going is for Columbus to acquire Samsonov. I think Gainey could be convinced to package Samsonov and a couple of prospects or picks in exchange for Nash. Although Nash struggled a bit this season we should be willing to help out the Blue Jackets.

We do have some young Russians in our line up. They might interact well with Zherdev just the same.

yeah !! that worked really good with samsonov !!!

The refusing to listen to coaches? Mike Keenan once left Kovalev on the ice for a 5 minute shift because he would constantly take extra long shifts back then.

kovalev was flattered :lol:

Edited by Fanpuck33

kovalev was flattered :lol:

yep, i heard he was happy just like when Emery fought with Peters

Zherdev ######ed up my fantasy pool

Edited by JoeLassister

• 5 months later...

Well, it seems as though Zherdev is finally putting his game together. He's been giving 60 minutes of effort in each game this year. He's been forechecking, body checking, and killing penalties. He's probably been the most consistent player on the ice this season for the Jackets.

Well, it seems as though Zherdev is finally putting his game together. He's been giving 60 minutes of effort in each game this year. He's been forechecking, body checking, and killing penalties. He's probably been the most consistent player on the ice this season for the Jackets.

so you mean now it would take Ryder, Dandenault AND a 2nd rounder to get him?

And I guess it also demonstrates that certain skilled players take a while to reach their potential in the NHL .... especially foreigners who may not understand culture and language .... some Habs fans could learn from this.

It was a 7 minute shift, just a little heads up.

lol found it on the web, i'v never heard of it before. http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogs...ex-kovalev.html

It could forever become known as the "Story of the Seven Minute Shift", starring Iron Mike Keenan as the coach.

Early in his rookie season with the Rangers, Kovalev was obviously looking to dazzle the hockey world with his skills and talents. During one particular game, he had overextended a shift beyond Keenan's allowed limit by failing to hear or ignoring calls back to the bench. Once he arrived, having been on the ice a total of 1:05, Keenan waved him back into the play.

Kovalev admitted to initially thinking it was because the coach was happy with his efforts.

While Kovalev returned to the play, Keenan instructed players on the bench that no one was to hop over and relieve him. Several times he returned to the play, only to be shunned at the bench upon numerous efforts to get off.

The former Ranger recalled the incident Monday, saying that he had to score a goal just to catch a breather.

Talk about your classic lines!

Kovalev ended up staying on the ice for just over 7 minutes, literaly saved by the end of the period whistle.

Olczyk recounts that the gist of the message may not have hit home as originally intended by Keenan, as the coach squeezed another 5 minute shift out of his winger come the second period.

Who knows, maybe he finally got the drift?

And I guess it also demonstrates that certain skilled players take a while to reach their potential in the NHL .... especially foreigners who may not understand culture and language .... some Habs fans could learn from this.

Culture and language had nothing to do with it. The guy pretty much shunned Sergei Fedorov, whom they brought in to be a mentor to Zherdev. Also, he was able to give interviews in English since at the very least the beginning of last season, so he's been fluent enough to communicate for quite awhile. The team tried hard to make Nikolai feel welcome, and as of last season, he'd rejected those attempts. He would only ever hang out with Alex Svitov, who is now back in Russia. Maybe losing his only friend made him wake up and realize he needed to become a part of the team.

so you mean now it would take Ryder, Dandenault AND a 2nd rounder to get him?

They'd have asked for more than that before he started showing some heart.

• 1 year later...
how about that zherdev trade ?? Howson's most questionnable move IMO.

I still have trouble rooting for the Jackets after the whole Zherdev fiasco. After the 06-07 season I was ready to give up on him. He had a terrible season and everything written about him made him sound like a walking headcase. But early in the 07-08 season, he was a completely new man. During the first couple months, he was better than Nash a lot of nights. He was skating hard, playing defense, doing everything that was asked of him. Was that enough for Hitchcock? Nope. Instead of rewarding him with PK time (with Nik's anticipation, I think he could lead the league in shorties), he was dropped at times to the 4th line. At that point, I knew Hitch was running him out of town.

I somewhat resigned myself to that fact, believing we'd be able to get good value for him. When I saw the trade, I wanted to cry. Not only was Zherdev gone, but so was Fritsche, a fan favorite and 100% effort guy. It only got worse when I saw the return. Tyutin wasn't too bad, I thought he would be a nice part of a bigger package. Only then did I see that the only other part of the package was Christian Backman. What a freaking joke. And on top of that, they signed Kristian Huselius to replace Zherdev, knowing full well that Huselius has a history of not getting along with his defense-first coach. And of course, this was all after they didn't want to pay Hainsey 4.5 million and instead gave the money to Mike Commodore. They complain about not having puck moving D-men, so they let their best one walk away.

They complain about not having puck moving D-men, so they let their best one walk away.

More like run away from perhaps the most poorly managed hockey franchise in the NHL....maybe that's why Legion Retired

Edited by markierung

More like run away from perhaps the most poorly managed hockey franchise in the NHL....maybe that's why Legion Retired

Nah, Hainsey wanted to stay in Columbus. They were the ones who helped get his career turned around and he wanted to stay loyal to them. Then here comes Howson calling him a 3rd paring D-man and low-balls him.

Who is Legion? A nickname for someone?

Nah, Hainsey wanted to stay in Columbus. They were the ones who helped get his career turned around and he wanted to stay loyal to them. Then here comes Howson calling him a 3rd paring D-man and low-balls him.

Who is Legion? A nickname for someone?

I think he meant Stefan Legein, that 19 year old top prospect Columbus drafted who retired.

I have my doubts that Legein quit hockey due to anything related with being in the Blue Jackets' system.

Even though he was one of their good prospects, he had many options at his disposition to get himself out of Columbus if that was the reason why he quit hockey.

Edited by Tony

I have my doubts that Legein quit hockey due to anything related with being in the Blue Jackets' system.

Even though he was one of their good prospects, he had many options at his disposition to get himself out of Columbus if that was the reason why he quit hockey.

i know...I was just kidding :monkey: