Top Shelf Prospects on the Habs

Commandant

He'd be right with Jones and Drouin IMO.

He's got potential to be a consistent 75-80 point guy with a few monster seasons above that.

Reaching that potential? Now thats the question.

Comon'. It's a gimme. Just like Subban.

I would love to see Beaulieu on the roster to start the season. Him and Gorges would make a solid pairing.

Yes would be nice to see Beaulieu make the roster, but; Gorges has to play top 4 minutes and he couldn't carry Beaulieu for 20+minutes and cover up for his defensive gaffs. Beaulieu will get there, but still needs to improve play in own end.

Offense from the back end is not missing from current top six, but defensive coverage is more a concern with Subban still learning, Gorges, Boullion and Diaz being smallish, Yemelin out and Markov, while plays a very smart game, has never been real strong in own end.

Yes would be nice to see Beaulieu make the roster, but; Gorges has to play top 4 minutes and he couldn't carry Beaulieu for 20+minutes and cover up for his defensive gaffs. Beaulieu will get there, but still needs to improve play in own end.

Offense from the back end is not missing from current top six, but defensive coverage is more a concern with Subban still learning, Gorges, Boullion and Diaz being smallish, Yemelin out and Markov, while plays a very smart game, has never been real strong in own end.

Markov has never been strong in his own end?? I hope you aren't trying to be serious...he was known for his offense but was pretty damn good defending too. Makes me question the rest of your post...

• Upvote 1

Markov has never been strong in his own end?? I hope you aren't trying to be serious...he was known for his offense but was pretty damn good defending too. Makes me question the rest of your post...

Depends what he means by "strong". I too would think defensively capable, but it's possible that there was more of a phyical implication. Markov is great in his own end, but has never been one to assert much in the way of strong, physical play.

• Upvote 1

Lidstrom never asserted himself physically either, but was still one of the best defenders in the game because his hockey IQ, positionjng and ability to read plays.

Depends what he means by "strong". I too would think defensively capable, but it's possible that there was more of a phyical implication. Markov is great in his own end, but has never been one to assert much in the way of strong, physical play.

• Upvote 2

correct sure he doesn't throw hits and I'd rather him not anyway, in fact he should avoid contact at all costs play the same style as Nik Lidstrom thas.

Use the magic stick to just pull the puck off of guys.

Guest Stogey24

correct sure he doesn't throw hits and I'd rather him not anyway, in fact he should avoid contact at all costs play the same style as Nik Lidstrom thas.

I'm interested to see the type of ice time Markov gets. I'm sure it will be around the 20 minute mark to begin the season. I'm just truly sceptical about him going a whole season at that rate. That knee scares me.

Markov used to play 24 minutes/game and overall he played at an All Star level, but it was moving puck and his vision that is his strong suit not defense. But he is a forward turned d-man so no surprise his defense is only what I might call average in his own end.

But no way should anyone compare his game to a first ballot hall of fame d-man like Lidstrom.

We hope Beaulieu and Dietz may end being very similar puck moving d-men, but, both will have a bit more edge to their game.

Markov used to play 24 minutes/game and overall he played at an All Star level, but it was moving puck and his vision that is his strong suit not defense. But he is a forward turned d-man so no surprise his defense is only what I might call average in his own end.

But no way should anyone compare his game to a first ballot hall of fame d-man like Lidstrom.

We hope Beaulieu and Dietz may end being very similar puck moving d-men, but, both will have a bit more edge to their game.

You realize that Ovechking once said that Markov was THE TOUGHEST guy to play against, right ?

Markov was a tier below Lidstrom when he was in his prime but that doesn't mean being a tier below Lidstrom means defence isn't one of your strong suits.

Where as Lidstrom would cut the ice in half and eliminate a rushing forwards decisions, Markov was very good at forcing perimeter shots and not being caught by dekes. That's why Ovechkin called him the toughest player to play against. Markov could read his next move pretty well.

• Upvote 1

Ovechkin called Markov the toughest D-man to play against. Joe Thornton referred to him as an absolute "stud" when Cammalleri consulted him about possible teammates in Montreal when he was considering signing here. This idea that #79 in his prime was soft in his own end is utter bunk.

Ovechkin called Markov the toughest D-man to play against. Joe Thornton referred to him as an absolute "stud" when Cammalleri consulted him about possible teammates in Montreal when he was considering signing here. This idea that #79 in his prime was soft in his own end is utter bunk.

Cant even remember him ever even throwing a hit? But neither has Erik Karlsson nor Mike Green; which is fine if you can contribute in other ways.

• 2 weeks later...