Galchenyuk to play centre

Meller93

I've spent more time tearing into Eller's game than most but stinks is harsh. He was our 5th best goal scorer at forward last season. We need guys like him scoring 15 goals on the third line. We just need to stop this idea that his potential could be more just because he scored 15 goals on the third line. Shawn Matthias scored 17 on the third line in Vancouver and then signed for $2M in Toronto. It wasn't a huge accomplishment. Brian Boyle potted 15 goals with the same amount of PP time as Eller and even less offensive zone starts. It's not some magical accomplishment but it is valuable to the team.

That said... I get the feeling Jacob De La Rose is after his spot and Therrien thinks DLR will be better suited for it.

I think the fact that he was our 5th best scorer says a lot about this team and it isn't good. We need offence in a big way. If he was our 10th best scorer earning 1.5 mill I am a happy Eller fan.

I've spent more time tearing into Eller's game than most but stinks is harsh. He was our 5th best goal scorer at forward last season. We need guys like him scoring 15 goals on the third line. We just need to stop this idea that his potential could be more just because he scored 15 goals on the third line. Shawn Matthias scored 17 on the third line in Vancouver and then signed for $2M in Toronto. It wasn't a huge accomplishment. Brian Boyle potted 15 goals with the same amount of PP time as Eller and even less offensive zone starts. It's not some magical accomplishment but it is valuable to the team.

That said... I get the feeling Jacob De La Rose is after his spot and Therrien thinks DLR will be better suited for it.

I hate to argue because it's something that may never come into fruition but I think he definitely still(!) does have the potential to develop into something more. That's basically the most frustrating part to his story. Especially when you see him live, it's easy to notice that he does a lot of things better than anyone else on the team. Needless to say he just lacks that consistency and it's his bonehead plays that really brings his overall level down.

I'm not saying he ever will be a top 6 forward or any of that but I do notice a lot of positive elements to his game. He just never put it all together. Which is why I can see it as being understandable for some people to question why it couldn't ever just "click" with him.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is the skill part Galchenyuk struggles with.

Is was the checking opponents in own zone and seemingly trying to do too much (one extra move), that he struggled with last year.

BUT maybe older, bigger, stronger, bit quicker and more confident Galchenyuk will be a super centre this year?

Is was the checking opponents in own zone and seemingly trying to do too much (one extra move), that he struggled with last year.

BUT maybe older, bigger, stronger, bit quicker and more confident Galchenyuk will be a super centre this year?

I don't even worry all that much about the defensive end, although obviously he has to be solid enough that coaches won't vomit in terror every time he's there. The key with Galy is indeed that constant propensity to try, unsuccessfully, to do it all himself. The minute he starts using his teammates in the O-zone on a regular basis is the minute he takes a big step forward in terms of production. However, doing that requires vision - the ability to see the whole ice - and a certain type of playmaking intelligence. Does Galy possess this? I don't really know. It's been three years now that he keeps trying to deke out the whole team. That flat-lined learning curve is worrisome.

XXx, even if what you say about Eller is true, that just means that he is the latest in an infinitely long line of NHL players with 'potential' who 'never quite manage to put it all together.' I'll grant that Eller has always seemed like a guy who could do more: a rangy C who can skate and who has these hot streaks where you really see the top-6 potential. But I've seen this sort of movie enough times not to be fooled any longer. His 'potential' is a tease and almost certainly will never be more than that.

I'll say this: if Eller can convert to a left wing it means everyone in our top six can score 20 goals or more when healthy. That allows the bottom six to have guys like Desharnais, Weise and Kassian to bring the extra goals we were desperately missing.

Don we need english here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry still makes sense to me; but, Galchenyuk struggled defending in his own zone...how is that. :flaming:

If Eller plays top six all season on Galchenyuk's wing with some more PP time , he has to have a good chance to get 20+ goals, wouldn't you say?

Sorry still makes sense to me; but, Galchenyuk struggled defending in his own zone...how is that. :flaming:

If Eller plays top six all season on Galchenyuk's wing with some more PP time , he has to have a good chance to get 20+ goals, wouldn't you say?

If Eller stays on Chuck's wing, yeah, I definitely believe he can score 20.

That is going to be a good line, with an inspired Semin, that is.

