Markov re-signs for three years

The contract is somewhat front-loaded:

14-15: $7 M

15-16: $6 M

16-17: $4.25 M

Another sign that Zoot Suit knows what he's doing. He built the deal to make Markov reasonably tradable if necessary in the later years of the deal.

I brought it up because it should have been part of the discussion on the validity of the signing. I will make one more point--- Nobody knows how our beloved Habs will fair over the next three years. It is in the realm of possibility that the Habs will falter as opposed to Markov and it may make sense to move assets. The front loaded contract looks sharp to me.

He frontloads Markov, backloads Pacioretty and Price. That tells me Subban will likely get backloaded.

I'm not so sure. Frontloaded contracts have really gone to the forefront in recent years. I think there will have to be a signing bonus of some sort in the first couple of years. I suspect the highest salary will be in years 3-6 (his prime UFA years) if management is trying to balance salary relative to expected performance as they did with Markov.

Ok I like this contract a little better. It is a good move by MB. I hadn't thought of this scenario. MB does it again.

Another reason to like this deal. Well done Zuit suit!!!

The actual details of when they get paid are somewhat irrelevant. If there was no cap in place, the Habs could afford to significantly increase the team salary--but by the terms of the CBA, the cap-hit for any contract is divided equally among all years of the contract, regardless of when it's actually being paid. Markov's cap it is 5.75M a year, regardless of his actual salary for that year. Very few teams trade based on the actual amount to be paid, and instead are concerned with salary cap hit. The exceptions occur when a small market team that's under the cap floor wants to hit the floor without paying a whole lot to do so. In the latter part of his contract, Markov will be appealling to those teams. Of course, his limited no-trade clause likely prevents him from being dealt to those teams.

The actual details of when they get paid are somewhat irrelevant. If there was no cap in place, the Habs could afford to significantly increase the team salary--but by the terms of the CBA, the cap-hit for any contract is divided equally among all years of the contract, regardless of when it's actually being paid. Markov's cap it is 5.75M a year, regardless of his actual salary for that year. Very few teams trade based on the actual amount to be paid, and instead are concerned with salary cap hit. The exceptions occur when a small market team that's under the cap floor wants to hit the floor without paying a whole lot to do so. In the latter part of his contract, Markov will be appealling to those teams. Of course, his limited no-trade clause likely prevents him from being dealt to those teams.

There is also the concept of "deep pockets". An owner might choose not to get X player even if his cap is set at 6M$ if the next 3 years are 10M$ each.

This is why the best for a pro sport team is to have a really rich owner. It cancels any concern about the contracts effect but the cap itself.

“Maybe if I go on the free market I can get more. But after the money, maybe I lose more – maybe I lose the atmosphere, the city and the organization of Montreal.

“I’m not the type of guy who likes to change his life completely in hockey,” he added. “What is happening in Montreal right now, I feel like it’s my home. I don’t want to move to another city. Plus, I have a chance to spend the whole of my career on one team. The Canadiens have a great history and it’s nice to be part of that.”

Markov, who has put earlier knee injuries behind him, added: “Now, I feel good. I’m healthy, I know I can play at my level. I’ll try even harder and plus, we have a good team, a good group of guys. I think we’re going to have a good future and I want to be part of that team.”

You really have to love this guy's outlook on the team.

The first line about "losing more" even as you "make more" shows a lot of wisdom. He's saying, in effect, that there's more to his career than money. Too bad more people don't share this very sensible outlook.

“Maybe if I go on the free market I can get more. But after the money, maybe I lose more – maybe I lose the atmosphere, the city and the organization of Montreal.

“I’m not the type of guy who likes to change his life completely in hockey,” he added. “What is happening in Montreal right now, I feel like it’s my home. I don’t want to move to another city. Plus, I have a chance to spend the whole of my career on one team. The Canadiens have a great history and it’s nice to be part of that.”

Markov, who has put earlier knee injuries behind him, added: “Now, I feel good. I’m healthy, I know I can play at my level. I’ll try even harder and plus, we have a good team, a good group of guys. I think we’re going to have a good future and I want to be part of that team.”

You really have to love this guy's outlook on the team.

Lovin' it!! Another guy who WANTS to be in Montreal. That's great!!! Also, without the Olympics this year, I think it is reasonable of us to expect a little more from Markov. Now let's hope that MT can reduce his average minutes per game from 25 minutes to about 22-23 minutes. That way, when the Playoffs come, he'll still have some legs!

Agree, but he still put up good offense in playoffs and played a ton. Subban was the one who looked worn right out, maybe he should spend less time filming himself training and focus on training.

Not enough people noticed that Subban started to flag in the last two games against Body Odour and that it was Markov who really stepped up in those games with dominant performances. Unfortunately, he too dropped off thereafter, but are ya gonna do.

Not enough people noticed that Subban started to flag in the last two games against Body Odour and that it was Markov who really stepped up in those games with dominant performances. Unfortunately, he too dropped off thereafter, but are ya gonna do.

And that's why the team needs Markov. Subban can't be expected to do everything. Few defencemen are. That's the interesting part about Chicago's contract situation. It doesn't really matter what they sign Toews and Kane to if they can't afford Seabrook a year after. If Seabrook is gone, there is pretty much no way they will replace him and it'll expose Keith more than Suter leaving Nashville exposed Weber. LA wouldn't be dominant if Doughty didn't have Voynov. McDonaugh needs Girardi, Pietrangelo needs Bouwmeester, etc.

And that's why the team needs Markov. Subban can't be expected to do everything. Few defencemen are. That's the interesting part about Chicago's contract situation. It doesn't really matter what they sign Toews and Kane to if they can't afford Seabrook a year after. If Seabrook is gone, there is pretty much no way they will replace him and it'll expose Keith more than Suter leaving Nashville exposed Weber. LA wouldn't be dominant if Doughty didn't have Voynov. McDonaugh needs Girardi, Pietrangelo needs Bouwmeester, etc.

You're preaching to the choir, Machine! I thought the idea of not re-signing Markov was basically insane, and although of course a cheaper deal would have been nice I'm happy with the end result. Frankly, the D still needs to get better IMHO - which is the exact opposite of not re-signing Markov.

• 2 weeks later...

Frontloading is more appealling to the player.
Backloading is more appealling to the beancounters in the organization's accounting department.

Both count the same toward your salary cap each year.

The thing is, Montreal has NO salary issues when it comes to affordability. If there were no cap, they could give Subban $14 million a year without even breaking stride. Montreal can therefore ignore how appealling it is to their own beancounters and frontload ALL their contracts to make it appeal to the players, and ignore what it does to their internal budgets.