P.K. Gets an Invite to the All-Star Weekend

lazy26

Subban is only there for the skills and rookie game so it shouldn't take away from his rest too much.

That's the good thing. Can't help but wonder if the negativity surrounding him (particularly after last night's game) will cause some trouble though.

Uh, the All-Star Weekend is just a bunch of schmoozing. Price won't nearly have the demands he had at home in Montreal, either, and isn't rushing back from injury like last time, too.

This weekend will have no effect on either player, really. If this weekend did have the effects you guys seem to insist it does, guys like Crosby, Lidstrom and Ovechkin would be terrible 2nd half performers.

Uh, the All-Star Weekend is just a bunch of schmoozing. Price won't nearly have the demands he had at home in Montreal, either, and isn't rushing back from injury like last time, too.

This weekend will have no effect on either player, really. If this weekend did have the effects you guys seem to insist it does, guys like Crosby, Lidstrom and Ovechkin would be terrible 2nd half performers.

Terrible 2nd half performers is a bit of a stretch. But do some of these players struggle out of the break? Yep. Several others go out of their way to miss the event, a lot of that is because they want family time, but also rest. The schmoozing part isn't on ice stuff but the players are all still there, hob-nobbing with the media, fans, etc. Mentally, the body is still working. Is it chaotic? Nope, nor should it have a significant impact. The fact it's not in Montreal will surely help the cause somewhat. That's why I prefer when the Habs don't go - it might or might not have lingering effects, but why take the chance? (And this is coming from someone who wrote earlier this week about a scenario where every team sends multiple players on All-Star weekend...)

Terrible 2nd half performers is a bit of a stretch. But do some of these players struggle out of the break? Yep. Several others go out of their way to miss the event, a lot of that is because they want family time, but also rest. The schmoozing part isn't on ice stuff but the players are all still there, hob-nobbing with the media, fans, etc. Mentally, the body is still working. Is it chaotic? Nope, nor should it have a significant impact. The fact it's not in Montreal will surely help the cause somewhat. That's why I prefer when the Habs don't go - it might or might not have lingering effects, but why take the chance? (And this is coming from someone who wrote earlier this week about a scenario where every team sends multiple players on All-Star weekend...)

Brian I think you overestimate the risk of injuries. All-star game is an important part of a player's career. How many players were injured because of the ASG/competition? Very few. The biggest risk is on goaltenders pulling their groin during the skills competition. No players will get their shoulders separated or a concussion.

Plekanec not being invited can do more damage than him not having 2 days rest. Plekanec has tremendous skills, but his success is in large part on confidence in his own abilities. Not being considered for the all-star game despite being probably one of the best 2-ways forward in the game is a shocker. If we want Plekanec to reach yet another level, we need to wish him some recognition by his peers, some boost in confidence, some beneficial interaction with the league's stars. This is very important IMO. I am very disappointed for him and I hope he takes it positively and works harder at -yet again- proving the league's and the team his value.

The point I want to make is that you need better confidence to excel, and you don't get more confidence by sleeping 2 extra days while the NHL stars showcase their talents, share stories and earn some glowing experience they can bring back and make benefit the whole organization.

Just for the record, I never mentioned risk of injury, though if someone were to be hurt, that might actually be a little funny considering the non-contact of the event.

If Plekanec has to be named as an injury replacement to be motivated properly, then there's something wrong with him. You let your play do the talking, most NHL'ers couldn't care less about the ASG. Being named or not named to an Olympic team is one thing, but this? Not even close. There's a reason most players say the only All-Star teams that matter are the ones at the end of the season. And I'm not sure swapping stories with Joe Blow from San Jose is going to do anything that benefits the organization, perhaps a memory or two for Plekanec but nothing that should impact the team or himself in terms of on-ice play. Frankly, Plekanec is not an All-Star in my books, and there continue to be players not named that I'd put ahead of him; there is one legit All-Star on this team and he was named to the team. But this is about Subban, so I digress. :)

Brian I think you overestimate the risk of injuries. All-star game is an important part of a player's career. How many players were injured because of the ASG/competition? Very few. The biggest risk is on goaltenders pulling their groin during the skills competition. No players will get their shoulders separated or a concussion.

Plekanec not being invited can do more damage than him not having 2 days rest. Plekanec has tremendous skills, but his success is in large part on confidence in his own abilities. Not being considered for the all-star game despite being probably one of the best 2-ways forward in the game is a shocker. If we want Plekanec to reach yet another level, we need to wish him some recognition by his peers, some boost in confidence, some beneficial interaction with the league's stars. This is very important IMO. I am very disappointed for him and I hope he takes it positively and works harder at -yet again- proving the league's and the team his value.

The point I want to make is that you need better confidence to excel, and you don't get more confidence by sleeping 2 extra days while the NHL stars showcase their talents, share stories and earn some glowing experience they can bring back and make benefit the whole organization.