Eller can take draws if Chucky struggles, and play the first back checker, and I believe this line will put up numbers if given the chance.

Is this the year of the Eller?

If he doesn't keep up to his exhibition level play, Habs do have a few options like moving Semin to the left wing or, once he's signed, moving Flash to his line and playing Flash and Semin together. They've had chemistry from their days in Washington.

Of course it does. We need Galchenyuk Semin and Eller to score bunches of goals this year, and I think they can. I will be very disappointed, if we don't get 65 goals from that line. Barring injury of course. :flaming:

Galchenyuk is playing second line centre. Plekanec is the first line centre with the two best wingers on the team (Pacioretty, Gallagher) with top powerplay time.

The best "second line" centres in the NHL last season were:

- Tyler Johnson/Steven Stamkos: 72 points

- Evgeni Malkin: 70 points (in 69 games)

- Logan Couture: 67 points

- Joe Thornton: 65 points

- Sean Monahan/Jason Spezza: 62 points

Crazy that SJ worked three centres into the top points but that's SJ. Tampa had two equal top lines. Malkin is a first line centre on just about any other team. Monahan was behind Hudler and Spezza was behind Seguin.

60 would be a top mark in the league for a second line centre.

• Upvote 2

Galchenyuk is playing second line centre. Plekanec is the first line centre with the two best wingers on the team (Pacioretty, Gallagher) with top powerplay time.

The best "second line" centres in the NHL last season were:

- Tyler Johnson/Steven Stamkos: 72 points

- Evgeni Malkin: 70 points (in 69 games)

- Logan Couture: 67 points

- Joe Thornton: 65 points

- Sean Monahan/Jason Spezza: 62 points

Crazy that SJ worked three centres into the top points but that's SJ. Tampa had two equal top lines. Malkin is a first line centre on just about any other team. Monahan was behind Hudler and Spezza was behind Seguin.

60 would be a top mark in the league for a second line centre.

So I am overly optimistic? Gosh I am sorry about that. I believe you aim high young man.

Just heard (Habs vs Sens) another comment about Galychenyuk-Eller line looking like good combination and have played very well so far.

So maybe this year Eller will prove his doubters wrong about no real offense, with a full season on the wing?

Or perhaps will finally see if he is what he is...a solid 3rd line centre?

Just heard (Habs vs Sens) another comment about Galychenyuk-Eller line looking like good combination and have played very well so far.

So maybe this year Eller will prove his doubters wrong about no real offense, with a full season on the wing?

From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

13. Lars Eller’s move to the wing to accommodate Alex Galchenyuk at centre triggered another round of “is this it for him in Montreal?” conversation. One GM pointed out Eller had 14 even-strength goals last season. Other players at that number:Nazem Kadri, Ryan Kesler, Chris Kreider, Bryan Little, David Perron, Wayne Simmondsand Jeff Skinner. Not bad at all.

Guest Stogey24

It will be interesting to see what Eller can do with those two.

Watching that game last night; Semin has some seriously slick hands. Doesn't even look like he's trying

With Galchenyuk and Semin, I think this could be a very dangerous line. These are 3 very talented individuals who may just have found what they were looking for.

In the last two years, any time Eller would play top six LW he was absolutely awful. If the pre-season wasn't a fabrication and he's truly worked hard to become a winger, he has the right tools to be a successful player there. The question is, when unreliable Eller comes out for two months (usually in January), does Therrien keep Eller in the top six or does he try something else?

BUT...when lines shuffled who will be playing with Galchenyuk in 2nd period next Wed? 67-11?

And Petry will be with Subban on top pairing?

It's looking to be Markov - Subban and Emelin - Petry though PP2 will be Beaulieu - Petry.

When lines get shuffled, there won't be too much shuffling. It looks pretty clear what we will see:

Patches - Plek - Gally

Eller - Chuck - Sasha

Flash (if signed) - DD - Weise

Flynn - Mitchell - Kassian

DSP

I'd like petry-Beaulieu to be the regular pairing

It's looking to be Markov - Subban and Emelin - Petry though PP2 will be Beaulieu - Petry.

When lines get shuffled, there won't be too much shuffling. It looks pretty clear what we will see:

Patches - Plek - Gally

Eller - Chuck - Sasha

Flash (if signed) - DD - Weise

Flynn - Mitchell - Kassian

DSP