The Finals Are Set

jetsniper

What an ugly, ugly matchup......

Can't stand the 'Canes(and it has nothing to do with them beating the Habs) and have a strong longtime disliking for the Oilers.....

Have to pick one - then the Oilers. Not because they're a Canadian team, but because I dislike Carolina even more. Rank them up there with the Nordiques and the Leafs on the don't cheer for list in our household.

Have to pick Carolina in 6 though.....

Go Oilers..... (man that hurts to say!)

Victory to Edmonton Oilers.

Why?

Carolina Hurricans would have lost to the Montreal Canadien if Justin Williams had his stick where it's suppose to be: On the ice.

I just can't believe that a rookie goaltender can carry his team all the way to the cup. Cam Ward has been great but Roloson better.

Edmonton has 17 players with a + in the +/-. Carolina has just 9.

Edmonton has Chris Pronger, Carolina has Bret Hedican.

Victory to Edmonton Oilers.

Why?

Carolina Hurricans would have lost to the Montreal Canadien if Justin Williams had his stick where it's suppose to be: On the ice.

I just can't believe that a rookie goaltender can carry his team all the way to the cup. Cam Ward has been great but Roloson better.

Edmonton has 17 players with a + in the +/-. Carolina has just 9.

Edmonton has Chris Pronger, Carolina has Bret Hedican.

Don't forget, Carolina was also struggling to beat a team that was missing it's top 2,3 even 4 defensemen. And Buffalo's are only good not great. Not they have to face the likes of Pronger, Smith and Staios with the same kind of speedy forwards that Buffalo had.

Edmonton in 7. Along with Dallas, Edmonton is the most well-rounded team in these playoffs. They simply have it all. I can see Edmonton matching up against the Canes in every single category. I also hate the Canes and like the Oilers' underrated players (Hemsky, Smyth, Smith, Horcoff, Moreau) so I'm routing for the Oil.

I think it'll go 7 games though because Carolina isn't an easy team to beat. They're quite well-rounded themselves but Ward has only been good not great since the Habs series and I think the Edmonton PP will be too much for the Canes' defence. I think Ward gave away a game in the past 2 series' and that's unacceptable in the SCF. The Oil have the hotter and more experienced goalie, the strong special teams, the hard-working gritty priceless players, the underdog mentality (no pressure), a mini-Iginla (in Ryan Smyth), speed, skill, a team based around the New NHL and Chris Pronger. Of all these, Chris Pronger is the thing that Carolina can not evenb come close to matching.

nobody as the guts of call a team in four !!?

well, let me be the 1st to call the oilers to win the avco cup over the whalers in 4 games

Edited by marky_and_komi

Wow! What a game!

Admittedly i'd lost a lot of enthousiasm in the playoffs since the Habs got eliminated, but that was one incredible hockey game, one of the more exciting ones i've ever seen. This is going to be a great series, although if Roloson is out for a while Edmonton could be in tough.

Hey- to any other Manitobans out there, Ken Dryden is going to have a post-leadership debate meet, greet and watch the game get together at Wise Guys on Campus this Saturday night. I am so there! How often do you get to watch game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals with someone who has won 6?

Awesome game- but I was so mad at that final goal! And I thought we were going into overtime!

Series is over. Bloody Carolina (god i hate that team) are going to sweep now, what a disgrace to hockey that a team from north carolina wins the cup. Lord Stanley is turning in his grave thats two years in a row (well technically three) of teams winning in towns that should not have teams, unbelievable.

Series is over. Bloody Carolina (god i hate that team) are going to sweep now, what a disgrace to hockey that a team from north carolina wins the cup. Lord Stanley is turning in his grave thats two years in a row (well technically three) of teams winning in towns that should not have teams, unbelievable.

And what makes you say these cities don't deserve teams? Tampa's fans have proven themselves worthy. Their attendance rate improved each of the last 3 seasons. They clearly struggled this year, but the fans came anyway. They averaged above arena capacity on the season. When Montreal finished similar in the standings in 2002 and 2004, they didn't average a sellout. Sure, Tampa was riding a Cup win, but that was over a year ago and their struggles started early.

Carolina, they still need to prove themselves. Perhaps a Cup win could go a long way to establishing hockey in North Carolina. Carolina might not have a huge following yet, but from what I can see, the fans they do have are enjoying the run and are excited about being where they are. They know how special a Cup is.

New Jersey is a city with three Cups and people never talk about it not being a hockey town. Well, they haven't even fill 80% of the seats the last 3 seasons. And Chicago, an Original Six city can't fill 70% of the seats. Very few sports cities have truly loyal fans. Montreal in the NHL and Chicago in the MLB are two of those rare cities that will have good attendance no matter what.

As for the series, never say never. This is the stuff legends are made of. "After making a critical error in Game 1, Ty Conklin put the team on his shoulders and never looked back." Crazier things have happened.

However, I'm still rooting for Carolina.

I'm pro Canada and Northeastern and Northwestern teams. NHL belongs in places that actually play hockey then they would actually make some tv money because people in those markets would actually watch their teams play. Even in a town like St. Louis we get horrible tv numbers (even when the team was good) but the arenas were sold out which makes the popularity of the game decieving.

But don't you think that an NHL team will make hockey grow in these areas? Before the Blue Jackets came to Ohio, hockey was moderately popular in Ohio. There were some High School teams, but not too many. Since the Jackets came, however, the popularity of the sport has grown exponentionally. There are more high school teams than ever. And the Jackets themselves have gained a solid fan base, selling most tickets despite never even sniffing the playoffs. Sure, a lot of fans are there to see Jody Shelley fight, but as long as they are there, they are learning about the game and it is growing on them.

It's a big oppurtunity. I'd go with Markkanen, Conklin's confidence could very well be shot because of that giveaway.

Those Hurricanes sure know how to "accidentally" injure other team's key players, that's all I'm going to say.

But don't you think that an NHL team will make hockey grow in these areas? Before the Blue Jackets came to Ohio, hockey was moderately popular in Ohio. There were some High School teams, but not too many. Since the Jackets came, however, the popularity of the sport has grown exponentionally. There are more high school teams than ever. And the Jackets themselves have gained a solid fan base, selling most tickets despite never even sniffing the playoffs. Sure, a lot of fans are there to see Jody Shelley fight, but as long as they are there, they are learning about the game and it is growing on them.

But thats Ohio, it atleast snows in Ohio. I'm talking about the southern teams where hockey doesn't fit the sports scene down there. In the Southern U.S. its highschool/college/pro football first, baseball and basketball tied for second with NASCAR huge in the bible belt. There simple is no room for the sport to grow because in the fall and spring is football, winter is basketball, summer is baseball or auto racing.

I've have always believed that Bettman moved into the south because people roller blade. Roller skating is differnt then roller hockey. Bettman I think thought the two meant the same so he put a team back in Atlanta, moved the Whalers to Carolina and put a team in the desert in Phoenix and two teams in Florida. Why are there two teams in Florida?? The only team that has actually been a success has been the Stars. Other then that Phoenix has been a disaster. (again look at tv figures not attendance that is the nhl's problem in the states, the only people that care are usually the only people that go to games)

Panthers should fly north

Atlanta is not a sports town its a town of transplants.

So in the end you can make a case for Carolina but the two or three teams that must move (besides the Penguins) are

Pittsburgh - Portland or Seattle

Atlanta - Winnipeg

Florida - Quebec City

Anahiem - Hartford

Nashville - Hamilton

Edited by Pierre the Great