Agreed that playing in the ASG is not very taxing on the body and is hardly more stressful than just having a week off. I'm not one to root against a player I like getting selected to the All-Star Game because I feel that he needs to get some rest and shouldn't be overexerting himself. I am not Plekanec's mother. If he feels like he can play (and he is selected) and he wants to play, then it's kind of silly for us to say that he's making the wrong decision.

Disagreed that Plekanec's confidence will be hurt. He has admitted to enjoying being underrated by the league. He's steadily improving, even since the start of the season, despite nobody considering him an elite forward. I see Plekanec as the type of player that couldn't care less if he is chosen to be in an ASG.

If Pleks really does see himself as all-star material, then I suspect being snubbed would actually serve as extra motivation - to show the bastards. Think of how Kovalev was able to parley being snubbed by the Russian national team into his last truly great season in 2008.

Anyway, I don't think Pleks is indeed all-star calibre. Yes, he's a very good hockey player. But you can list a number of players at his position, even in the conference, who you'd probably rather have OR who are at least more offensively impressive: e.g., Staal, Stamkos, Richards, Backstrom, and Malkin. And that's not even mentioning Crosby.

As for PK, he doesn't need the rest, he's an absolute beast. I'd be more concerned that he'll find the whole affair distracting and ego-inflating, knocking him off the focus he seems to have attained in recent weeks. Then again it's just the 'rookie' game. Frankly, his omission from that game was a bizarre aberration in the first place (name me a rookie defenceman you'd rather have?) - plus this will give him some sort of chance to show sclerotic NHL bores like Mike 'Kramer' Richards that he's not a total jerk-off and maybe build up a bit of good will.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

As for PK, he doesn't need the rest, he's an absolute beast. I'd be more concerned that he'll find the whole affair distracting and ego-inflating, knocking him off the focus he seems to have attained in recent weeks. Then again it's just the 'rookie' game. Frankly, his omission from that game was a bizarre aberration in the first place (name me a rookie defenceman you'd rather have?) - plus this will give him some sort of chance to show sclerotic NHL bores like Mike 'Kramer' Richards that he's not a total jerk-off and maybe build up a bit of good will.

Actually, it appears as if they've scrapped the joke that was the rookie game which is nice - he's just in the Skills contest which I assume is being changed. My concern is the media as you can bet at least most of the following questions will be asked, quite possibly more than once:

1) "P.K., Don Cherry has called you out several times for hot-dogging. Have you seen the comments; what are your thoughts on them?"

2) "Craig Rivet, a former Canadien and respected veteran in the NHL feels you need to tone it down. Your thoughts?"

3) "What did you say to make Mike Richards hate you so much?"

4) "Seeing the response you got Tuesday night, do you feel safe now in Philadelphia?"

5) "Who started the shenanigans in practice that saw you and several different teammates nearly come to blows before the midway point of the season?"

6) As much as I really don't want to write this, I think some idiot will ask... "Do you think some of the players' and fans' angst towards you has to do with your skin colour?"

I could keep going on but this is my biggest concern. The fact that Subban earned this replacement nod will be superceded by all the negativity that's gone on around him this year. The Montreal media will shy away (they know most of the answers already so why ask again) but with other local and national outlets there, the odds of him becoming a story beyond his on-ice contributions seems more likely than not. That was the mental note I mentioned in one of my posts yesterday, especially when it pertains to Subban. That's why I'm not overly thrilled he'll be there, I've just got a bad feeling someone will say something stupid and set off more unwarranted negativity.

Actually, it appears as if they've scrapped the joke that was the rookie game which is nice - he's just in the Skills contest which I assume is being changed. My concern is the media as you can bet at least most of the following questions will be asked, quite possibly more than once:

1) "P.K., Don Cherry has called you out several times for hot-dogging. Have you seen the comments; what are your thoughts on them?"

2) "Craig Rivet, a former Canadien and respected veteran in the NHL feels you need to tone it down. Your thoughts?"

4) "Seeing the response you got Tuesday night, do you feel safe now in Philadelphia?"

5) "Who started the shenanigans in practice that saw you and several different teammates nearly come to blows before the midway point of the season?"

6) As much as I really don't want to write this, I think some idiot will ask... "Do you think some of the players' and fans' angst towards you has to do with your skin colour?"

I could keep going on but this is my biggest concern. The fact that Subban earned this replacement nod will be superceded by all the negativity that's gone on around him this year. The Montreal media will shy away (they know most of the answers already so why ask again) but with other local and national outlets there, the odds of him becoming a story beyond his on-ice contributions seems more likely than not. That was the mental note I mentioned in one of my posts yesterday, especially when it pertains to Subban. That's why I'm not overly thrilled he'll be there, I've just got a bad feeling someone will say something stupid and set off more unwarranted negativity.

I heard a Montreal reporter ask him the color thing before and he just said that that was crazy. I've heard him answer some of the other questions as well, he gives pretty safe answers. I don't think there'll be any controversy.

It looks like all he is going to do is participate in one of the 6 skills competition. My guess would be in the hardest shot competition. That would mean all he's going to Raleigh for is to take 2 slap shots.

edit: Actually on rereading it looks like he will also participate in the shootout challenge.

