Which Sport Has the Most Overpaid Players?

Fanpuck33

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sport Has the Most Overpaid Players?

• Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Tie

To me, the battle is easily between baseball and basketball.

Evidence for baseball:

Kyle Lohse: 4.5 million for a bum 5th starter?

Eric Milton: Is being left handed really worth 7 million bucks? Somebody should tell Montreal's many lefties where the real money is!

Evidence for basketball:

Theo Ratliff: 11.1 million for a guy who barely averages 25 minutes a game and can't find the hoop?

Adonal Foyle: Do tall men get paid by the inch? This guy earns 8 million a year!

i voted baseball because of the outrageous george steinbrunner...

GO :hlogo: GO!

basketball

latrell sprewell saying he can't pay the bills on a 20 mil or something salary.

Hahaha, I remember that. He was insulted after they offered him 10 mil a year or something and said "I have a family to feed!"

I voted for baseball by the way, strictly based on the deal A-Rod signed with Texas. I don't care how he played, no one is worth that money. Besides, he never took them anywhere anyway.

Easily gotta be baseball. I mean, half the guys out there aren't "athletes" anyhow. Someone wanna prove to me how Boomer Wells can be considered an athlete with a stomach that would probably be considered obese by the health authorities? At least all basketball players are athletes - no matter how overpaid they are. There's altogether too many baseball players who are just plain fat.

Easily gotta be baseball. I mean, half the guys out there aren't "athletes" anyhow. Someone wanna prove to me how Boomer Wells can be considered an athlete with a stomach that would probably be considered obese by the health authorities? At least all basketball players are athletes - no matter how overpaid they are. There's altogether too many baseball players who are just plain fat.

I know I'm a BoSox fan but the worst is the DH hitters. They don't even have to do half their job and Ortiz obviously isn't in athletic shape. He's clutch though which is where his big bucks come from. Baseball definitely is the most overpaid sport though.

I think people forget about the sheer amount of games that goes into a baseball season. We're talking 162 games plus playoffs and spring training in the span of 8 months. A team that makes the World Series will end up playing about 200 games. Regardless of what some people may think, thats gonna wear on you.

Not to mention the stress. Its one think to play 16 games in front of 70,000 people (NFL). Its a whole different story when day in and day out you have to play baseball in front of 30,000+ day in day out.

Having said that, i really dont know which league has the most overpaid players. You could make arguments for all of the NBA, MLB and NFL imo.

I think people forget about the sheer amount of games that goes into a baseball season. We're talking 162 games plus playoffs and spring training in the span of 8 months. A team that makes the World Series will end up playing about 200 games. Regardless of what some people may think, thats gonna wear on you.

More amazing is that some of those players play in all 162 and are still fat.

:lol:

most NFL linesmen are the same way though.

i still say it's baseball... when you get a team like the yankees that has a team salary base over 200 million... that's ridiculous

someone in there is being overpaid

Most can probably bench 300+ pounds too...

Are olympic weightlifters not athletes either because they are fat?

:lol:

most NFL linesmen are the same way though.

Those same NFL linesman can often run the 40 in 5.4 seconds at worst. Theres a big difference between fat and out of shape lets not forget.

i still say it's baseball... when you get a team like the yankees that has a team salary base over 200 million... that's ridiculous

someone in there is being overpaid

If the Yankees are making money and winning games than are they really overpaid? Its like when Tom Cruise stars in a movie for lets say 20 million. Lets say that movie goes on to make 200 million, and without his starpower it is likely the movie would have only drawn 100 million. Did the producers of the movie still overpay to get Tom Cruise in their movie?

I still say people are underatting the stress that would go along with having to play 162 games a year in front of 30,000+ fans. Maybe i only feel this way because i got the jitters before even a high school football game? :unsure:

I had to say basketball in this one. At least in baseball it looks like most players are making in effort to play both sides of the game; offense and defense. Take a look at the comparison between college basketball and the NBA. You know what the primary difference is? DEFENSE!!! In college ball rarely do two teams both score over 100 points in a game whereas in the NBA, this occurs on a nightly basis. I love the basketball "enthusiasts" who then try and tell people that it is only because there is more offensive talent in the NBA. Yeah right. If the offensive side of the game is far superior to that seen at the college level, shouldn't the defensive side be elevated as well? Riddle me this; When is the last time that you have seen a true offensive "superstar" in the NBA (Kobe, Lebron James, etc.) acutally hustle and RUN back to play defense? I've never seen it. The only player off the top of my head that plays both sides of the ball and plays with 110% heart every night is probably Steve Nash, who, is in fact Canadian :can: :D It seems like nobody in the NBA plays with any heart or is even grateful to be there. This is ironic when they pick up many of these thugs off the streets and ghettos. Bunch of spoiled babies if you ask me... There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but to me, it seems like a majority of the players in the league are completely indifferent to everyone else around them.

By the way, why do they even bother playing basketball games for as long as they do? In 90% of the games the only part that matters is the last 2 minutes. Oh yeah forgot to mention, all of a sudden during this time of the game the defense seems to pick up. Hmmmmm........No correlation I'm sure

Sorry all of you basketball lovers out there...Nothing personal at all, just my opinion! :)

there is not any man on heart who should win 1 000 000 per year if a doctor makes 150 000. bottom line

the maximum salary should be 500 000 for everyone : sports players, actors, etc.

Only those who own a company or a team or the copyrights on the wheel should earn over an half million.