Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2018/19 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

On 3/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, Trizzak said:

Reporters need to start pressuring Bergevin on management's mishandling of the farm team. 

Unless a slew of overager signings are coming, Laval is running on fumes. 

MB left Laval out to dry--- I am convinced that he don't give two hoots about the farm team-- MB's tenure is starting to take on water- this could be his Achilles heal

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

MB left Laval out to dry--- I am convinced that he don't give two hoots about the farm team-- MB's tenure is starting to take on water- this could be his Achilles heal

Earlier in the season I thought that by design they were not pushing to fill laval with high end talent because players on professional contracts would need to be protected in the expansion Draft.

But I am not 100% certain 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Earlier in the season I thought that by design they were not pushing to fill laval with high end talent because players on professional contracts would need to be protected in the expansion Draft.

I don't know where to go with your comment. 

17 hours ago, BlueKross said:

Unfortunately the Habs lost Scherbak, de la Rose, and Agostino on waivers.  Those 3 would have helped during the stretch run down in Laval.  Lindgren's poor season didn't help matters, nor did the multiple injuries to key guys (Juulsen, McCarron, and even Lindgren himself).

At least there is help coming next year.  Possibly Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook.  If Walford and Tyszka are signed, they should provide some added depth.  There's also the possibility of the Habs convincing some other draft picks to sign (Primeau, Ikonen, Romanov, Ylonen, and Olofsson).  Maybe 1 or 2 UDFA get signed as well.  Jimmy Schuldt would be interesting for sure.  There were some of Montreal's top scouting guys at the Rouyn-Noranda - Sherbrooke game recently.  Speculation was that they were possibly scouting Samuel Harvey (who was at one of the Habs camps last year), Peter Abbandonato (who currently leads the QMJHL in scoring), and Samuel Poulin (who looks to be a first round candidate for this year's draft).  I'm sure they took a peek at Teasdale too while they were there.

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

High-end talent in the minors often consists of veteran players.  That would have no bearing on expansion as those players often sign year-to-year deals in unrestricted free agency.  Bergevin actually signed some of those guys this year (Agostino/Chaput/Ouellet) but as usual, a lack of AHL-calibre depth to cover when injuries/recalls arise has been their downfall.  Yes, they lost some players on waivers but instead of moving to replace them, he did nothing.  Instead of moving out fringe guys for someone else to try, he just went for the contract termination.  While I get the value in having an extra contract slot, there's also value in having capable depth players in the system so you're not going and signing a 25-year-old ECHL player and putting him on the top line.

They haven't really held off on signing anyone due to expansion.  Poehling had planned all along to play this season while the European guys weren't expected to come over either.  Seattle's expansion timeline wasn't known until December so it shouldn't have had any bearing whatsoever in Bergevin's planning (or lack thereof) in Laval.

that's why I said I didn't know. 

Thanks Brian for the clarification. In this light MB looks like a very poor GM while in view if the Habs NHL signings he looks like a genius

hit and miss