Edited by Peter Puck

To me, the media bias is obvious. Eg.. PK does a few pumps after scoring the over time winner. He gets asked and apologized. The next day, all the sports media guys were talking about it, with many suggesting it was over the top, but understandable for a rookie... I then watched them show highlights of guys scoring and doing the same stuff. They showed rookies, they showed veterns. They showed several of them doing almost the exact same move that PK did... Finally, one commentator, when asked about PK, referred to the highlights and said "why do we only ask that about PK, why not all those other guys.., Is there something "different about PK", or are we in the media trying to create something out of nothing... If so, why are we doing it..."

I am personally convinced that if PK was a white kid from Saskatoon, no one would care. They would call him full of energy, a great guy in the room who is constantly positive. Since he is black, he apparently has too much "swagger". Pk has the class to never, ever use that excuse, but I think we all know that their is an element to it. I have never seen the Media spend so much negative energy on a rookie, even though there are many examples of worse behavior in the past that barely got a mention.

As for Mike Richards, his main contribution to the history of the game is a rule change to outlaw his favourite tactic to injure his opponents.

I've said before that race plays a subliminal role in this. And I still believe that to be the case. Not for a moment do I believe that his critics overtly subscribe to racist beliefs. What I'm suggesting is that they are using the 'hockey code' as a justification for their negative gut reaction to the sight of a cocky, confident black guy playing hockey. This is, I suspect, especially true of the Milburys and Cherrys, who grew up in an era where African Americans were still expected to 'know their place' and not be 'uppity.' (Again, I do NOT believe that Milbury or Cherry would ever defend that expectation; I'm talking here about deep-seated, gut responses that are a product of social conditioning in a racist society). I realize that this kind of assertion is likely to trigger a strong defensive response, but look at the endless parade of white guys doing exactly the same move as Subban after scoring, then look at Subban doing it...and tell me what the difference is.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't want to imply overt racism, just that subtle "he is different" feeling. Seriously, Laps is ten times the prick that Subban could ever be, yet I have never heard Mike Richards say anything about him, even if he was annoyed on the ice.

As for Cherry, he as several issues. He has trashed a lot of young players, including Crosby, for showing any emotion. He is just stupid that way. Add in the race, and finally, the biggest issue for Cherry.. he is not a Leaf, and you have cherry running at the mouth.

I've said before that race plays a subliminal role in this. And I still believe that to be the case. Not for a moment do I believe that his critics overtly subscribe to racist beliefs. What I'm suggesting is that they are using the 'hockey code' as a justification for their negative gut reaction to the sight of a cocky, confident black guy playing hockey. This is, I suspect, especially true of the Milburys and Cherrys, who grew up in an era where African Americans were still expected to 'know their place' and not be 'uppity.' (Again, I do NOT believe that Milbury or Cherry would ever defend that expectation; I'm talking here about deep-seated, gut responses that are a product of social conditioning in a racist society). I realize that this kind of assertion is likely to trigger a strong defensive response, but look at the endless parade of white guys doing exactly the same move as Subban after scoring, then look at Subban doing it...and tell me what the difference is.

Subban is competing in the Breakaway challenge. Its the one where players get 4 attempts to try any amazing shot they can do. The prettiest move will be voted on by fans.

I wonder how Subban will do? He's up against pretty tough competition.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/45738

Subban is competing in the Breakaway challenge. Its the one where players get 4 attempts to try any amazing shot they can do. The prettiest move will be voted on by fans.

I wonder how Subban will do? He's up against pretty tough competition.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/45738

The player that people call a 'hot dog' in what essentially is the 'hot dog' contest. Somehow that seems just fitting, though the fact he's a d-man is a disadvantage.

The breakaway challenge was terrible. They should do it with an empty net.

I agree. Being black makes him stand out. But by the same token, I'm not sure PK would be as popular among Habs fans if he were white.

It kind of reminds me of the "controversy" Eminem once caused for saying stuff that a thousand black rappers had already said before him. Unconsciously held double standards are exposed.

I'll never understand why people rage so hard against the ASG.

+1

just as if ASG was supposed to be the most exciting thing on Earth. It is boring in football, baseball and basketball. Why wouldn't it be boring in hockey ?

2 years ago, I bought tickets for the ASG weekend. Went to the skills contest and obviously sold the tix for the game.

I don't mind the ASG, just because it is a chance to see all those great players having fun for a change. It can be fun to watch the best players in the world play "pond hockey".

I would love to be at one, to see the players, and party. :)

just as if ASG was supposed to be the most exciting thing on Earth. It is boring in football, baseball and basketball. Why wouldn't it be boring in hockey ?

Disagree completely with baseball. I find that game to be one of the most exciting of the year - it actually is a legit baseball game. The top hitters facing the top pitchers who aren't going at half speed like in hockey or basketball. It's almost always low scoring and close, I always make a point to catch at least part of that game. The rest though I agree, they're all bad.