Habs @ Avs, Feb 6, 21:00 ET

illWill

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's funny how it goes. Some players just seem to have a rep, an aura, such that people think of them as stars even when their numbers, on closer inspection, aren't all that great. Duchene is one of these guys. He has caché, is still widely thought of as an elite youngish player. Yet he only has 1 1/2 PPG seasons and has been a 60 point guy, as you say, the rest of the time. Plus he has zero playoff track record.

Indeed, I'll bet the average fan thinks of Duchene with much more awe than they think of Galchenyuk, who you never hear mentioned in lists of the league's great young guns. Yet Galy has a comparable profile.

I know that the buzzards start circling any team that has collapsed, but unless Duchene is a problem in the room, I don't understand why the Avs would trade him - and certainly not for Beaulieau (who seems to be most realistically pegged as a second-pairing guy) and a 'might hit' prospect. Now, Sergachev would get her done. The Avs could then claim to be rebuilding with blue-chip youngsters. Other than that, I don't see it.

The only thing I'll say is that Joe Sakic hasn't been the brightest bulb at the GM table. 

He's a legendary player instead of a backup goalie, so no one is giving him the Garth Snow treatment yet, but thats about what he deserves given the contract he gave to Soderberg, the fact he traded O'Reilly and got really nothing, the Mikael Boedker trade, letting Stastny walk, Parenteau's contract, the contract for Beauchemin, etc...

His transaction history is very Garth Snow like. 

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

While everyone dreams about Duchene, you're all missing the biggest story line of all for tonight...it's Barberio's first game against his old team.

He should be good for 1a.

:1gohabs:

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Being dominated by the worst team in the NHL...I want to puke.

It's getting worse.  Down 2-0 after about 2 1/2 minutes.  Price should have had the second goal.

I thought they looked a fair bit better after that second goal but how does it get to that point?  The Petry-Beaulieu pairing couldn't have played that second goal any worse (and Price should have had that too).  I know Colorado is motivated for this game but after losing three straight, Montreal should be too.  They haven't shown it enough yet tonight.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I thought they looked a fair bit better after that second goal but how does it get to that point?  The Petry-Beaulieu pairing couldn't have played that second goal any worse (and Price should have had that too).  I know Colorado is motivated for this game but after losing three straight, Montreal should be too.  They haven't shown it enough yet tonight.

I think now is the time we move Beaulieu up and Emilin down. The Petry/Beaulieu pairing is not meshing well.

I hope MT cursed them out good during the intermission.

If they play another period like the 1st, I'd be ok with him breaking a stick over one of them during the next intermission.

This team looks as inspired as....the Boston Bruins.  Let's hope the management follows their lead today by firing their head coach.

If the Habs lose the next 4 games which would put them on a 7 game losing streak to start their bye week, that would be the ideal time to get rid of Therrien.  

8 minutes ago, habscout said:

This team looks as inspired as....the Boston Bruins.  Let's hope the management follows their lead today by firing their head coach.

If the Habs lose the next 4 games which would put them on a 7 game losing streak to start their bye week, that would be the ideal time to get rid of Therrien.  

make it so

Just now, THE Bobby Orr said:

make it so

If it happens then I'll call it the "bye bye Therrien" week.  :-)